Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Veterans organizations. Donating?

Notices

Veterans organizations. Donating?

Old 02-18-2015, 11:31 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Venice, Florida
Posts: 16,867
Default Veterans organizations. Donating?

This coming June I start my annual 4th of July sale. Its my busiest time of year and I sell probably half of my years inventory of flagpoles and American flags.
I was thinking of donating a portion of the sales this year to one of the organizations that support veterans. I am more inclined to support organizations for wounded soldiers having had some wheelchair experience myself.
Looking for any first hand experience with these organizations, recommendations, etc.
It seems that far too often down the road you hear stories of the funds being used for things that I would not support so I want to make an educated decision.

Thanks,
Chris
Mr. Demeanor is offline  
Old 02-18-2015, 11:38 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club
 
Ronn Burgandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 15,101
Default

Wounded Warriors Project.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...2#.VOTqCynaHIo

They have some presence in Florida, not sure how close to you though.

That reminds me, could you PM me what you have for heavy duty flags for your rod holder flag poles? I need a replacement.
Ronn Burgandy is offline  
Old 02-18-2015, 11:44 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location:
Posts: 765
Default

I would recommend two that I work with:

Wounded Wear ( Jason Redman )

Operation One Voice

Operation One Voice is an all volunteer organization where you know 98% of every dollar you donate goes directly to a critically wounded soldier or their family
grouperdawg is offline  
Old 02-18-2015, 01:13 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Gretna, LA, USA
Posts: 6,195
Default

Check before you make someone rich. If what I have seen is accurate, Wounded Warriors is a scam. A miniscule percent of the donations ended up reaching those in need.
trout25red is offline  
Old 02-18-2015, 01:26 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
triumphrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Masaryktown, Fla.
Posts: 16,980
Default

For FY ending 2013, Wounded Warriors collected $235 million. $158 million was spent on program expenses, administration expenses and fundraising. If I do the math, that's about 67% that does not go to the "wounded warrior".

Not an organization I would contribute to...but that's just me.

Last edited by triumphrick; 02-18-2015 at 02:02 PM.
triumphrick is offline  
Old 02-18-2015, 01:31 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: brunswick county NC
Posts: 270
Default

For whats its worth, before contributing a dime, go here and check them out....http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...n#.VOUEg_nF-So.
cappy tan is offline  
Old 02-18-2015, 01:38 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Weddington, NC
Posts: 2,512
Default

military appreciation day.org

All volunteer organization, 501 c 3 and all of the money donated is spent directly on the events that support our military.

No paid staff at all.

As founder and currently COO I will gladly share our books with anyone that donates to prove that we spend every penny on our events except for some things like insurance, PO Box rental, printing and mailing.

Since we are a small charitable org filing only an IRS epost card, we will not show up on charity navigator site though

EIN 20-8191619 if you want to check up on us with the IRS
Squid Row is offline  
Old 02-18-2015, 01:43 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Venice, Florida
Posts: 16,867
Default

I kind of like the idea of supporting a small organization if its on the up and up.
Thanks for your input.
Mr. Demeanor is offline  
Old 02-18-2015, 01:47 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Venice, Florida
Posts: 16,867
Default

Originally Posted by Ronn Burgandy View Post
Wounded Warriors Project.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...2#.VOTqCynaHIo

They have some presence in Florida, not sure how close to you though.

That reminds me, could you PM me what you have for heavy duty flags for your rod holder flag poles? I need a replacement.
Ronn,
Any of the Valley Forge flags are great. I do not sell the same VF flags as carried in the big box stores. Those are a lesser quality made specifically to them (Home Depot, Walmart etc.).
These are American made from American materials. Heavy duty stitched and embroidered nylon. I have had ZERO returns/complaints on them.
http://shop.coolwaterproducts.com/Boat-Flags_c105.htm

My polyester flags are inexpensive, disposable, and made overseas.
Mr. Demeanor is offline  
Old 02-18-2015, 01:50 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Hagar TH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Central Fl
Posts: 4,421
Default

You have flagpoles? I'm in the market for a 25-30 ft telescoping pole.
Hagar TH is offline  
Old 02-18-2015, 01:51 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
bogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Newport, NC
Posts: 4,719
Default

Originally Posted by Squid Row View Post
military appreciation day.org

All volunteer organization, 501 c 3 and all of the money donated is spent directly on the events that support our military.

No paid staff at all.

As founder and currently COO I will gladly share our books with anyone that donates to prove that we spend every penny on our events except for some things like insurance, PO Box rental, printing and mailing.

Since we are a small charitable org filing only an IRS epost card, we will not show up on charity navigator site though

EIN 20-8191619 if you want to check up on us with the IRS
ding ding ding here's your winner ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Love these guys! Great presence in MHC
bogue is offline  
Old 02-18-2015, 01:56 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: westchester ny
Posts: 2,707
Default

Homes For our Troops
DAV
Intrepid Fallen Heros Fund
Fisher House
phillipgo is online now  
Old 02-18-2015, 03:04 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberPLEDGERPLEDGERCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ATL & SAV
Posts: 12,246
Default

Originally Posted by triumphrick View Post
For FY ending 2013, Wounded Warriors collected $235 million. $158 million was spent on program expenses, administration expenses and fundraising. If I do the math, that's about 67% that does not go to the "wounded warrior".

Not an organization I would contribute to...but that's just me.
I have the same issue with WW. I have contributed in the past but the inefficiency of the Foundation has me looking for an alternative. What I know about the Fisher House is pretty damn positive.
Tireless is offline  
Old 02-18-2015, 03:09 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 1,476
Default

Fisher House or DAV.
NCummins is offline  
Old 02-18-2015, 03:30 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Weddington, NC
Posts: 2,512
Default

Originally Posted by bogue View Post
ding ding ding here's your winner ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Love these guys! Great presence in MHC
Morehead City is by far our largest event, but we also host an event in the fall in Southport, NC.

Oh yeah... Lewes, Delaware too

And I almost forgot Tidewater, VA

And of course our newest in Charleston, SC

We are all volunteers and going nationally to spread our message of:
One. Simple. Thanks!
Squid Row is offline  
Old 02-18-2015, 03:43 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,346
Default

The DAV is the only agency ever to contact me. I have a service connected disability and they yearly offer to assist me with any help I might need including professional claims filing assistance. I mention this only because there is a stark difference in the finances of the DAV as opposed to most. They spend about 1% on fundraising and 2% on administrative as opposed for example the WW which spends 36% and 6% respectively. WW Project is much bigger though and I assume offers a wide variety of services and of course it must help more people. There is a big need and fundraising indeed does help many of these groups to do more.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...9#.VOUf38J0ytU
vs.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...2#.VOUi-cJ0ytU
LI Sound Grunt is offline  
Old 02-18-2015, 05:45 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Deep Blue Yacht Supply's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 260
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor View Post
This coming June I start my annual 4th of July sale. Its my busiest time of year and I sell probably half of my years inventory of flagpoles and American flags.
I was thinking of donating a portion of the sales this year to one of the organizations that support veterans. I am more inclined to support organizations for wounded soldiers having had some wheelchair experience myself.
Looking for any first hand experience with these organizations, recommendations, etc.
It seems that far too often down the road you hear stories of the funds being used for things that I would not support so I want to make an educated decision.

Thanks,
Chris
Here is a great organization that built a boat from donations and personal expense, http://www.bluewaterwarriors.org/

They had the boat at the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show and got a lot of praise. The boat they built is absolutely amazing, http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/o...miumvideo.html
Deep Blue Yacht Supply is offline  
Old 02-18-2015, 10:47 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 3,739
Default

Originally Posted by phillipgo View Post
Homes For our Troops
DAV
Intrepid Fallen Heros Fund
Fisher House
Ding ding chicken dinner--this list is the real winner
round2it is online now  
Old 02-19-2015, 04:13 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: De
Posts: 2,496
Default

Put the word out and try to find a family (s) close to you that you can help?
Just a thought.

Thank you for doing what you are doing, Have purchased a few flag poles from you and will probably purchase another one or two this year to help support your cause!
Striper In is offline  
Old 02-19-2015, 07:02 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Too far from salt.
Posts: 10,018
Default

Wow, I hate to hear that about WW, I always thought it was a pretty good organization. Thanks for sharing, I'll look elsewhere when I donate. I can't abide an organization that spends the majority of money received on "administrative" costs.
DFreedom is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread