Notices

Painting Luan plywood

Old 03-13-2014, 07:12 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 2,959
Likes: 0
Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Painting Luan plywood

I need to panel a small utility closet and have to bend the plywood to get it into place, for that reason, and price , I want to use Luan plywood, some plywood, the grain raises and it gets rough when you paint it with latex.
Any issues painting Luan?
Thanks
Old 03-13-2014, 07:17 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Central LA
Posts: 2,065
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

I just made a shelf to break apart a large mirror that we have in our Master Bath. For the backing I used Luan.

There is a primed side and an unprimed sided (primed side is a little smoother and has a sticker). I sanded it very lighty with a 220 grit, Then I used one coat of Kilz applied with a roller, then I put 2 coat of Sherwin Williams White Latex Trim Paint. It came out better than expected for Luan.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:33 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Venice, Florida
Posts: 16,901
Received 625 Likes on 345 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Coonass View Post
I just made a shelf to break apart a large mirror that we have in our Master Bath. For the backing I used Luan.

There is a primed side and an unprimed sided (primed side is a little smoother and has a sticker). I sanded it very lighty with a 220 grit, Then I used one coat of Kilz applied with a roller, then I put 2 coat of Sherwin Williams White Latex Trim Paint. It came out better than expected for Luan.
This and sand between coats, especially after the primer coat.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:40 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Central LA
Posts: 2,065
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor View Post
This and sand between coats, especially after the primer coat.
Thinking back I put 2 coat of Kilz

Kilz
sand with 80 grit 3m sanding pad
wipe with a rag with a little mineral spirits on it
Kilz
sand with 120? 3m sanding pad
wipe with a rag with a little mineral spirits on it
Top coat
sand with 220
wipe with a wet rag
top coat


It took me twice as long to paint the piece than to make the shelf


If you can and have the space.......

lay them out on some saw horses and paint them outside before you hang them
Old 03-13-2014, 09:12 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Hammond, LA
Posts: 17,424
Likes: 0
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by coonass View Post
lay them out on some saw horses and paint them outside before you hang them
this!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:18 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 983
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I would just add that you want to be careful sanding plywood, as it usually comes from the factory sanded to 220 (or is it 180) grit. You will likely need to sand it after priming it, but do not get too aggressive or you run the risk of sanding through the plies.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: AL
Posts: 4,846
Received 1,016 Likes on 539 Posts
Default

in a closet? No the grain wont raise on luan like some other plies. put it up and slap a coat of paint on it.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:44 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dix hills ny
Posts: 4,034
Likes: 0
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mwgoldman View Post
in a closet? No the grain wont raise on luan like some other plies. put it up and slap a coat of paint on it.
This^^^

Flush doors in every mass supply house is luan, nothing special paint away
Old 03-20-2018, 04:37 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 5,297
Received 276 Likes on 177 Posts
Default

This was great, I do a search on painting the luan panels on the interior of my new trailer and it brings me to HullTruth for the answer.

White paint on the way.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.