Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Bicycle, Bicycles, Bicycling, Bicyclists, Bikers

Notices
Like Tree329Likes

Bicycle, Bicycles, Bicycling, Bicyclists, Bikers

Old 04-26-2015, 04:16 PM
  #41  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,511
Default

Originally Posted by lobstercatcher View Post
So why would people driving slow ,pull over and let traffic pass? They are just nice responsible people who understand and the bike riders have the screw you mentality?
I think you are asking why the bikers don't pull over...

Road bikes only work on pavement. Dirt, sand or even gravel and you will fall.

Add in that a fall could crack the carbon fiber and it could be a 5 thousand dollar crash to save a car a few seconds.

I don't ride in groups like that and get as annoyed as anyone else.

Typically they find desolate roads outside the city and do it in the early hours though(at least around here).
MrWesson is offline  
Old 04-26-2015, 06:58 PM
  #42  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,416
Default

Originally Posted by MrWesson View Post
If you did that in a car you'd be going 20mph in a 45 which isn't against the law.

Just sayin.
I can't walk down the middle of that street and impede traffic. I can't drive any uninsured non registered motorized vehicle on that street that would impede traffic flow. The HCSO put up and electronic sign warning the riders and the OP of this post questioned my observation on this forum requesting details of such said situation in another thread.

Well, here is the photo. Dip shits out there doing it again and yes the law got involved in the photo I shared. No idea of the outcome other than ironically a uniformed deputy snagged every single one of them on his motorcycle right in front of me. Another delay that morning.

And, this tough talk about how some cyclist will catch you at the next traffic signal and kick your car or knock you out through your window. You best brush up on the laws in Florida. You put any part of your body inside of my vehicle your last worry will be running into an open car door.
20biminitwist is offline  
Old 04-26-2015, 07:50 PM
  #43  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,511
Default

Originally Posted by 20biminitwist View Post
I can't walk down the middle of that street and impede traffic. I can't drive any uninsured non registered motorized vehicle on that street that would impede traffic flow. The HCSO put up and electronic sign warning the riders and the OP of this post questioned my observation on this forum requesting details of such said situation in another thread.

Well, here is the photo. Dip shits out there doing it again and yes the law got involved in the photo I shared. No idea of the outcome other than ironically a uniformed deputy snagged every single one of them on his motorcycle right in front of me. Another delay that morning.

And, this tough talk about how some cyclist will catch you at the next traffic signal and kick your car or knock you out through your window. You best brush up on the laws in Florida. You put any part of your body inside of my vehicle your last worry will be running into an open car door.
You aren't a car.

A bike isn't motorized.

Don't get what you mean by snagged them. Its legal to ride two abreast in FL with no limit on amount of riders in a group. Its hard to tell in that picture but it looks to be the case. If they were ticketed it wouldn't stick.

Didn't insinuate I reached into anyone's car. More to the effect that if they got out as if to fight that I might not wait around to see what happens.

Also this is FL and everyone is armed it just makes you another person out there.
MrWesson is offline  
Old 04-27-2015, 11:01 AM
  #44  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nashville, 'Merica!
Posts: 1,500
Default

This entire thread is why I gave my road bike to my brother and only mountain bike now. Just too many things out of my control to deal with on a road bike with any traffic whatsoever. The stress was simply not worth the benefit. The only thing I have to worry about now on my mountain bike are trees, rocks, tree roots, and the occasional horse (the trails I use are shared by mountain bikes and horseback riders). If any of these things kill or maim me, it's on me.

As far as the "pack riders" go taking up an entire lane at a whopping 20 mph....I hate 'em too!
bikem likes this.
Marlin308 is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 12:54 PM
  #45  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,238
Default

Originally Posted by dmeswi View Post
A real bicycle doesn't have a seat. It has a saddle. Meant to ride not sit on.
Then why is the post that it attaches to called a seat post? I have always wondered that.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 12:57 PM
  #46  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,238
Default

Originally Posted by 20biminitwist View Post
Maybe why the hatred.

Every weekend this traffic jam for miles with no passing zones.

In an area with 100 million dollars in bike paths.





I simply wouldn't be involved in a non-sanctioned group ride of that size. Can you tell me where that photo is taken and give me a cross street address where the nearby bike paths are? I'd like to see it on Google satellite.
bikem likes this.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 01:00 PM
  #47  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,238
Default

Originally Posted by MrWesson View Post
Riding on sidewalks is suicide.

Drivers are focused on the street when pulling out of shopping centers and not checking for 20mph bike rider(can't blame them). I hate sidewalks.

I ride in a manner where I avoid situations where I'd piss off drivers(avoid certain roads. I'm not an arrogant biker who thinks he owns the road and act as if I'm borrowing it.. I understand the rule of tonnage.

I would regularly transport my bike to places that were safer.

I ride in bike lanes and do my best to stay out of the way but if you swipe me you will hear about it at the next light and if you get feisty i'll knock you out on the side of the road and ride off into the sunset.

Almost hit me and have the nerve to honk.. look forward to a foot sized dent in your car. Catching a bike in traffic is impossible.

This post got my blood boiling. I hate the city.
You sound a lot like me. I am very cooperative and polite until you endanger me.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 01:03 PM
  #48  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Destin FL
Posts: 2,441
Default

Originally Posted by lobstercatcher View Post
Shouldn't the cars be in the bike path so the biker has to slow down and maneuver around them? I mean.. they do that to cars
Good point!

They annoy the crap outta me. No offense to anyone but if this is your "thing" please stay off the roads for my family's safety and yours.
gamefish25 is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 01:08 PM
  #49  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,238
Default

Originally Posted by kinnakeettom View Post
Awaiting a logical reply to the post below you......When you have to buy insurance, buy tags, and pay county taxes, on those high dollar bikes, then I will look at you on an equal basis.
Federal highways are paid for in part through general funds that all tax payers contribute to. Fuel taxes don't cover the costs. Same with state highways and state taxes. Local roads are funded largely through ad valorem taxes which we all pay. So the issue of taxes is really a non-issue. I saw a family riding bike through my neighborhood yesterday. Should the 8 year old kid get a break on their tag fees? Should pedestrians have to buy insurance too? Around here the drunk bastards jump out in front of people all the time.

But let's get serious. You'll never look at bicyclists as equals.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 01:11 PM
  #50  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,238
Default

Originally Posted by lobstercatcher View Post
If you did that in a car you would be obstructing traffic.
So when I hit that traffic jam of cars on my way back today, those folks are obstructing traffic?
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 01:14 PM
  #51  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,238
Default

Originally Posted by lobstercatcher View Post
So why would people driving slow ,pull over and let traffic pass? They are just nice responsible people who understand and the bike riders have the screw you mentality?
What makes you think those riders don't do what they can to facilitate motor vehicles passing them?
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 01:23 PM
  #52  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,238
Default

Originally Posted by Marlin308 View Post
This entire thread is why I gave my road bike to my brother and only mountain bike now. Just too many things out of my control to deal with on a road bike with any traffic whatsoever. The stress was simply not worth the benefit. The only thing I have to worry about now on my mountain bike are trees, rocks, tree roots, and the occasional horse (the trails I use are shared by mountain bikes and horseback riders). If any of these things kill or maim me, it's on me.

As far as the "pack riders" go taking up an entire lane at a whopping 20 mph....I hate 'em too!
FWIW recreational boating fatalities and bicycling fatalities are very close in numbers every year. May I have your boat?

I don't like pack riding on busy roads unless the pack has a cooperative mentality. That said, pack riding is safer. I didn't see him doesn't really work as an excuse, and most people won't get out and pick a fight.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 02:47 PM
  #53  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Puerto Pensaco Mexico, just south of Rock Point
Posts: 11,531
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
What makes you think those riders don't do what they can to facilitate motor vehicles passing them?
The cars that caused the traffic jam was towing a kayak. So there was a offender and then there were the offendese
lobstercatcher is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 03:23 PM
  #54  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,416
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
I simply wouldn't be involved in a non-sanctioned group ride of that size. Can you tell me where that photo is taken and give me a cross street address where the nearby bike paths are? I'd like to see it on Google satellite.

Gezz, you asked before "challenged me with some bike math" and got it. Look it up and try to defend the aholes. I went back and took the pic on a Saturday. They were there as predictable as corn fed hogs.
Race Track road west of Gunn Highway 33556

Like I stated before, 100 million in bike paths around here and these idiots are certainly not helping those that enjoy the sport.

Nearby bike paths you can find yourself. Not my deal other than the one they are building on Lutz lake fern road to connect to the suncoast trail, keystone road and so on "33556". I should have put that in the cottonmouth thread as they are tearing up wetlands full of critters for this project.

For 100 million bucks they should have dug a ditch from my place to the gulf so I wouldn't endanger the panty hose crowd pulling my boat to the water on a road built for motor vehicles. Yea, no shit, that's what they were built for originally. Not bikes, horses or non motorized means of transportation.

This is not directed at you or cyclist per say from me. This is directed at the me me me mentality of many groups. You want to ride a bike and it's your hobby. Have at it. Do it with some consideration and courtesy.

I wish they would spend 100 million bucks on improving and adding boat ramps around here. Better access for us boaters would keep us on the water and not trying to treat you bike riders like love bugs on the road.
20biminitwist is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 04:12 PM
  #55  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,238
Default

Originally Posted by 20biminitwist View Post
Gezz, you asked before "challenged me with some bike math" and got it. Look it up and try to defend the aholes. I went back and took the pic on a Saturday. They were there as predictable as corn fed hogs.
Race Track road west of Gunn Highway 33556

Like I stated before, 100 million in bike paths around here and these idiots are certainly not helping those that enjoy the sport.

Nearby bike paths you can find yourself. Not my deal other than the one they are building on Lutz lake fern road to connect to the suncoast trail, keystone road and so on "33556". I should have put that in the cottonmouth thread as they are tearing up wetlands full of critters for this project.

For 100 million bucks they should have dug a ditch from my place to the gulf so I wouldn't endanger the panty hose crowd pulling my boat to the water on a road built for motor vehicles. Yea, no shit, that's what they were built for originally. Not bikes, horses or non motorized means of transportation.

This is not directed at you or cyclist per say from me. This is directed at the me me me mentality of many groups. You want to ride a bike and it's your hobby. Have at it. Do it with some consideration and courtesy.

I wish they would spend 100 million bucks on improving and adding boat ramps around here. Better access for us boaters would keep us on the water and not trying to treat you bike riders like love bugs on the road.
I like to be able to visualize the problem and I like to get some perspective on it. That's why I asked so many questions. It looked like two lane portion of Race Track road is no more than 3 miles long. At 20 MPH it would take those bicycle riders 9 minutes to cover that distance. It would take you about 4 if you go the speed limit. So to put this in the proper perspective, their recreation slowed your recreation by 5 minutes at the most. These figures are the best I can do with the information you have.

While I strongly disapprove of their actions, in the grand scheme of things it's just 5 minutes. I hope local LE sets them straight. Then you'll have 20 individual bikes strung out end to end at a 3 second interval on a road that is no passing for the entire distance in question and with a lane width that's to narrow to legally pass within the lane. How much better will that be?
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 04:12 PM
  #56  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Puerto Pensaco Mexico, just south of Rock Point
Posts: 11,531
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
What makes you think those riders don't do what they can to facilitate motor vehicles passing them?
Because the picture was taken from a car and the riders are not pulled off to a passing formation.
lobstercatcher is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 05:50 PM
  #57  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 675
Default

.
Attached Images  
floridian is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 05:54 PM
  #58  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,238
Default

Originally Posted by floridian View Post
.
If he was stuck for 15 minutes, he's a bigger idiot than the bicyclist who appears to be a monumental idiot.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 05:59 PM
  #59  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Puerto Pensaco Mexico, just south of Rock Point
Posts: 11,531
Default

Originally Posted by floridian View Post
.
I had that guy in front of me yesterday.
lobstercatcher is offline  
Old 04-28-2015, 06:01 PM
  #60  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,416
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
I like to be able to visualize the problem and I like to get some perspective on it. That's why I asked so many questions. It looked like two lane portion of Race Track road is no more than 3 miles long. At 20 MPH it would take those bicycle riders 9 minutes to cover that distance. It would take you about 4 if you go the speed limit. So to put this in the proper perspective, their recreation slowed your recreation by 5 minutes at the most. These figures are the best I can do with the information you have.

While I strongly disapprove of their actions, in the grand scheme of things it's just 5 minutes. I hope local LE sets them straight. Then you'll have 20 individual bikes strung out end to end at a 3 second interval on a road that is no passing for the entire distance in question and with a lane width that's to narrow to legally pass within the lane. How much better will that be?
The fact is that they have other places to ride safely. And, no the road they are on leads to even more non conducive areas to ride. Did you research bike paths in this area? Did you consider they have not one but many vehicles behind them waiting. Not just me, but many.

Again the roads of today with exception to the 100 million dollars spent on bike projects were not designed to handle bike riders. Matter of fact they were not designed for the car traffic in a state that has grown from 7 million to nearly 18 million since I graduated high school in this very same area.

You wanna peddle your ass off. Go about 3 miles from the location of the picture. Have a place to park your car and ride for 3 counties without getting on a road not designed for your entertainment.

I suppose as another commented on the other thread, too far to haul my bike on my car and it's an its inconvenient for me is the reason. Well guess what, I make my living on the water. Can't afford to live on it. So I commute. Deal with the traffic and if they would dig that 100 million dollar ditch so I could boat to work I would never ever be in conflict with a cyclist.

My luck the guys with bikes would sell them and buy Jet Skis.

Next thing you know the guys with mountain trail bikes will want hills built in the Everglades National Park and a rocky trail on US 41 to get them there from Miami or Naples.
20biminitwist is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread