Notices

Cooler Recommendation

Old 03-05-2015, 01:07 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sneaky Snooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,998
Default Cooler Recommendation

Still needing a cooler for the new boat. I want one that has rubber feet so it will stay in place pretty well. I'm an inshore guy so won't get banged around too bad. I will put it under my leaning post and don't want to screw brackets to floor or use any bungee cords. The only coolers that seem to have the feet are the roto molded coolers. I just do one day outings so don't need ice to last for a week.. I just don't want to spend $300 plus dollars on a cooler. Any recommendations on 45-65 qt roto molded coolers that are reasonable ? All the igloo marines etc. don't have the rubber feet.
Sneaky Snooker is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 01:16 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 338
Default

I purchased an Igloo Sportsman from Sam's Club it seems to working great. It has rubber feet, 55 qrt and well insulated. It was $199 there.

http://www.igloocoolers.com/Sportsman-55
T Hard11 is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 01:17 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Schmaltz~Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cruising Lake Titikacka On My 18' Bayliner Element With 60 HP Optimax's
Posts: 17,345
Default

Schneakee, just drive over to ENGEL in Jupiter, they have scratch & dents, etc and you will get a good deal factory direct.


Name:  1376581871_zps241d8da3.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  33.1 KB
Schmaltz~Herring is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 01:17 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Houma, LA
Posts: 774
Default

Countersink screws through rubber pieces on the bottom and run a bead of silicone around it?
antib551 is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 01:17 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,936
Default

I've commented on here several times that I've never seen the need for a premium cooler such as Yeti, Frigid Rigid, etc but I'm getting ready to drop some coin on a Yeti 65.

The reason is not so much the "ice for days" claims (which Coleman and Igloo both makes coolers that keep ice longer) but the design of it. I can even get discounts on Igloo and Yukon but don't like the design of them.

I want a cooler to double as a casting platform and I want it to be relatively long but not too high. 13" height would be ideal but I'll go up to 16" high. I also don't want a bunch of things for line to get hung on or bulky exterior handles that take up cargo room (Yukon). So far, the Yeti 65 or 75 seems to fit the bill the best. You can reverse the handles so they don't stick out to catch fly line.

The Frigid Rigid is the only one I think is worth $400+ but the problem is it cost $650 for the one I would like to have. I'm just not ready to do that.

I sure wish I could find a better alternative for me but so far I haven't.
On the Half Shell is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 01:25 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sneaky Snooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,998
Default

Originally Posted by Schmaltz~Herring View Post
Schneakee, just drive over to ENGEL in Jupiter, they have scratch & dents, etc and you will get a good deal factory direct.


I did that today based on your recommendation. Only had 25's on special. He took my name and number. Spoke with Sam. Thanks Schmaltzy
Sneaky Snooker is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 01:27 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sneaky Snooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,998
Default

Originally Posted by T Hard11 View Post
I purchased an Igloo Sportsman from Sam's Club it seems to working great. It has rubber feet, 55 qrt and well insulated. It was $199 there.

http://www.igloocoolers.com/Sportsman-55
I could live with that. Thnx
Sneaky Snooker is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 01:30 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sneaky Snooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,998
Default

Originally Posted by antib551 View Post
Countersink screws through rubber pieces on the bottom and run a bead of silicone around it?
That's what my girl wants me to do.
Originally Posted by On the Half Shell View Post
I've commented on here several times that I've never seen the need for a premium cooler such as Yeti, Frigid Rigid, etc but I'm getting ready to drop some coin on a Yeti 65.

The reason is not so much the "ice for days" claims (which Coleman and Igloo both makes coolers that keep ice longer) but the design of it. I can even get discounts on Igloo and Yukon but don't like the design of them.

I want a cooler to double as a casting platform and I want it to be relatively long but not too high. 13" height would be ideal but I'll go up to 16" high. I also don't want a bunch of things for line to get hung on or bulky exterior handles that take up cargo room (Yukon). So far, the Yeti 65 or 75 seems to fit the bill the best. You can reverse the handles so they don't stick out to catch fly line.

The Frigid Rigid is the only one I think is worth $400+ but the problem is it cost $650 for the one I would like to have. I'm just not ready to do that.

I sure wish I could find a better alternative for me but so far I haven't.
I don't need mine as a casting platform. For some reason I just hate spending $300 + for a cooler.
Sneaky Snooker is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 01:40 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Schmaltz~Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cruising Lake Titikacka On My 18' Bayliner Element With 60 HP Optimax's
Posts: 17,345
Default

Originally Posted by Sneaky Snooker View Post
That's what my girl wants me to do.


I don't need mine as a casting platform. For some reason I just hate spending $300 + for a cooler.

Just tell Sam to keep you on a wait list, won't be long, not summer yet anyway, be patient, I have a 25. he threw in the separator and hanging basket.
Schmaltz~Herring is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 02:21 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sneaky Snooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,998
Default

Originally Posted by Schmaltz~Herring View Post
Just tell Sam to keep you on a wait list, won't be long, not summer yet anyway, be patient, I have a 25. he threw in the separator and hanging basket.
Hopefully I will hear from him soon . Will be using the boat heavily soon. I may pick up that Igloo Sportsman 55 . It sounds like it will fill my needs. $200. 00 isn't too bad. I will go by Sam's and check it out
Sneaky Snooker is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 02:23 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Achilles, VA
Posts: 5,162
Default

put one of these under it
Attached Images  
Mako 234 is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 02:24 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,936
Default

Well, I just ordered an Engel 65 online for $270 shipped and no tax. Even though I could have gotten the Yeti at a discount it was still $100 more than the Engel.
On the Half Shell is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 03:05 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sneaky Snooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,998
Default

Originally Posted by Mako 234 View Post
put one of these under it
Not a bad idea at all.
Sneaky Snooker is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 03:29 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: southeast, PA
Posts: 1,369
Default

I understand it is tough to buy a rotomold cooler but look at it this way would you have paid an extra $350 for an icebox on your new boat. A rotomold cooler will last as long as you keep your boat. Think of it as an extra on the boat.
chad13 is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 03:40 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sneaky Snooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,998
Default

Originally Posted by chad13 View Post
I understand it is tough to buy a rotomold cooler but look at it this way would you have paid an extra $350 for an icebox on your new boat. A rotomold cooler will last as long as you keep your boat. Think of it as an extra on the boat.
I know you are right. What a boat and rigging it costs is substantial. I tried to get what I thought was the best on the boat. For some reason all this money for a cooler bothers me. I will end up with a rotomold cooler.
Sneaky Snooker is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 05:10 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Satellite Beach Fl
Posts: 921
Default

Drop the coin on the Yeti or similar.

Otherwise you'll end up with two coolers....

Sounds like you want the high end cooler but can't bring yourself to drop the coin. I get it. But I've found that every time I'm in this situation I regret cheaping out and end up with the item I initially wanted anyways only it ends up costing more than if I'd just bought it the first time.
hotfoot5 is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 05:22 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Hagar TH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Central Fl
Posts: 4,421
Default

Why don't you take an old inner tube and cut some patches and glue them to the bottom of a Coleman Xtreme cooler.
Hagar TH is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 05:28 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sneaky Snooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,998
Default

Originally Posted by hotfoot5 View Post
Drop the coin on the Yeti or similar.

Otherwise you'll end up with two coolers....

Sounds like you want the high end cooler but can't bring yourself to drop the coin. I get it. But I've found that every time I'm in this situation I regret cheaping out and end up with the item I initially wanted anyways only it ends up costing more than if I'd just bought it the first time.
You are right
Originally Posted by Hagar TH View Post
Why don't you take an old inner tube and cut some patches and glue them to the bottom of a Coleman Xtreme cooler.
Too Ham n Egger for me
Sneaky Snooker is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 05:30 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: sebastian, floriduh
Posts: 2,118
Default

check out orca coolers. swat1 on here is a dealer for em. pretty killer coolers.
toolate390 is offline  
Old 03-06-2015, 04:57 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Sneaky Snooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,998
Default

Originally Posted by toolate390 View Post
check out orca coolers. swat1 on here is a dealer for em. pretty killer coolers.
I will, thanks. Went to Sams club today to look for an Igloo Sportsman, they didn't have any but had the Pelican 45 for $209.00 .It is too tall to open under my leaning post. Seems like a good price on a good cooler though.
Sneaky Snooker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread