Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

T-boned at stoplight....now what?

Notices

T-boned at stoplight....now what?

Old 07-10-2013, 11:28 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 367
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Work with YOUR insurance agent. That is why you pay them. The other guy's agent is going to try to save as much money as is possible for his firm and may not be totally truthful.

Using your agent will not cost you anything as long as the other guy is at fault.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:33 AM
  #22  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,975
Received 1,574 Likes on 852 Posts
Default

Report it to both insurance companies. The other party's company ought to pay but you can often stack your med pay on top of what they pay, plus if they were carrying low limits and the injuries turn out worse than you are thinking, you may get into your underinsured motorists coverage.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kennett Square, PA and Sea Isle City, NJ
Posts: 832
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Retimlap View Post
Work with YOUR insurance agent. That is why you pay them. The other guy's agent is going to try to save as much money as is possible for his firm and may not be totally truthful.

Using your agent will not cost you anything as long as the other guy is at fault.
Not good advice. OP should be filing a claim with the other party's insurer, not his.

OP- Do not release any claims in return for a quick check. Let things shake out and make sure you or your daughter don't have injuries that you are not currently aware of.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:04 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 606
Likes: 0
Received 123 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

I didn't see this above- don't sign anything that could limit your rights. The other insurance company will almost certainly try to have you signing some documents (through their attorney) stating that you won't sue, can't collect etc. Don't sign anything.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:09 PM
  #25  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South, FL
Posts: 7,490
Received 1,343 Likes on 638 Posts
Default

Report it to your insurance and theirs ASAP!! (If you know their carrier)

Most people who have commented have little or no idea what to do in the event of an accident.

Your insurance will set you up with a rental ASAP if you have coverage.

They will also begin to handle the medical portion as I'm sure there are going to be hospital bills for yourself and your daughter.

I'm an auto adjuster and I hate to say it but your car is going to be a t/l without question. After you settle down and get your claims filed it's going to be time to start looking for a new car.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I have good friends who are adjusters at pretty much all major insurance companies. I'd be happy to pass along their info to you.

If you feel an attorney might help you sort out bills feel free to sit down and have a consultation. As soon at the police report is filed be prepared for attorneys to call you and send you info via mail

Glad you and your daughter are ok!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:17 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 17,560
Likes: 0
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bird of Prey View Post
Not good advice. OP should be filing a claim with the other party's insurer, not his.

OP- Do not release any claims in return for a quick check. Let things shake out and make sure you or your daughter don't have injuries that you are not currently aware of.
That's probably best if it was a minor fender bender but we have an accident with injuries. He may have coverages under his policy that could provide additional med payments that they both could collect. Also med payments do not increase your rates or affect your policy. There also other legal reasons to have your insurance company take statements and collect facts even if they just close down the file. As far as an Aty. I'd give the ins co a chance to make an offer before getting one. As other have said do not sign off any rights until you have been made whole and your daughter is 100%.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:19 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 17,560
Likes: 0
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Leeroyjenkins View Post
Report it to your insurance and theirs ASAP!! (If you know their carrier)

Most people who have commented have little or no idea what to do in the event of an accident.

Your insurance will set you up with a rental ASAP if you have coverage.

They will also begin to handle the medical portion as I'm sure there are going to be hospital bills for yourself and your daughter.

I'm an auto adjuster and I hate to say it but your car is going to be a t/l without question. After you settle down and get your claims filed it's going to be time to start looking for a new car.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I have good friends who are adjusters at pretty much all major insurance companies. I'd be happy to pass along their info to you.

If you feel an attorney might help you sort out bills feel free to sit down and have a consultation. As soon at the police report is filed be prepared for attorneys to call you and send you info via mail

Glad you and your daughter are ok!
They will only if you have the coverage.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 PM
  #28  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 11,325
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,382 Posts
Default

do not talk to any lawyers or your insurance company if you are contacted
Old 07-10-2013, 01:35 PM
  #29  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South, FL
Posts: 7,490
Received 1,343 Likes on 638 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fishingfun View Post
They will only if you have the coverage.
Well considering NC is a UMPD state there is coverage if the other party does not have insurance. The OP may have PIP or Medpay depending on how his policy was written.

I can promise you that the language in his policy states all accidents must be reported to his own carrier regardless of assumption of fault.....

-----------

Bottom line is report it to your insurance company and let them do their jobs. If you have to pay a deductible while it gets sorted out....so be it, your car will be replaced and bills will be paid for. Let the insurance company do it's job. The people who complain about insurance either have a deductible they can't afford or knew someone, who had a neighbor that may or may not have gotten "screwed" by an insurance company 15 years or so ago....

Again OP I'd be happy to give you a hand, I'm in the business and I handle this all day everyday
Old 07-10-2013, 01:42 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 637
Likes: 0
Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

I'd make sure you got a copy of the video from the police car now.

Was the other person insured?
Old 07-10-2013, 01:49 PM
  #31  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Beaufort NC
Posts: 1,005
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Not so quick on the attorney. If you do, negotoate what they get 30% too much in a case like this, look for 15%.

And depending on who hit you, low insurance limits and no assets. keep in mind if that is the case, yoiu insurance will repond unde UM/UIM limits which should be the same as you Liab limits (if your agent did a good job)

PM if you want to talk.

russell
Old 07-10-2013, 01:49 PM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, NC
Posts: 1,581
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

There is no need to call your insurance company. You are not at fault and they will not be paying anything on your behalf.

There is no need to call an attorney, yet. When I was an insurance adjuster, most of the time that somebody got an attorney, they just lost a third of their settlement for no reason. Unless you think you need to sue somebody or their insurance company is being difficult, you don't need an attorney.

In NC, when a minor is involved, a judge has to approve the settlement and any excess above the medical expenses goes into a trust. This keeps the parents from spending the money.

Keep track of all expenses. This includes time off work, prescriptions, all doctor visits. If you are sore, take the day off. If your soreness goes away, go see a doctor. If you need physical therapy, go see a physical therapist. Don't bother with a chiropractor unless your doctor prescribes it, as chiro bills are a big red flag when it comes to a pain and suffering bill.

PM me if you want.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:52 PM
  #33  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kitty hawk,nc.
Posts: 4,352
Received 712 Likes on 362 Posts
Default

Don't accept a settlement till things a settled, but first-----


Go to your CHURCH and thank GOD that it wasn't worse than it was.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:02 PM
  #34  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pompano Beach/Williston, FL
Posts: 12,953
Received 2,962 Likes on 1,409 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Leeroyjenkins View Post
Report it to your insurance and theirs ASAP!! (If you know their carrier) Of course he'll know the carrier, it's in the police report! Only make the claim with the other carrier, you can always bring your ins. co. later
Most people who have commented have little or no idea what to do in the event of an accident. Like you, apparently.

Your insurance will set you up with a rental ASAP if you have coverage. So will the other insurance carrier!
They will also begin to handle the medical portion as I'm sure there are going to be hospital bills for yourself and your daughter. So will the other insurance company!
I'm an auto adjuster and I hate to say it but your car is going to be a t/l without question. After you settle down and get your claims filed it's going to be time to start looking for a new car. You're on the side of the insurance company, not the insured.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I have good friends who are adjusters at pretty much all major insurance companies. I'd be happy to pass along their info to you.

If you feel an attorney might help you sort out bills feel free to sit down and have a consultation. They'll drool over their 30%-40%, you don't need them now. As soon at the police report is filed be prepared for attorneys to call you and send you info via mail

Glad you and your daughter are ok!
FIFY

I have been there and done that............without paying deductibles or attorney's fees, and got everything I wanted from the other guy's carrier. My insurance agent (of 20 years) knew what was going on, and recommended this path!
Old 07-10-2013, 02:04 PM
  #35  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 19,113
Received 1,379 Likes on 793 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fatherof4 View Post
I'm in the insurance business. I agree with some of the others that no lawyer needed at this time. Give them a chance to make it right, and if not, you can always go talk to an attorney. No need to give them 33% until necessary. Car is obviously totalled. If you have a lien, go ahead and call your bank and get the payoff, then look on Kelly Blue Book or NADA for a value, including options, mileage, etc. As far as the medical part, wait a while. Make sure your daughters arm will heal with no problems, then add up all medical bills, any lost time from work, and figure out what you feel like your and your daughters, pain and suffering is worth. Hard to figure, but, seeing as she is a minor, in most states even if you sign a release for her, its not valid until she reaches the age of majority. Just take your time.
Great advice

Let me add this though, DO NOT SIGN A MEDICAL RELEASE UNTIL YOU HAVE SETTLED ON YOUR CAR

Also your own insurance may have a med pay that you can collect from them, you can get that in SC, so contact them as well. Might get couple hundred $$$ from them since you both went to hospital
Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 367
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Bird of Prey View Post
Not good advice. OP should be filing a claim with the other party's insurer, not his.

OP- Do not release any claims in return for a quick check. Let things shake out and make sure you or your daughter don't have injuries that you are not currently aware of.
I didn't say file with his own insurance. I said work with his insurance. Let them be the ones that "fight" with the other insurance company.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:29 PM
  #37  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,975
Received 1,574 Likes on 852 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jpcanning View Post
Don't accept a settlement till things a settled, but first-----

You can accept a check for the car as long as the release states that it is for property damage only.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:32 PM
  #38  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South, FL
Posts: 7,490
Received 1,343 Likes on 638 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jus Teasin View Post
FIFY

I have been there and done that............without paying deductibles or attorney's fees, and got everything I wanted from the other guy's carrier. My insurance agent (of 20 years) knew what was going on, and recommended this path!

Your ignorance on the topic is obvious. Your insuance company works for you. We bend over backwards for our customers. Not everyone has an agent and the agent does not work for the insurance company. I have helped dozens of THTers with insurance issues in the past so please don't insult me or my profession. I'm only stating facts as someone who does this for a living. Please tell me what you do so I can make uneducated statements directed towards your working knowledge.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:51 PM
  #39  
kln
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,973
Received 158 Likes on 101 Posts
Default

Thanks for weighing in on the subject everyone this is new territory for me. I notified my insurance provider of the incident and injuries first. Now I am waiting on the police report to get the other drivers info. I'm going to get my personal stuff out of the car tommorow. I'm completely amazed at the strength of this little girl! And damn I'm sore.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:15 PM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 17,560
Likes: 0
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JRS@OBX View Post
There is no need to call your insurance company. You are not at fault and they will not be paying anything on your behalf.

There is no need to call an attorney, yet. When I was an insurance adjuster, most of the time that somebody got an attorney, they just lost a third of their settlement for no reason. Unless you think you need to sue somebody or their insurance company is being difficult, you don't need an attorney.

In NC, when a minor is involved, a judge has to approve the settlement and any excess above the medical expenses goes into a trust. This keeps the parents from spending the money.

Keep track of all expenses. This includes time off work, prescriptions, all doctor visits. If you are sore, take the day off. If your soreness goes away, go see a doctor. If you need physical therapy, go see a physical therapist. Don't bother with a chiropractor unless your doctor prescribes it, as chiro bills are a big red flag when it comes to a pain and suffering bill.

PM me if you want.
That's just not good advise. By his contract he has to report the claim and we are not talking a little fender bender. Most of the other info is good advise.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.