Notices

Cannot sleep!!

Old 06-13-2014, 12:11 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Somewhere in the Sun, FL.
Posts: 2,000
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cannot sleep!!

I work night shift so I don't have a normal sleep routine. However, I'm usually in bed on work days by 4am and will wake up around 9:30am those days. So 5 hours or so sleep and I'm good. On my nights off I try to go to bed by 10pm to "catch up" on missed sleep. This has worked for several years and I used to be able to get 9-12 hours sleep on my off days.

The last two months I have a hard time falling asleep, staying asleep, and I find myself waking up really early. On work nights I'm waking up around 8am and off nights I'm up between 6-8:30am. It's 3:05 am as I write this and I've been awake since 7:30am yesterday with no feeling of falling asleep in sight.

I exercise religiously, never stop in the sense I'm always tinkering around the house, working on the cars, boat, toys, etc. I did 3 hours of lawn work yesterday and detailed my truck. Changed the oil and serviced my ATV, lawn mower, generator, and did a bunch of house chores. No alcohol consumption and no caffeine after noon time. Seriously frustrated. I hate taking crap (pills) for any reason but I just popped 2 benedryl and nothing. So I took 2 more and am now feeling drowsy. They'll do the trick but what gives?

I try hot showers, warm milk, warm water, stretching, quiet time, etc... Any suggestions from anyone on something that works for them?
Old 06-13-2014, 01:09 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,593
Received 192 Likes on 96 Posts
Default

Choke the chicken
Old 06-13-2014, 02:49 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Land O Lakes, FL
Posts: 3,585
Likes: 0
Received 243 Likes on 132 Posts
Default

I don't usually have a problem sleeping unless I've been dealing with or thinking about a stressful situation but I have a friend who has issues sleeping and he takes the melatonin pills. Another guy I talked to says he smokes some pot or drinks a couple beers to fall asleep.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:11 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: cape coral, fl
Posts: 5,920
Received 543 Likes on 337 Posts
Default

Melatonin works for me. It allows me to get at least 7-8 hrs of sleep when I take it. I normally don't sleep more than 5hrs a night.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:19 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 927
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

I travel and work overseas for three to four month rotations. I use to be able to get one a good sleep cycle once at work wether I was working day shift or night shift. Lately I've had to start taking ambien to help me sleep... I hate it, but I need to sleep.

For you, it may just be the fact that you don't stay on a regular circadian rhythm. On your off days instead of sleeping at a different time then on your work days, try keeping the same schedule as much as possible. Maybe going to bed a couple hours early and sleeping in a couple hours more to do your "catch up".
Old 06-13-2014, 03:35 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,083
Likes: 0
Received 399 Likes on 223 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SeaSquid631 View Post
Choke the chicken
this
Old 06-13-2014, 03:56 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sarasota
Posts: 3,693
Received 435 Likes on 207 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Alureing View Post
this
Better yet poke the poultry
Old 06-13-2014, 04:38 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
PLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Snapper Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Republic of West Florida - the ORIGINAL lone star state
Posts: 17,830
Received 1,100 Likes on 488 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SlipperyWhenWet View Post
I work night shift so I don't have a normal sleep routine. However, I'm usually in bed on work days by 4am and will wake up around 9:30am those days. So 5 hours or so sleep and I'm good. On my nights off I try to go to bed by 10pm to "catch up" on missed sleep. This has worked for several years and I used to be able to get 9-12 hours sleep on my off days.

The last two months I have a hard time falling asleep, staying asleep, and I find myself waking up really early. On work nights I'm waking up around 8am and off nights I'm up between 6-8:30am. It's 3:05 am as I write this and I've been awake since 7:30am yesterday with no feeling of falling asleep in sight.

I exercise religiously, never stop in the sense I'm always tinkering around the house, working on the cars, boat, toys, etc. I did 3 hours of lawn work yesterday and detailed my truck. Changed the oil and serviced my ATV, lawn mower, generator, and did a bunch of house chores. No alcohol consumption and no caffeine after noon time. Seriously frustrated. I hate taking crap (pills) for any reason but I just popped 2 benedryl and nothing. So I took 2 more and am now feeling drowsy. They'll do the trick but what gives?

I try hot showers, warm milk, warm water, stretching, quiet time, etc... Any suggestions from anyone on something that works for them?
I am unable to assist.

But if you ever have any problems staying awake, gimme a jingle.


Big Al
Old 06-13-2014, 04:42 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club
 
Ronn Burgandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 15,141
Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Snapper Head View Post
I am unable to assist.

But if you ever have any problems staying awake, gimme a jingle.


Big Al
Where Al cannot help, I can.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:18 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,682
Received 828 Likes on 400 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SeaSquid631 View Post
Choke the chicken
X3
Old 06-13-2014, 05:45 AM
  #11  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 9,116
Received 2,510 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Default

I could send you an audio tape of my wife going off on me when she is in one of those moods Guaranteed to put you to sleep
Old 06-13-2014, 06:12 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Eastport205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 3,675
Received 1,192 Likes on 631 Posts
Default

I work a rotating schedule too, I can go to sleep in minutes, wake up any time during the night or morning and go right back to sleep again, in minutes. When I do wake up and find I need to get more sleep (for schedule reasons) I simply close my eyes and imagine myself throwing footballs into targets like garbage cans where the endzone pylons would be or into the back of moving trucks but never to people (I don't know why I just do this)and I always find myself waking up an hour or so later, I'd imagine this is akin to counting sheep.

The room is important too, I have interior shutters in my bedroom so it is really really dark. I live alone too so my house is really quite. If house or neighborhood noise is a problem I STRONGLY suggest a Marpac Sound Machine, it is a white noise machine that blocks out the sounds around the house.

Last edited by Eastport205; 06-13-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:49 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Out west
Posts: 3,340
Likes: 0
Received 585 Likes on 290 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SlipperyWhenWet View Post
I work night shift so I don't have a normal sleep routine. However, I'm usually in bed on work days by 4am and will wake up around 9:30am those days. So 5 hours or so sleep and I'm good. On my nights off I try to go to bed by 10pm to "catch up" on missed sleep. This has worked for several years and I used to be able to get 9-12 hours sleep on my off days.

The last two months I have a hard time falling asleep, staying asleep, and I find myself waking up really early. On work nights I'm waking up around 8am and off nights I'm up between 6-8:30am. It's 3:05 am as I write this and I've been awake since 7:30am yesterday with no feeling of falling asleep in sight.

I exercise religiously, never stop in the sense I'm always tinkering around the house, working on the cars, boat, toys, etc. I did 3 hours of lawn work yesterday and detailed my truck. Changed the oil and serviced my ATV, lawn mower, generator, and did a bunch of house chores. No alcohol consumption and no caffeine after noon time. Seriously frustrated. I hate taking crap (pills) for any reason but I just popped 2 benedryl and nothing. So I took 2 more and am now feeling drowsy. They'll do the trick but what gives?

I try hot showers, warm milk, warm water, stretching, quiet time, etc... Any suggestions from anyone on something that works for them?
Go to your doc. Don't try to "manage" a new sleep disorder by yourself for very long. 50mg of benedryl (2 pills) should make you drowsy. 100mg is a big dose. Way big. Once you start obtaining a self remedy, you go down the path of meds/alcohol etc.

As we age, our pineal gland stops making melatonin. So your age may matter. You may ultimately end up with a sleep study. There are lots of things to check, and medical supervision would be a good place to start. Read here for a starter: http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders...oms-and-causes

What you describe is a real issue and symptom treatment may not be a good answer.

Good luck.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:55 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,682
Received 828 Likes on 400 Posts
Default

Weed
Old 06-13-2014, 07:33 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Somewhere in the Sun, FL.
Posts: 2,000
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mikeloew View Post
I could send you an audio tape of my wife going off on me when she is in one of those moods Guaranteed to put you to sleep
Old 06-13-2014, 07:35 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Somewhere in the Sun, FL.
Posts: 2,000
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dssmith View Post
Go to your doc. Don't try to "manage" a new sleep disorder by yourself for very long. 50mg of benedryl (2 pills) should make you drowsy. 100mg is a big dose. Way big. Once you start obtaining a self remedy, you go down the path of meds/alcohol etc.

As we age, our pineal gland stops making melatonin. So your age may matter. You may ultimately end up with a sleep study. There are lots of things to check, and medical supervision would be a good place to start. Read here for a starter: http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders...oms-and-causes

What you describe is a real issue and symptom treatment may not be a good answer.

Good luck.
I think you may be right..
Old 06-13-2014, 08:47 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Seefood Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,741
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dssmith View Post
Go to your doc. Don't try to "manage" a new sleep disorder by yourself for very long. 50mg of benedryl (2 pills) should make you drowsy. 100mg is a big dose. Way big. Once you start obtaining a self remedy, you go down the path of meds/alcohol etc.

As we age, our pineal gland stops making melatonin. So your age may matter. You may ultimately end up with a sleep study. There are lots of things to check, and medical supervision would be a good place to start. Read here for a starter: http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders...oms-and-causes

What you describe is a real issue and symptom treatment may not be a good answer.

Good luck.
That's why my wife calls it a light sabor.










Oh wait wrong gland
Old 06-13-2014, 08:49 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,730
Received 517 Likes on 320 Posts
Default

Eat a turkey sandwich and turn on the golf channel...
Old 06-13-2014, 08:57 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,326
Received 3,794 Likes on 1,693 Posts
Default

Somnapure.
Over the counter at CVS.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:37 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 1,476
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Valerian Root.
I don't like strong pills, I've heard horror stories about ambien and other sleep aids so I take 3 Valerian root pills 3 hours before bed. It relaxes you, it doesn't really make you tired, it just calms you down and relieves the stress so you can sleep. My problem is when I hit the pillow I start thinking. About work, did I lock the doors, what was that noise, etc.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.