The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   Bowhunting Questions for Newbie (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/541047-bowhunting-questions-newbie.html)

camnbo 09-30-2013 09:52 AM

Bowhunting Questions for Newbie
 
Been hunting all my life but gonna take the bow out first time this year. The boys and I are excited about doing something new. Couple of things:

1) How do you guys handle your quiver in the stand? Take it off and hang it up or leave it on your bow?

2) Do you immediately go ahead and nock an arrow as soon as you get settled and hold the whole rig? Hang bow to the side with arrow nocked?

3) Looking for safety harnesses for my boys. 70 lbs and 90 lbs. Seen a few floating around the internet but, if anybody has a good name or source that would be helpful.

Lively-Lines 09-30-2013 10:00 AM

I have only been bow hunting for a couple years now and hope to start the third year this Saturday! :thumbsup:

So, I will answer with what I do. I have no idea if it is right or not.


Originally Posted by camnbo (Post 6048737)
1) How do you guys handle your quiver in the stand? Take it off and hang it up or leave it on your bow?

2) Do you immediately go ahead and nock an arrow as soon as you get settled and hold the whole rig? Hang bow to the side with arrow nocked?

I remove my quiver and knock an arrow almost immediately once I get comfortable with my stand set up.

I remove the quiver because that's how I target shoot and I try to keep everything exactly the same from target shooting to the day of the hunt.

As for the safety harness for a kid, I'm not sure since I was given mine as a hand-me-down from my cousin. But, I'd be interested to hear what others have to say since my 9-year-old daughter wants to start bow-hunting.

Contractor 09-30-2013 10:05 AM

I take the quiver off and hang it in the tree. However, practice shooting both ways just in case you can't take it off one day.

Yes, I sit down and have an arrow knocked the entire time......shit happens fast, you don't want to have to screw around and knock an arrow when that 8 point is crusing past you. I also keep the bow in my lap unless I am standing and then I am still holding it. Same reasoning as stated previously........if that big 8 point is standing broadside @ 20yds I sure as shit don't want to have to be pulling my bow off the side of the tree.

I use a Muddy Outdoors Harness and really like it, another really nice option is Summit.

WillyC27 09-30-2013 10:12 AM

I take my quiver off and hang on a hook

and always nock an arrow also hanging on a hook for the bow to be ready at all times while in the tree

I never hold the bow but it has to be within easy reach while looking at the deer....I try not to take my eyes off the deer while in sight......it's very easy to make too much movement when on stand and the bow movement will alert them very fast

I use a full body harness

uncljohn 09-30-2013 10:27 AM

I remove quiver and hang from tree. Knock an arrow immediately.

Mostly I'll sit w/ bow across my lap, but will hang on a holder if standing or occasionally while sitting.

I use the "free" full body harness that came w/ one of my tree stands.

boat_beginner 09-30-2013 11:09 AM

Keep in mind, make sure it is during legal shooting hours before knocking an arrow. If you have an arrow knocked before legal shooting times, that is illegal.
I like to take the quiver off my bow, because that's how I practice, and to keep the weight of the bow as low as possible. Never know how long you will have to hold it at full draw on a deer.

Contractor 09-30-2013 11:52 AM


Originally Posted by boat_beginner (Post 6048966)
Keep in mind, make sure it is during legal shooting hours before knocking an arrow. If you have an arrow knocked before legal shooting times, that is illegal.


Say what?

:rofl:

boat_beginner 09-30-2013 12:07 PM

It's the same as loading a firearm before legal shooting hours, in some states.
From sun up to sun set are legal shooting hours. If you get to your stand early in the morning and it's still dark, you knock an arrow, that is illegal. It is here anyway.

tprice 09-30-2013 12:53 PM


Originally Posted by WillyC27 (Post 6048795)
I take my quiver off and hang on a hook

and always nock an arrow also hanging on a hook for the bow to be ready at all times while in the tree

I never hold the bow but it has to be within easy reach while looking at the deer....I try not to take my eyes off the deer while in sight......it's very easy to make too much movement when on stand and the bow movement will alert them very fast

I use a full body harness


Me too

I use one of those Ez Hangar(or something like that) that you screw into a tree and it has several pivot points and I can have the bow right where my left hand can slip right into it very easy

STAY ON YOUR TOWS, LOT of movement has to take place that does not have to happen with a gun so soon as you see something you are going to shoot get ready first chance you have, quickly but quietly and with as slow a movement as possible

Also make sure when you shoot to shoot to opposite side of the deer, almost see where you want the arrow to come out. Keep in mind also that this is not a rifle bullet, while I have shot many deer through the shoulders you actually want to be just behind the shoulder to avoid hitting bone if at all possible( I have seen a lot of newbies fall to this when shoot a deer with a bow for the first time)


STAY CALM

When that arrow flies and hit home it is better than SEX:grin::grin::grin:(Admiral is DAMN GOOD TOO:grin::thumbsup:) but NOTHING LIKE IT

incept 09-30-2013 04:30 PM

Welcome to the new cocaine! Bow hunting is sooooooo fun.. Anyways, However you practice with your bow is how you should hunt with it. If ya practice with quiver on, hunt with it on and vice versa... As for holding vs. hanging, I prefer to hold as metioned before, things happen very quick. I will hang though as well depending on the day, visability and how long I'm on the stand for... Makes an aweful long day holding your bow for 6 hours. Just be prepared. I have been caught by critters slipping in when I'm not holding my bow and cannot make a play because of it. As for a harness, please for the sake of you and your kids, get a full body harness that keeps you upright in the event of a fall. Spend the money and make sure you go home alive at the end of the day. The old belts are just plain dangerous.. Get ready for a new kinda rush. Nothing like seeing the whites of their eyes your so close.... It is so awesome even if you don't end up shooting. Some of the things we see in a season are just spectacular. If you have a Go Pro or similar I highly recommend taking it along. Have fun and remember, we like pictures!!!

tamos46 09-30-2013 05:12 PM

Old guy here, I use a crossbow. I can't hold that compound back for to long anymore. My crossbow sits in a tripod on a table inside a tent.

I sit behind the table in a nice comfy chair and when it gets cold I turn the heater on..Fill the freezer every year

WillyC27 09-30-2013 05:20 PM


Originally Posted by boat_beginner (Post 6049126)
It's the same as loading a firearm before legal shooting hours, in some states.
From sun up to sun set are legal shooting hours. If you get to your stand early in the morning and it's still dark, you knock an arrow, that is illegal. It is here anyway.

Different states have different laws....in NH you just can't shoot before 1/2 hr before sunrise and after 1/2 hr after sunset

Never heard of nocking arrows as illegal before shooting hours;?....it may be, just not heard of that

Mako 234 09-30-2013 05:22 PM

1. Take it off and hang it with my bag

2. Yes and yes

3. Can't help here. Never worn one. I know I need to.

Bow hunting is addicting. You will be hooked. It's the only way I deer hunt.

camnbo 09-30-2013 07:41 PM


Originally Posted by boat_beginner (Post 6048966)
Keep in mind, make sure it is during legal shooting hours before knocking an arrow. If you have an arrow knocked before legal shooting times, that is illegal.
I like to take the quiver off my bow, because that's how I practice, and to keep the weight of the bow as low as possible. Never know how long you will have to hold it at full draw on a deer.

Where we hunt is so far away from anything, God will barely know my arrows nocked. I'm planning on taking my quiver off too cuz that's how I practice. Thanks bro!

camnbo 09-30-2013 07:42 PM


Originally Posted by tamos46 (Post 6050007)
Old guy here, I use a crossbow. I can't hold that compound back for to long anymore. My crossbow sits in a tripod on a table inside a tent.

I sit behind the table in a nice comfy chair and when it gets cold I turn the heater on..Fill the freezer every year

Very nice!

camnbo 09-30-2013 07:48 PM


Originally Posted by incept (Post 6049866)
Welcome to the new cocaine! Bow hunting is sooooooo fun.. Anyways, However you practice with your bow is how you should hunt with it. If ya practice with quiver on, hunt with it on and vice versa... As for holding vs. hanging, I prefer to hold as metioned before, things happen very quick. I will hang though as well depending on the day, visability and how long I'm on the stand for... Makes an aweful long day holding your bow for 6 hours. Just be prepared. I have been caught by critters slipping in when I'm not holding my bow and cannot make a play because of it. As for a harness, please for the sake of you and your kids, get a full body harness that keeps you upright in the event of a fall. Spend the money and make sure you go home alive at the end of the day. The old belts are just plain dangerous.. Get ready for a new kinda rush. Nothing like seeing the whites of their eyes your so close.... It is so awesome even if you don't end up shooting. Some of the things we see in a season are just spectacular. If you have a Go Pro or similar I highly recommend taking it along. Have fun and remember, we like pictures!!!

That's why I'm asking. I'm all about being safe. Nothing will ruin you're hunt and life faster than something bad happening. We're gonna be all set. I do have a go pro and I'm gonna try to use it. Thanks.

camnbo 09-30-2013 07:50 PM


Originally Posted by incept (Post 6049866)
Welcome to the new cocaine! Bow hunting is sooooooo fun.. Anyways, However you practice with your bow is how you should hunt with it. If ya practice with quiver on, hunt with it on and vice versa... As for holding vs. hanging, I prefer to hold as metioned before, things happen very quick. I will hang though as well depending on the day, visability and how long I'm on the stand for... Makes an aweful long day holding your bow for 6 hours. Just be prepared. I have been caught by critters slipping in when I'm not holding my bow and cannot make a play because of it. As for a harness, please for the sake of you and your kids, get a full body harness that keeps you upright in the event of a fall. Spend the money and make sure you go home alive at the end of the day. The old belts are just plain dangerous.. Get ready for a new kinda rush. Nothing like seeing the whites of their eyes your so close.... It is so awesome even if you don't end up shooting. Some of the things we see in a season are just spectacular. If you have a Go Pro or similar I highly recommend taking it along. Have fun and remember, we like pictures!!!

One more thing. Are the vests better than the harnesses? I've heard both ways.

incept 09-30-2013 08:50 PM

I think for the most part the harness/vest debate is a matter of personal preference. I'm not plugging for Cabelas or anyone but I use something similar to this in the link and find it user friendly. I think anything like this will work, just depends on how it fits and your budget..

I fell once. It sucked. To busy watching deer and not paying attention. One more thing to remember, you may already know but if not, just remember when shooting out of a stand or elevated position your point of impact will change. The steeper the angle the more drastic the change. Might be worth setting up a stand and firing off a few arrows to see where you need to aim.... Good luck, I'm hoping to see some pictures soon!!!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104639580

irishangler 10-01-2013 04:42 AM

Hang your bow, nock your arrow and strap in. Youre gonna love it.
Every year a number of guys fall out of trees and are paralyzed or killed. Hard to rationalize that to the family. I use a rock climbers harness because they are smaller and lighter. When you are carrying your bow, a pack, climber and all the other stuff a few pounds makes a difference.
Now post up some picks of the hawgs in your area.

tprice 10-01-2013 04:49 AM

Up until last year I have NEVER worn a harness however the older I get the WISER and more cautious I get

I do not use my climber much at all but when I do normally it is bow season and with bow hunting there is a higher chance of falling (IMHO) than with a gun due to the fact you have to position yourself more for a shot

I bought a Hunter Safety System vest and really like it, we also hunt out of a lot of ladder stands and I have got to the point I will even wear it in those due to how easy and unrestrictive it is.

Lot of my gun hunting, in fact most of it, is out of box/condo stands so no need therre


However from what guy with SCDNR told me a few years back the biggest part of tree stand accidents are not WHILE you are in the stand it is going up or down to get in the stand

In fact 2 years ago a guy that I have known for years and he was actually a camera guy for Bill Jordan of Realtree for years fell out of his stand while bowhunting(all he did was bow hunt) and was killed. Mike had been in and out of more deer stands in his life than I have even seen so if it can happen to him it could happen to me.

Sad it takes something like that to open our eyes

In fact one of my best friends is married to Mike's exwife and when that happened he also went out and bought a HSS Vest.

I guess they are lot like a kill switch on a boat or a seatbelt in a car, you hope you never need it but if you do you will not have time to put it on until it is too late


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.