Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Shot an AR for the first time today

Notices

Shot an AR for the first time today

Old 01-10-2015, 07:52 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 480
Default Shot an AR for the first time today

New to me DPMS .308. Bore sighted a Nikon 3x scope by looking down the barrel with the rifle laying on the hood of a truck. First shot 7 inch low and 7 to the right. Made adjustment and 2nd shot an inch high.

Put through about 60 rounds of Russian steel cased with no hiccups. At 50 cents per round almost as cheap as 223 and much more useful. I'm hooked.
crump190 is offline  
Old 01-11-2015, 06:09 AM
  #2  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 18,601
Default

they are a BLAST to shoot, love my PSA AR
tprice is offline  
Old 01-11-2015, 06:33 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Dothan, Al
Posts: 587
Default

LR not AR, but anyway. Nice I need to get mine out and see why it won't cycle.
95Blitz is offline  
Old 01-11-2015, 07:09 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberPLEDGERPLEDGERCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ATL & SAV
Posts: 12,251
Default

Originally Posted by 95Blitz View Post
LR not AR, but anyway. Nice I need to get mine out and see why it won't cycle.
Have you cleaned the gas line in the bolt carrier? Could the recoil action spring be broken or hung up?
Tireless is offline  
Old 01-11-2015, 07:18 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Manatee County, Fla.
Posts: 293
Default

Originally Posted by crump190 View Post
New to me DPMS .308. Bore sighted a Nikon 3x scope by looking down the barrel with the rifle laying on the hood of a truck. First shot 7 inch low and 7 to the right. Made adjustment and 2nd shot an inch high.

Put through about 60 rounds of Russian steel cased with no hiccups. At 50 cents per round almost as cheap as 223 and much more useful. I'm hooked.
If you use quality U.S. made factory ammo, you might find your point of impact changing from the steel case ammo POI, some shooters do. It's good to know if there is a difference.
decal is offline  
Old 01-11-2015, 07:47 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Dothan, Al
Posts: 587
Default

Originally Posted by Tireless View Post
Have you cleaned the gas line in the bolt carrier? Could the recoil action spring be broken or hung up?

The gun is new just got done building it. It's getting better before it wouldnt eject the shell. Now it's not picking the next round up, not coming all the way back.
95Blitz is offline  
Old 01-11-2015, 08:03 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 1,476
Default

Clip a coil or two off the buffer spring and see how that does.
NCummins is offline  
Old 01-11-2015, 09:26 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 20
Default

I was an armorer in the army don't clip the buffer spring! I've done it, it can be done in some situations if done right but the buffer spring is not the problem. strip your bolt down and look at the locking lug there are 3 little washers on it and each of them have a little gap so they don't make a complete ring I'm willing to bet those little gaps are lined up or close to being lined up. spin them so the gaps are far away from eachother like gap in ring #1 is at 12 o'clock gap in ring #2 is at 5 o'clock gap in ring #3 is at the 10 o'clock position. Also try a box of high quality ammo there is often a lot of pressure difference between good ammo and cheap ammo. Find out what the min and max recommended grain bullet is for your barrel and try some that are close to the max grain weight. the more a bullet weight the more time it takes to get it up to speed when fired which creates more chamber pressure which you are in need of to cycle the bolt but cutting your buffer spring is like butting a band aid on your skin because you broke your bone.
Giericd is offline  
Old 01-11-2015, 09:52 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Seefood Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,672
Default

Originally Posted by Giericd View Post
I was an armorer in the army don't clip the buffer spring! I've done it, it can be done in some situations if done right but the buffer spring is not the problem. strip your bolt down and look at the locking lug there are 3 little washers on it and each of them have a little gap so they don't make a complete ring I'm willing to bet those little gaps are lined up or close to being lined up. spin them so the gaps are far away from eachother like gap in ring #1 is at 12 o'clock gap in ring #2 is at 5 o'clock gap in ring #3 is at the 10 o'clock position. Also try a box of high quality ammo there is often a lot of pressure difference between good ammo and cheap ammo. Find out what the min and max recommended grain bullet is for your barrel and try some that are close to the max grain weight. the more a bullet weight the more time it takes to get it up to speed when fired which creates more chamber pressure which you are in need of to cycle the bolt but cutting your buffer spring is like butting a band aid on your skin because you broke your bone.
Makes 100% sense to me

BTW Giericd.....Welcome
Seefood Man is offline  
Old 01-11-2015, 01:24 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Dothan, Al
Posts: 587
Default

Nope not the sealing rings, I'm a gear head built a few engines so I know about ring gaps. I have 3 different brands of ammo 2 cheap and 1 not so cheap in 150 and 165gr. I readjusted the gas block but haven't shot it yet to see that helped..
95Blitz is offline  
Old 01-11-2015, 03:17 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,946
Default

I just got my first 3 wekks ago. A Del Ton 5.56. Love that little sucker. Fun to shoot and burns up a box in no time. My need to get a .308 also. Two inch group at 100 of a crappy rest. Need to work on that.Enjoy your new toy.
2dogs1949 is offline  
Old 01-11-2015, 03:36 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,938
Default

If you are going .308, I would go with something other than the AR platform. Just my lil' ol' .02.
Shag is offline  
Old 01-11-2015, 03:44 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,831
Default

Originally Posted by Shag View Post
If you are going .308, I would go with something other than the AR platform. Just my lil' ol' .02.
Yea but Bo your bias towards the M1A1 (they are fun too) but I really like my AR 10, its a fun shooter too. Nothing wrong with that platform...
Cracker is offline  
Old 01-11-2015, 03:51 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Nantucket, Ma
Posts: 556
Default

Originally Posted by 95Blitz View Post
The gun is new just got done building it. It's getting better before it wouldnt eject the shell. Now it's not picking the next round up, not coming all the way back.
AK 47. This thing will shoot ever time
wonoma is offline  
Old 01-11-2015, 03:55 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,938
Default

Don't get me wrong. I have M1A's and also have a DPMS Panther.308. Very accurate gun. But, personally I would rather shoot a M1A platform with NM sights than I would an AR platform with a scope. JMHO.
Shag is offline  
Old 01-11-2015, 04:01 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere NC
Posts: 8,144
Default

Pics or it didn't happen it's winter we all need gun porn
cfarmd is offline  
Old 01-11-2015, 04:02 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,831
Default

Originally Posted by Shag View Post
Don't get me wrong. I have M1A's and also have a DPMS Panther.308. Very accurate gun. But, personally I would rather shoot a M1A platform with NM sights than I would an AR platform with a scope. JMHO.

Just so were clear....
Cracker is offline  
Old 01-12-2015, 03:40 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ct
Posts: 401
Default

Originally Posted by Giericd View Post
I was an armorer in the army don't clip the buffer spring! I've done it, it can be done in some situations if done right but the buffer spring is not the problem. strip your bolt down and look at the locking lug there are 3 little washers on it and each of them have a little gap so they don't make a complete ring I'm willing to bet those little gaps are lined up or close to being lined up. spin them so the gaps are far away from eachother like gap in ring #1 is at 12 o'clock gap in ring #2 is at 5 o'clock gap in ring #3 is at the 10 o'clock position. Also try a box of high quality ammo there is often a lot of pressure difference between good ammo and cheap ammo. Find out what the min and max recommended grain bullet is for your barrel and try some that are close to the max grain weight. the more a bullet weight the more time it takes to get it up to speed when fired which creates more chamber pressure which you are in need of to cycle the bolt but cutting your buffer spring is like butting a band aid on your skin because you broke your bone.
That's some good advise
Better off trying a different spring/buffer than chopping one if that is really where the problem lies.
I would try different magazines too maybe like a Pmag. Could have a gas block issue too. I've had an issue where the detent on the barrel didn't quite line up w set screw on the GB. Also had a GB that had millings? In it brand new.
Steve4Hire is offline  
Old 01-12-2015, 08:28 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Coral
Posts: 416
Default

the original AR was in .308, so the platform was designed for it.

yes your buffer spring needs to be tuned, it is very common with the 308 AR's, JP enterprises sells a really nice kit, three springs to tune them.

check out 308AR.com, tons of info there, like the common occurance of the bolt over ride due to buffer spring.

oh yeah, I was a unit armourer to for six months, my gf's mos was small arms repair. there is a difference.
-001 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread