Notices

Coyote In Town

Old 12-29-2013, 03:04 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,947
Default Coyote In Town

My daughter is living at my Mom's house basically to keep it occupied while Mom is in a home with alzheimers. She said she had seen a coyote on a couple occasions and it looks like we found a den. The house sits on 10+ acres but the problem is that it is in the city limits and I am not supposed to discharge a firearm in town.

Aside from a couple of the cruel disposal methods, what can I do? I was thinking about shooting the damned thing anyway and swear that it approaching me and my dog. Animal control said since it's a wild animal it ain't their job and NC Wildlife won't call me back and I ain't hiring a "animal remover" or whatever you call them.

Any ideas?
Shag is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 03:06 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Birmingham / Hessel, MI
Posts: 26,997
Default

Pour ammonia in the den?
cedarholm is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 03:07 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
ladyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lake champlain vermont
Posts: 30,179
Default

air rifle over bait sure and silent
ladyjane is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 03:18 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Greenville/Goose Creek NC
Posts: 1,252
Default

Being on 10 acres I would shoot it. Can't possibly have too many neighbors around. A high powered pellet rifle or 22 should do the trick if it comes close enough.
patro is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 03:26 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,947
Default

Originally Posted by patro View Post
Being on 10 acres I would shoot it. Can't possibly have too many neighbors around.
That's the problem. The land is triangle shaped and backs up to about 25-30 houses. I would have to shoot at a pretty steep downward angle. Question for you and ladyjane, will a pellet gun really kill a coyote?
Shag is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 03:41 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 478
Default

Please don't jump all over me here just curious why do you need to kill it?
ecrooks is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 04:00 PM
  #7  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 18,752
Default

Shotgun should do the trick

They do make pellet guns that have enough power to kill them but pretty expensive

Not sure how to find them but there are guys around here that trap those bastards, I would look for someone like that
tprice is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 04:06 PM
  #8  
cdx
Senior Member
 
cdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cecil co. MD
Posts: 3,452
Default

Originally Posted by ecrooks View Post
Please don't jump all over me here just curious why do you need to kill it?
Exposure to rabies, preying upon livestock, domestic animals, chickens, possibility of injury to children on the property would all be reason enough to dispose of a predator creature on your property.
cdx is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 04:07 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlantic, NC & Powhatan, Va
Posts: 1,579
Default

Once you have coyote in the area if you eliminate one you are just making space for the next one to move in.
ThumperVII is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 04:07 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,947
Default

Originally Posted by ecrooks View Post
Please don't jump all over me here just curious why do you need to kill it?
Good question. Around here they are very over populated and are causing all sorts of problems. I live about 2-3 miles away but I am in the county and they are killing baby deer, calves at a nearby cattle farm, etc. My sister was down for the holidays and had her 6 month old designer dog that a coyote would have snatched in a second. This is the house I grew up in and now it isn't safe to let a small dog run. That is a problem.

Kinda like dangerous alligators on a golf course. The house is less than 3 blocks from both the local elementary school and the local high school.

I would like nothing more than to just pick it up, throw it in the truck, feed it some dog biscuits on the way to wherever coyotes live. But we all know that ain't gonna happen. Even if they are good biscuits.
Shag is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 04:09 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Greenville/Goose Creek NC
Posts: 1,252
Default

Shag, there are some powerful pellet rifles available these days. I have even seen some guys shoot wild hogs with them. The one I have will shoot 1300fps with proper ammo. A well placed shot will put it down if it's shot at an acceptable range which might be difficult with a coyote.

Another option would be to contact a trapper. Guys around here trap them and sell them to fox pen owners to train fox hounds.
patro is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 04:12 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlantic, NC & Powhatan, Va
Posts: 1,579
Default

get him the ACME catalog and a gift card and send him to N.M.
ThumperVII is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 04:14 PM
  #13  
cdx
Senior Member
 
cdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cecil co. MD
Posts: 3,452
Default

Originally Posted by ThumperVII View Post
get him the ACME catalog and a gift card and send him to N.M.

Or see if you can hire the Road Runner
cdx is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 04:16 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,947
Default

Originally Posted by cdx View Post

Or see if you can hire the Road Runner
We don't have road runners around here but he might chase a snipe.
Shag is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 04:16 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cozumel mostly, and Denton, Texas
Posts: 3,968
Default

We have them all over here in SW Denver. LOVE them. They eat feral cats and Chihuahuas!
skibum is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 04:19 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
ladyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lake champlain vermont
Posts: 30,179
Default

The Indians said if everything else died only the coyote would remain
ladyjane is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 04:19 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,150
Default

Originally Posted by Shag View Post
My daughter is living at my Mom's house basically to keep it occupied while Mom is in a home with alzheimers. She said she had seen a coyote on a couple occasions and it looks like we found a den. The house sits on 10+ acres but the problem is that it is in the city limits and I am not supposed to discharge a firearm in town.

Aside from a couple of the cruel disposal methods, what can I do? I was thinking about shooting the damned thing anyway and swear that it approaching me and my dog. Animal control said since it's a wild animal it ain't their job and NC Wildlife won't call me back and I ain't hiring a "animal remover" or whatever you call them.

Any ideas?
I applaud you efforts on avoiding cruel disposal methods. I hate the damn things but I would stoop to poisons, traps, and the like.

Bend the law. Use a .22 and muffle the sound/flash the old fashioned way; 22 oz pop bottle and some glass insulation. Their brains are tiny so go center of mass.
Qb1rdman is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 04:23 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,150
Default

Originally Posted by Shag View Post
That's the problem. The land is triangle shaped and backs up to about 25-30 houses. I would have to shoot at a pretty steep downward angle. Question for you and ladyjane, will a pellet gun really kill a coyote?
Ugh. Tough situation.

I wouldn't go that way but there are pellet guns and shooters that could pull it off.
Qb1rdman is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 04:32 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,947
Default

Originally Posted by Qb1rdman View Post
I applaud you efforts on avoiding cruel disposal methods. I hate the damn things but I would stoop to poisons, traps, and the like.

Bend the law. Use a .22 and muffle the sound/flash the old fashioned way; 22 oz pop bottle and some glass insulation. Their brains are tiny so go center of mass.

Just spoke with local LE and was unofficially told if I was "protecting myself and my dog" that discharging a weapon within the city limits charge would most likely be overlooked.

Thanks for all the imput folks!
Shag is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 04:43 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 1,930
Default

What town in NC? I'm in Gastonia. A lady down the street finished one off with a shovel after her boxer disabled it.
BarryD is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread