Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Bicycle, Bicycles, Bicycling, Bicyclists, Bikers

Notices

Bicycle, Bicycles, Bicycling, Bicyclists, Bikers

Old 12-22-2018, 01:23 PM
  #941  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,857
Received 2,664 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Default

He spent quite a bit of time occupying the entire bike lane with his dog darting back and forth. You won't get anywhere quickly or get any quality exercise on that path, but it's fine for just getting outside in the fresh air. To me is just a fascinating study in human idiocy. I am truly blessed to have the path that leads to the pictured path. It spans nearly 30 miles in length with no traffic conflicts and few other users.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:52 PM
  #942  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nashville, 'Merica!
Posts: 1,748
Received 2,939 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
I started this thread with an image that showed a "perfectly good" bike path. There have been some others posted. This pic illustrates a pretty good reason a cyclist may not find that "perfectly good" path as appealing as you think they should. This particular moran user occupied the entire bike path for much of his meandering jaunt across many of the bike lane markings. You'd think the markings would be obvious, but they are apparently far from it. This path is a continuous hazard to the cyclist. I ride it every now and then just for the sake of amusement...and yoga pants. The marking in between the two paths is not designated or explained on any signage. It seems self explanatory to me, but it seems to be difficult for many to figure out.

Attachment 1092759
*moron

Old 12-22-2018, 06:42 PM
  #943  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,857
Received 2,664 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Default

Name:  xbiqykK.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  78.0 KB
Old 12-22-2018, 07:20 PM
  #944  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,969
Received 3,870 Likes on 2,225 Posts
Default

I always thot that were a Good picture of Me
Old 01-02-2019, 04:53 PM
  #945  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Kent, VA
Posts: 2,476
Received 287 Likes on 156 Posts
Default

suggestions for road tires? My Fuji has 700x23 tires on them, the area I live in the roads are rough, mostly this tar and chip stuff so a durable tire would be nice. Also, I was wondering if I could put a wider tire on the same rims, maybe handle the rough roads a bit better. My new Trek has 700x32 tires on them and does better
Old 01-02-2019, 08:42 PM
  #946  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location:
Posts: 778
Likes: 0
Received 252 Likes on 152 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TripleCrownNC View Post
suggestions for road tires? My Fuji has 700x23 tires on them, the area I live in the roads are rough, mostly this tar and chip stuff so a durable tire would be nice. Also, I was wondering if I could put a wider tire on the same rims, maybe handle the rough roads a bit better. My new Trek has 700x32 tires on them and does better
Do you have traditional or disc brakes ? Regular brakes you should be fine with 25s; disc should be able to go as big as you want. Gator Skins are pretty popular; I have gone through two pairs of continental four seasons this year and liked them
Old 01-03-2019, 05:34 AM
  #947  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Kent, VA
Posts: 2,476
Received 287 Likes on 156 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by grouperdawg View Post


Do you have traditional or disc brakes ? Regular brakes you should be fine with 25s; disc should be able to go as big as you want. Gator Skins are pretty popular; I have gone through two pairs of continental four seasons this year and liked them
My Fuji has traditional brakes. So its not an issue with the rim, just brake clearance I guess. thanks
Old 01-03-2019, 05:55 AM
  #948  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location:
Posts: 778
Likes: 0
Received 252 Likes on 152 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TripleCrownNC View Post
My Fuji has traditional brakes. So its not an issue with the rim, just brake clearance I guess. thanks
yes....amazon can have good prices on tire pairs sometimes. I'd get 25 s and you could always let a little air out too, give up some speed for better ride
Old 01-03-2019, 06:07 AM
  #949  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,752
Received 592 Likes on 377 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
I started this thread with an image that showed a "perfectly good" bike path. There have been some others posted. This pic illustrates a pretty good reason a cyclist may not find that "perfectly good" path as appealing as you think they should. This particular moran user occupied the entire bike path for much of his meandering jaunt across many of the bike lane markings. You'd think the markings would be obvious, but they are apparently far from it. This path is a continuous hazard to the cyclist. I ride it every now and then just for the sake of amusement...and yoga pants. The marking in between the two paths is not designated or explained on any signage. It seems self explanatory to me, but it seems to be difficult for many to figure out.

Attachment 1092759
I would have to make a high speed fly by.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:01 AM
  #950  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
Posts: 157
Received 822 Likes on 554 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by grouperdawg View Post


yes....amazon can have good prices on tire pairs sometimes. I'd get 25 s and you could always let a little air out too, give up some speed for better ride
Could go w/ something like a Panaracer Gravelking if your roads are a bit rough.
Amazon Amazon

Performance Bicycle is going out of business (parent company is filing Chapter 11) and they might have good deals also.
https://www.performancebike.com/shop
Old 01-03-2019, 07:11 AM
  #951  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 341
Received 257 Likes on 121 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by grouperdawg View Post


yes....amazon can have good prices on tire pairs sometimes. I'd get 25 s and you could always let a little air out too, give up some speed for better ride
Data shows a wider tire is faster than a skinny one.

I swapped to 28 tubeless this year and couldn’t be happier. I run them at 72-psi compared to 115-psi on my old 23’s. It feels as comfortable as a beach cruiser.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:23 AM
  #952  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Kent, VA
Posts: 2,476
Received 287 Likes on 156 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Beehaw View Post


Data shows a wider tire is faster than a skinny one.

I swapped to 28 tubeless this year and couldn’t be happier. I run them at 72-psi compared to 115-psi on my old 23’s. It feels as comfortable as a beach cruiser.
I saw some tubeless options but I have no experience, seems like a good choice?
Old 01-03-2019, 07:45 AM
  #953  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 341
Received 257 Likes on 121 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TripleCrownNC View Post
I saw some tubeless options but I have no experience, seems like a good choice?
your wheels have to be tubeless ready. I no longer carry a tube, I carry a small plug kit in an aluminum holder.

