Notices

Bowhunting Questions for Newbie

Old 09-30-2013, 09:52 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montrose, AL
Posts: 2,547
Default Bowhunting Questions for Newbie

Been hunting all my life but gonna take the bow out first time this year. The boys and I are excited about doing something new. Couple of things:

1) How do you guys handle your quiver in the stand? Take it off and hang it up or leave it on your bow?

2) Do you immediately go ahead and nock an arrow as soon as you get settled and hold the whole rig? Hang bow to the side with arrow nocked?

3) Looking for safety harnesses for my boys. 70 lbs and 90 lbs. Seen a few floating around the internet but, if anybody has a good name or source that would be helpful.
camnbo is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 10:00 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Powhatan, VA
Posts: 1,868
Default

I have only been bow hunting for a couple years now and hope to start the third year this Saturday!

So, I will answer with what I do. I have no idea if it is right or not.

Originally Posted by camnbo View Post
1) How do you guys handle your quiver in the stand? Take it off and hang it up or leave it on your bow?

2) Do you immediately go ahead and nock an arrow as soon as you get settled and hold the whole rig? Hang bow to the side with arrow nocked?
I remove my quiver and knock an arrow almost immediately once I get comfortable with my stand set up.

I remove the quiver because that's how I target shoot and I try to keep everything exactly the same from target shooting to the day of the hunt.

As for the safety harness for a kid, I'm not sure since I was given mine as a hand-me-down from my cousin. But, I'd be interested to hear what others have to say since my 9-year-old daughter wants to start bow-hunting.
Lively-Lines is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 10:05 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The South
Posts: 2,214
Default

I take the quiver off and hang it in the tree. However, practice shooting both ways just in case you can't take it off one day.

Yes, I sit down and have an arrow knocked the entire time......shit happens fast, you don't want to have to screw around and knock an arrow when that 8 point is crusing past you. I also keep the bow in my lap unless I am standing and then I am still holding it. Same reasoning as stated previously........if that big 8 point is standing broadside @ 20yds I sure as shit don't want to have to be pulling my bow off the side of the tree.

I use a Muddy Outdoors Harness and really like it, another really nice option is Summit.
Contractor is online now  
Old 09-30-2013, 10:12 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hooksett, NH
Posts: 1,617
Default

I take my quiver off and hang on a hook

and always nock an arrow also hanging on a hook for the bow to be ready at all times while in the tree

I never hold the bow but it has to be within easy reach while looking at the deer....I try not to take my eyes off the deer while in sight......it's very easy to make too much movement when on stand and the bow movement will alert them very fast

I use a full body harness
WillyC27 is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 10:27 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,625
Default

I remove quiver and hang from tree. Knock an arrow immediately.

Mostly I'll sit w/ bow across my lap, but will hang on a holder if standing or occasionally while sitting.

I use the "free" full body harness that came w/ one of my tree stands.
uncljohn is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 11:09 AM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 92
Default

Keep in mind, make sure it is during legal shooting hours before knocking an arrow. If you have an arrow knocked before legal shooting times, that is illegal.
I like to take the quiver off my bow, because that's how I practice, and to keep the weight of the bow as low as possible. Never know how long you will have to hold it at full draw on a deer.
boat_beginner is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 11:52 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The South
Posts: 2,214
Default

Originally Posted by boat_beginner View Post
Keep in mind, make sure it is during legal shooting hours before knocking an arrow. If you have an arrow knocked before legal shooting times, that is illegal.

Say what?

Contractor is online now  
Old 09-30-2013, 12:07 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 92
Default

It's the same as loading a firearm before legal shooting hours, in some states.
From sun up to sun set are legal shooting hours. If you get to your stand early in the morning and it's still dark, you knock an arrow, that is illegal. It is here anyway.

Last edited by boat_beginner; 09-30-2013 at 01:07 PM.
boat_beginner is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 12:53 PM
  #9  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 18,528
Default

Originally Posted by WillyC27 View Post
I take my quiver off and hang on a hook

and always nock an arrow also hanging on a hook for the bow to be ready at all times while in the tree

I never hold the bow but it has to be within easy reach while looking at the deer....I try not to take my eyes off the deer while in sight......it's very easy to make too much movement when on stand and the bow movement will alert them very fast

I use a full body harness

Me too

I use one of those Ez Hangar(or something like that) that you screw into a tree and it has several pivot points and I can have the bow right where my left hand can slip right into it very easy

STAY ON YOUR TOWS, LOT of movement has to take place that does not have to happen with a gun so soon as you see something you are going to shoot get ready first chance you have, quickly but quietly and with as slow a movement as possible

Also make sure when you shoot to shoot to opposite side of the deer, almost see where you want the arrow to come out. Keep in mind also that this is not a rifle bullet, while I have shot many deer through the shoulders you actually want to be just behind the shoulder to avoid hitting bone if at all possible( I have seen a lot of newbies fall to this when shoot a deer with a bow for the first time)


STAY CALM

When that arrow flies and hit home it is better than SEX(Admiral is DAMN GOOD TOO) but NOTHING LIKE IT
tprice is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 04:30 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SW Alberta
Posts: 182
Default

Welcome to the new cocaine! Bow hunting is sooooooo fun.. Anyways, However you practice with your bow is how you should hunt with it. If ya practice with quiver on, hunt with it on and vice versa... As for holding vs. hanging, I prefer to hold as metioned before, things happen very quick. I will hang though as well depending on the day, visability and how long I'm on the stand for... Makes an aweful long day holding your bow for 6 hours. Just be prepared. I have been caught by critters slipping in when I'm not holding my bow and cannot make a play because of it. As for a harness, please for the sake of you and your kids, get a full body harness that keeps you upright in the event of a fall. Spend the money and make sure you go home alive at the end of the day. The old belts are just plain dangerous.. Get ready for a new kinda rush. Nothing like seeing the whites of their eyes your so close.... It is so awesome even if you don't end up shooting. Some of the things we see in a season are just spectacular. If you have a Go Pro or similar I highly recommend taking it along. Have fun and remember, we like pictures!!!
incept is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 05:12 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: new castle pa usa
Posts: 538
Default

Old guy here, I use a crossbow. I can't hold that compound back for to long anymore. My crossbow sits in a tripod on a table inside a tent.

I sit behind the table in a nice comfy chair and when it gets cold I turn the heater on..Fill the freezer every year
tamos46 is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 05:20 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hooksett, NH
Posts: 1,617
Default

Originally Posted by boat_beginner View Post
It's the same as loading a firearm before legal shooting hours, in some states.
From sun up to sun set are legal shooting hours. If you get to your stand early in the morning and it's still dark, you knock an arrow, that is illegal. It is here anyway.
Different states have different laws....in NH you just can't shoot before 1/2 hr before sunrise and after 1/2 hr after sunset

Never heard of nocking arrows as illegal before shooting hours....it may be, just not heard of that
WillyC27 is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 05:22 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Achilles, VA
Posts: 5,117
Default

1. Take it off and hang it with my bag

2. Yes and yes

3. Can't help here. Never worn one. I know I need to.

Bow hunting is addicting. You will be hooked. It's the only way I deer hunt.
Mako 234 is online now  
Old 09-30-2013, 07:41 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montrose, AL
Posts: 2,547
Default

Originally Posted by boat_beginner View Post
Keep in mind, make sure it is during legal shooting hours before knocking an arrow. If you have an arrow knocked before legal shooting times, that is illegal.
I like to take the quiver off my bow, because that's how I practice, and to keep the weight of the bow as low as possible. Never know how long you will have to hold it at full draw on a deer.
Where we hunt is so far away from anything, God will barely know my arrows nocked. I'm planning on taking my quiver off too cuz that's how I practice. Thanks bro!
camnbo is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 07:42 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montrose, AL
Posts: 2,547
Default

Originally Posted by tamos46 View Post
Old guy here, I use a crossbow. I can't hold that compound back for to long anymore. My crossbow sits in a tripod on a table inside a tent.

I sit behind the table in a nice comfy chair and when it gets cold I turn the heater on..Fill the freezer every year
Very nice!
camnbo is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 07:48 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montrose, AL
Posts: 2,547
Default

Originally Posted by incept View Post
Welcome to the new cocaine! Bow hunting is sooooooo fun.. Anyways, However you practice with your bow is how you should hunt with it. If ya practice with quiver on, hunt with it on and vice versa... As for holding vs. hanging, I prefer to hold as metioned before, things happen very quick. I will hang though as well depending on the day, visability and how long I'm on the stand for... Makes an aweful long day holding your bow for 6 hours. Just be prepared. I have been caught by critters slipping in when I'm not holding my bow and cannot make a play because of it. As for a harness, please for the sake of you and your kids, get a full body harness that keeps you upright in the event of a fall. Spend the money and make sure you go home alive at the end of the day. The old belts are just plain dangerous.. Get ready for a new kinda rush. Nothing like seeing the whites of their eyes your so close.... It is so awesome even if you don't end up shooting. Some of the things we see in a season are just spectacular. If you have a Go Pro or similar I highly recommend taking it along. Have fun and remember, we like pictures!!!
That's why I'm asking. I'm all about being safe. Nothing will ruin you're hunt and life faster than something bad happening. We're gonna be all set. I do have a go pro and I'm gonna try to use it. Thanks.
camnbo is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 07:50 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montrose, AL
Posts: 2,547
Default

Originally Posted by incept View Post
Welcome to the new cocaine! Bow hunting is sooooooo fun.. Anyways, However you practice with your bow is how you should hunt with it. If ya practice with quiver on, hunt with it on and vice versa... As for holding vs. hanging, I prefer to hold as metioned before, things happen very quick. I will hang though as well depending on the day, visability and how long I'm on the stand for... Makes an aweful long day holding your bow for 6 hours. Just be prepared. I have been caught by critters slipping in when I'm not holding my bow and cannot make a play because of it. As for a harness, please for the sake of you and your kids, get a full body harness that keeps you upright in the event of a fall. Spend the money and make sure you go home alive at the end of the day. The old belts are just plain dangerous.. Get ready for a new kinda rush. Nothing like seeing the whites of their eyes your so close.... It is so awesome even if you don't end up shooting. Some of the things we see in a season are just spectacular. If you have a Go Pro or similar I highly recommend taking it along. Have fun and remember, we like pictures!!!
One more thing. Are the vests better than the harnesses? I've heard both ways.
camnbo is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 08:50 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SW Alberta
Posts: 182
Default

I think for the most part the harness/vest debate is a matter of personal preference. I'm not plugging for Cabelas or anyone but I use something similar to this in the link and find it user friendly. I think anything like this will work, just depends on how it fits and your budget..

I fell once. It sucked. To busy watching deer and not paying attention. One more thing to remember, you may already know but if not, just remember when shooting out of a stand or elevated position your point of impact will change. The steeper the angle the more drastic the change. Might be worth setting up a stand and firing off a few arrows to see where you need to aim.... Good luck, I'm hoping to see some pictures soon!!!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104639580
incept is offline  
Old 10-01-2013, 04:42 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 727
Default

Hang your bow, nock your arrow and strap in. Youre gonna love it.
Every year a number of guys fall out of trees and are paralyzed or killed. Hard to rationalize that to the family. I use a rock climbers harness because they are smaller and lighter. When you are carrying your bow, a pack, climber and all the other stuff a few pounds makes a difference.
Now post up some picks of the hawgs in your area.
irishangler is online now  
Old 10-01-2013, 04:49 AM
  #20  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 18,528
Default

Up until last year I have NEVER worn a harness however the older I get the WISER and more cautious I get

I do not use my climber much at all but when I do normally it is bow season and with bow hunting there is a higher chance of falling (IMHO) than with a gun due to the fact you have to position yourself more for a shot

I bought a Hunter Safety System vest and really like it, we also hunt out of a lot of ladder stands and I have got to the point I will even wear it in those due to how easy and unrestrictive it is.

Lot of my gun hunting, in fact most of it, is out of box/condo stands so no need therre


However from what guy with SCDNR told me a few years back the biggest part of tree stand accidents are not WHILE you are in the stand it is going up or down to get in the stand

In fact 2 years ago a guy that I have known for years and he was actually a camera guy for Bill Jordan of Realtree for years fell out of his stand while bowhunting(all he did was bow hunt) and was killed. Mike had been in and out of more deer stands in his life than I have even seen so if it can happen to him it could happen to me.

Sad it takes something like that to open our eyes

In fact one of my best friends is married to Mike's exwife and when that happened he also went out and bought a HSS Vest.

I guess they are lot like a kill switch on a boat or a seatbelt in a car, you hope you never need it but if you do you will not have time to put it on until it is too late
tprice is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread