The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   Brian Williams... really THT? So you really thought? (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/650063-brian-williams-really-tht-so-you-really-thought.html)

kone 02-09-2015 04:45 AM

Agree but nobody I despise more than someone who lies about, feigns, pretends, imbellishes, etc, etc, their participation, or lack thereof, with regards to our military.

"To the victor go the spoils"...so to speak.

yarcraft91 02-09-2015 05:31 AM

I really miss Walter Cronkite. Maybe I was being fooled, but I actually trusted what that man said on the CBS Evening News.

The news today is some mixture of people reading a script put in front of them (don't blame the news-people for reading lies someone else wrote- most news-people don't know crap) and actual telling of personal stories . In the case of the latter, lying is unacceptable in a newsperson. If Williams lied about his personal story, he deserves to have his reputation trashed.

ol guide 02-09-2015 05:46 AM


Originally Posted by yarcraft91 (Post 7545797)
I really miss Walter Cronkite. Maybe I was being fooled, but I actually trusted what that man said on the CBS Evening News.

The news today is some mixture of people reading a script put in front of them (don't blame the news-people for reading lies someone else wrote- most news-people don't know crap) and actual telling of personal stories . In the case of the latter, lying is unacceptable in a newsperson. If Williams lied about his personal story, he deserves to have his reputation trashed.

Cronkite was a left wing apologist and no angel when it came to using his considerable influence to sway things in a big, often negative, way: http://www.aim.org/aim-column/the-te...lter-cronkite/

YFMF 02-09-2015 04:07 PM

Isn't the network supposed to fact check reports?

slickster 02-09-2015 05:13 PM

It just shows us that most of the talking heads on the "news" shows are just handsome/pretty faces that can have a charismatic and authoritative presentation....(sometimes the news face-talkers begin to believe themselves)....just what the producers want....it's hollywood....nothing more...

back at it 02-09-2015 05:52 PM


Originally Posted by OldPete (Post 7544598)
I don't understand why there is all this hoop-dee over Brian Williams and the news stories being BS, etc.

You mean to tell me that when you watch the "News" you really believe that the story is being told as it happened a majority of the time? Really?

Get real -- it's all BS. Doesn't matter if it's Brian Williams, Barbara Walters, or whoever. If you don't think it's BS just look around you. Look at the politicians. "for the people by the people"... yeah... because y'all are really going to black tie dinner for $5k a plate in a limo all the time. Yeah -- you're the people. LOL.

Sorry... but the Brian Williams thing is just silly. :roll

Agreed but still be interesting to see who hires his lying ass next. :bashhh:

Flatout71 02-09-2015 05:59 PM

If you are ever close enough to a real news story yourself....and you know the truth. You will rarely hear the truth reported on any news station. They may dance around it.....but they almost never get the facts right. That is a lock.

PLOberlander 02-09-2015 06:32 PM

News = People Magazine

FLUFF, FLUFF, FLUFF

Then go nuts over a tragic story over and over because it is cheaper to hypothesize with "experts" on what happened that find out what really happened.

All corporate news is trash.

Picaroon 02-09-2015 06:42 PM

Years ago I gave a talk to our local Chamber of Commerce about automobile rate increases. It was a well thought out speech. I had done a lot of research and had practiced the speech. I was proud of the result. There was a reporter from a local newspaper who wrote an article about my speech and
not one thing was right. It was like he had not been there.

Over the years I had many opportunities to speak to the press about issues. I refused. I sent them off to our public relations folks in a city far, far away.

Never, never trust a reporter............

casualc 02-11-2015 04:20 AM

Brian Williams suspended without pay for 6 months. Just saw this on the tube.

jrolin1 02-11-2015 04:30 AM


Originally Posted by casualc (Post 7553285)
Brian Williams suspended without pay for 6 months. Just saw this on the tube.

Which is probably a way of saying if our ratings don't suffer he is gone for good. If our ratings suffer he will be back.

Blythe1022 02-11-2015 06:48 AM

I wonder if Brian Williams and Kurt Busch know each other? The stories the two of them could come up with.....

DFreedom 02-11-2015 07:12 AM

I realize that sometimes news stories do not always include all of the relevant facts but, it is sad that so many here are just ready to accept the fact that all news stories are lies. Is that whtat we have become, a society that accepts being lied to? I guess it is a sign of the times. I saw a story a few weeks ago where more than 60% of college students polled think there are times when it is okay to cheat in school. Doesn't say much for some people I guess.

Hooper 02-11-2015 07:51 AM


Originally Posted by OldPete (Post 7544598)
I don't understand why there is all this hoop-dee over Brian Williams and the news stories being BS, etc.

You mean to tell me that when you watch the "News" you really believe that the story is being told as it happened a majority of the time? Really?

Get real -- it's all BS. Doesn't matter if it's Brian Williams, Barbara Walters, or whoever. If you don't think it's BS just look around you. Look at the politicians. "for the people by the people"... yeah... because y'all are really going to black tie dinner for $5k a plate in a limo all the time. Yeah -- you're the people. LOL.

Sorry... but the Brian Williams thing is just silly. :roll

I think the difference is covering a news story is always open to interpretation. This is Williams own first person account, one would expect it to be accurate.

FishnDive 02-11-2015 07:53 AM

Take away his helmet and flak jacket, give him foul weather gear and let him point to street signs blowing in the wind

Afishinado 02-11-2015 08:02 AM

Well the dude can do the Rap...
http://youtu.be/-YCeIgt7hMs

fishingfun 02-11-2015 08:13 AM

When a story is one of facts I tend to believe but when its based off opinion then I verify the story. Telling people you were scared for your life because your helicopter was hit with rounds should be of facts. Just like saying you saw a dead body floating by your hotel in Katrina should be a fact. Now when your talking a subject like Global Warming that can be left up to opinions I'm more skeptical.

landfisher99 02-11-2015 09:19 AM

I wonder how big the waves are when Brian Williams goes on a boat. WAYYY bigger than THT waves.

rainmaker 02-11-2015 11:23 AM

I suspect Lyin' Bryan is done, Six months is a long time , How can you come back look into the Camera and know the people watching you see a LIar. Someoe will take his place and the Agenda will continue.
I found it rather amusing seeing a commerciacrap with Scott Pelley from CBS, talking about verifying stories and reporting with "integrity" blah blah blah.....
I guess CBS is working the angle for ratings.

FishnDive 02-11-2015 12:54 PM


Originally Posted by kone (Post 7545665)
Agree but nobody I despise more than someone who lies about, feigns, pretends, imbellishes, etc, etc, their participation, or lack thereof, with regards to our military.

Don't go drinking at the American Legion or VFW


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.