Not sure if it’s ok to post here, but I have some wheels to sell that are tubeless ready.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:25 AM
  #954  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 2,277
Likes: 0
Received 755 Likes on 414 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by grouperdawg View Post


Do you have traditional or disc brakes ? Regular brakes you should be fine with 25s; disc should be able to go as big as you want. Gator Skins are pretty popular; I have gone through two pairs of continental four seasons this year and liked them
This ^^^^^ Durability is the reason Gator skins are one of the best selling tires even at over $100.00 a pair. Most road bikes will take 25c tires, Gator skins also come 28 but don't go to big even if they do clear the frame you need enough clearance for flex in the wheel and minor wheel warp issues.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:48 AM
  #955  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location:
Posts: 778
Likes: 0
Received 252 Likes on 152 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Beehaw View Post


Data shows a wider tire is faster than a skinny one.

I swapped to 28 tubeless this year and couldn’t be happier. I run them at 72-psi compared to 115-psi on my old 23’s. It feels as comfortable as a beach cruiser.
I mostly agree to a point, Wider is better comparing 25s to 23s for almost all conditions and equal tire pressure. ​​​​​ Old wisdom was narrow tire and high pressure meant faster speed but science is proving them wrong. The race teams spend a ridiculous amount of time and energy on technology now. Rolling resistance and aero are the critical factors, so the surface, speed your riding, weight of rider etc complicate what is better. Bike frames are much stiffer too.

For most conditions 25s will be faster than 28s for now, down the road they may develop 28s that will roll faster than 25s. If this wasn't the case, all the Tour de France riders would be on 28s. They're not, 25s and 26s are the overwhelming favorite sizes for normal conditions. But, Switch the road to pretty rough or cobblestones and 28s are probably going to be faster and safer. What happens is even though the wider tire is less aero and has more surface area It recovers quicker on the bumps making it more efficient/faster. Less tire pressure can help too on really rough even though it also makes the same tire even less aero.

For someone like me, the speed penalty really doesn't matter between 25 and 28 I probably couldn't even tell but I can't put a 28 on my bike because I don't have disc brakes. You would for sure notice the ride being more comfortable though on 28. Which was my original point for triple crown, go to the 25s and if you want to get a smoother ride you can drop your tire pressure but you'll lose some speed unless it's really rough. Tire pressure will have a bigger impact on speed than size on a tire 25 vs 28



Old 01-03-2019, 09:04 AM
  #956  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location:
Posts: 778
Likes: 0
Received 252 Likes on 152 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TripleCrownNC View Post
I saw some tubeless options but I have no experience, seems like a good choice?
Tubeless is pretty popular on mountain bike, there is a liquid inside that seals so you have less flats than tube tires. It's not as popular on road bikes but gaining some momentum. I have two mountain bikes with tubeless and I'm the minority where it's been nothing but a pain for me. I was putting some air in it just last week on vacation about to ride with the boys and pushed the stem through the tape bc the nut had come off somehow and I didn't notice it. I couldn't find a shop to fix it or even tape to buy so I could fix it myself so I had to buy a tube and dump the liquid I just put in last month. I had a pinch flat while riding last month and I couldn't get it to reseat the tire after even with co2, they had to retape it.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:31 AM
  #957  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Kent, VA
Posts: 2,476
Received 287 Likes on 156 Posts
Default

Very good information, thanks. I just looked at the Fuji and there is not a lot of clearance between the tire and the front forks, a 25 might fit in there but no bigger.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:33 AM
  #958  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
Posts: 157
Received 822 Likes on 554 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by grouperdawg View Post


Tubeless is pretty popular on mountain bike, there is a liquid inside that seals so you have less flats than tube tires. It's not as popular on road bikes but gaining some momentum. I have two mountain bikes with tubeless and I'm the minority where it's been nothing but a pain for me. I was putting some air in it just last week on vacation about to ride with the boys and pushed the stem through the tape bc the nut had come off somehow and I didn't notice it. I couldn't find a shop to fix it or even tape to buy so I could fix it myself so I had to buy a tube and dump the liquid I just put in last month. I had a pinch flat while riding last month and I couldn't get it to reseat the tire after even with co2, they had to retape it.
Tubeless for MTB is very popular in western VA. Many of our trails are very rocky, rooty, and slick. Being able to run lower pressure w/o pinch flatting is huge.

I don't know if they make as much sense in non-technical terrain nor for the casual rider.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:59 AM
  #959  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 1,884
Likes: 0
Received 270 Likes on 166 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stimpson.j.cat View Post
Tubeless for MTB is very popular in western VA. Many of our trails are very rocky, rooty, and slick. Being able to run lower pressure w/o pinch flatting is huge.

I don't know if they make as much sense in non-technical terrain nor for the casual rider.

I am still in amazement that I am still alive after mountain biking in the mountains of VA during 4 years of college. Some of the shit we went down was scary.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:38 AM
  #960  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Kent, VA
Posts: 2,476
Received 287 Likes on 156 Posts
Default

I read up on the gator skins, they are very puncture resistant but also heavy with increased roll friction. I am still reading up. I am looking at the Vittoria's Rubino Pro G+ Road Tire at the moment. What does it mean when they refer to a tire as a clincher?

My Trek was bought in the Chicago area to ride those common trails that have this somewhat groomed pea gravel. My Fuji with its skinny tires didnt do well in areas where that stuff was wet or loose. The Trek has 32s on it. I just had a flat on that thing and started to look at the tires and we are getting close to needing replacement. Can I put a 25 or 28 on those rims? I have both bikes back in Virginia.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.