Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Will the trend towards a police state ever reverse ?

Notices

Will the trend towards a police state ever reverse ?

Old 02-23-2015, 05:08 PM
  #201  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,406
Default

Originally Posted by Iliveonboat View Post
Those numbers in your post above include children and old people.
Whut?
chrispnet is offline  
Old 02-23-2015, 05:10 PM
  #202  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 🌴 ⛵... 🚣....
Posts: 1,258
Default

Originally Posted by I Fish 2 View Post
the best job he was ever able to get was as a car wash attendant, all due to his "criminal" past.
That's why so many people get into the drug business.
Iliveonboat is offline  
Old 02-23-2015, 05:10 PM
  #203  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 🌴 ⛵... 🚣....
Posts: 1,258
Default

Originally Posted by chrispnet View Post
Whut?
The numbers you posted don't reflect the police state impact on young adults.
Iliveonboat is offline  
Old 02-23-2015, 05:13 PM
  #204  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 🌴 ⛵... 🚣....
Posts: 1,258
Default

New Page, needs a picture.

Iliveonboat is offline  
Old 02-23-2015, 05:21 PM
  #205  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,406
Default

Originally Posted by Iliveonboat View Post
Your numbers don't reflect the police state impact on young adults.
They aren't my numbers....see... 1 of 31 in prison is the same as 30 of 31 not in prison.

Refer to post #161 for the source of the numbers...its a post that copied your pretty picture that didn't distinguish demographics.
If your point is that young people are disproportionately represented in prison...duh.
Since time began. They say it has something to do with stupidity and testosterone.
chrispnet is offline  
Old 02-23-2015, 05:29 PM
  #206  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 11,125
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
I disagree, the cameras in many jurisdictions ARE just revenue generators for the most part. They might curb some actions of bad drivers but those cameras are just as much about revenue as safety in my opinion... They go against anything a cop is trained to do. You don't enforce a law if you did not see who did it. Mailing a ticket to the owner of the car is wrong, it needs to go to the driver..
I agree completely. And I seldom agree with people on here.
jobowker is offline  
Old 02-23-2015, 06:20 PM
  #207  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 🌴 ⛵... 🚣....
Posts: 1,258
Default

Originally Posted by chrispnet View Post
If your point is that young people are disproportionately represented in prison...duh.
Since time began. They say it has something to do with stupidity and testosterone.

So the testosterone level in males has increased 800% in the last few decades ? This does not include steroid use by police of course

Iliveonboat is offline  
Old 02-23-2015, 06:30 PM
  #208  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 8,460
Default

Originally Posted by I Fish 2 View Post
Right. My point is, for 1 in 31 Americans (1 in 13 in Georgia) it is. All the while, the innocent are subject to near constant surveillance, even invasion of privacy due to phone/email monitoring. This has increased exponentially in the last 10 to 15 years. Does it really have to go that much further? It's doubtful we'll ever see it returned to say 1980, even 1990 levels. How much more infringement will be deemed "necessary"?

A criminal past will haunt someone for life, even after they have paid their debt to society. Imagine being 18 years old and getting 5 years in prison for having sex with your girlfriend who is 16 years old. Now, you are also labeled a sex offender, and all of the stipulations and stigma that go with that label. This happened to a high school buddy of mine. He got out in 3 years, but, as part of his agreement, he spent 3 years on parole, and had to register as a sex offender where ever he lived. If he moved, he basically had to ask permission to live where he wanted. He was denied twice. Once because it was too close to a daycare center, and once because it was too close to a school. He died in a car wreck at about age 35, but, the best job he was ever able to get was as a car wash attendant, all due to his "criminal" past. It was even hard to be friends with him, because if you'd mention his name, people would usually say something like "Oh, isn't he a child molester?"
Your friend's situation goes back to my earlier points that some laws are overreaching and innocents sometimes go to jail. However, anecdotes don't make a police state.
OReely is offline  
Old 02-23-2015, 08:19 PM
  #209  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,042
Default

Originally Posted by OReely View Post
However, anecdotes don't make a police state.
That's true, however, the 1 in 31 number doesn't account for those who have done their time, or, the affects it has on their future after that time is paid.

Given the direction the current trend is going, how long before it is a police state? I mean, I feel like we're all on a boat, and, contrary to what the ship's Captain and officers say, some few are saying the boat is filling with water. Meanwhile, the majority mock the "Ship's Sinking Conspiracy Theorists", even while the ship is setting lower and lower. Eventually, everyone realizes that ship is going to sink, but by then, it's too late.

Last edited by I Fish 2; 02-23-2015 at 09:46 PM.
I Fish 2 is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 04:11 AM
  #210  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,406
Default

Originally Posted by Iliveonboat View Post
So the testosterone level in males has increased 800% in the last few decades ? This does not include steroid use by police of course

Nope...the stupidity.
chrispnet is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 04:50 AM
  #211  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 11,755
Default

Originally Posted by chrispnet View Post
Nope...the stupidity.
I'd love to see a study done showing the correlation between arrest rates and the dawn of social media/YouTube.
coores14 is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 07:18 AM
  #212  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: "Southeast of disorder...."
Posts: 3,004
Default

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the men come and take you away
We better stopHey, what's that sound?
Everybody look - what's going down?


"For What Its Worth", Buffalo Springfield
beatcop49 is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 07:24 AM
  #213  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,042
Default



"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you"

Joseph Heller 1923-1999
I Fish 2 is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 07:26 AM
  #214  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: On the beach
Posts: 2,927
Default

Originally Posted by beatcop49 View Post
Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the men come and take you away
We better stopHey, what's that sound?
Everybody look - what's going down?


"For What Its Worth", Buffalo Springfield
Roger that! The 60's never left!
Still Stoked is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 07:32 AM
  #215  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wildcat Knoll
Posts: 8,697
Default

Originally Posted by SEATOAD View Post
My opinion? Its only going to get worse because half the population is getting dumber.
That and unwilling to accept /respect American Culture.Take Christmas and the Pledge of Allegiance for examples. Between apathy and us becoming a Nanny State,we're not on a good course...........
hanson is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 07:45 AM
  #216  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 11,755
Default

Originally Posted by beatcop49 View Post
Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the men come and take you away
We better stopHey, what's that sound?
Everybody look - what's going down?


"For What Its Worth", Buffalo Springfield
Released in '67 and was written as a result of stricter curfew laws passed in San Fran and many thought it was infringing upon their civil rights.

Sound familiar? Nearly fifty years ago and they had the same thoughts and concerns. Boy, times sure have changed, eh?
coores14 is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 07:54 AM
  #217  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,024
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
I kid you not someone called me two days ago because a neighbor was barb qing on their patio and it was supposedly against the Apartment complex rules and she really expected me to do somesomething..lol
Holy smokes your agency responds to stuff like that? Our dispatchers would laugh, and if somehow it made it to the radio it would be cancelled.
Selser is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 02:27 PM
  #218  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: 🌴 ⛵... 🚣....
Posts: 1,258
Default

Now they have started banning sledding too !!!


"The article quotes Kenneth Bond, a New York lawyer who works with municipal governments, as saying the "Wild West philosophy" of individual responsibility is a thing of the past, and governments are now expected to take measures to prevent dangerous activities where possible."




Governments are now expected to "take measures"

We know what that means !!!! $$

Iliveonboat is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 03:08 PM
  #219  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,815
Default

Originally Posted by Selser View Post
Holy smokes your agency responds to stuff like that? Our dispatchers would laugh, and if somehow it made it to the radio it would be cancelled.
They have to dispatch them....It got handled alright
Cracker is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 03:32 PM
  #220  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Near Wheeling W.V.
Posts: 929
Default

Originally Posted by Iliveonboat View Post
Now they have started banning sledding too !!!
"The article quotes Kenneth Bond, a New York lawyer who works with municipal governments, as saying the "Wild West philosophy" of individual responsibility is a thing of the past, and governments are now expected to take measures to prevent dangerous activities where possible."

Governments are now expected to "take measures"

We know what that means !!!! $$
I really feel you have your heart in the right place and have the peoples best interest in mind,but society as we knew it has also changed mostly for the worst. Do you realize that a huge amount of damages are paid out by states and municipalities for settlements incurred by individuals pursuing their own thing, such as sled-ridding among others.

Lawyers are always on a lovefest representing such folks simply because they know taxpayers have potentially endlessly deep pocketbooks that could put them on easy street for life because they left one tree on the sled-course and someone managed to strike it with their sled.
Bamby is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread