Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Coleman 58-Quart Ultimate Extreme Marine Cooler Review

Notices

Coleman 58-Quart Ultimate Extreme Marine Cooler Review

Old 07-09-2013, 07:35 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Beach, Indiana
Posts: 2,258
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Coleman 58-Quart Ultimate Extreme Marine Cooler Review

These are the real deal, the ones with stainless hinges and a spring to keep the lid open.

Just spent a 4 day boat trip on Southeast Lake Michigan with a pair of these. Filled each cold drinks, food, and 21 lbs of ice on Thursday morning.

After 4 solid days of use in 80+ degrees with no shade, everything in both coolers was ice cold and both coolers still had ice in them. I only drained water out of each of them twice.

Highly recommended, good construction quality, and looks great on your boat. A fraction of the cost of those "high end" coolers.

Got 'em from Amazon,
Amazon Amazon
Attached Images   

Last edited by pfithian; 07-09-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:12 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 1,878
Received 449 Likes on 219 Posts
Default

Thanks for the review, I needed a new quality mid-size chest.

But, I found at walmart online for a lot less, free shipping and whats with Amazons "ships in 1-2 months"? Mines already en route for Monday delivery

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-58...ooler/23787584
Old 07-11-2013, 01:19 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Charlotte Harbor FL
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the review. Was looking at these last month
Old 07-11-2013, 03:10 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Beach, Indiana
Posts: 2,258
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AquaWhaler View Post
Thanks for the review, I needed a new quality mid-size chest.

But, I found at walmart online for a lot less, free shipping and whats with Amazons "ships in 1-2 months"? Mines already en route for Monday delivery

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-58...ooler/23787584
That's not the same cooler. The one I listed that says Ultimate, has stainless hinges/sping lid support/interior tray and divider/6 day ice rating.

But the one you listed may also be a great cooler, post a review. The one I listed may no longer be in production.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:35 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 539
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

I can second this. I have one and it really does hold ice very well.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:36 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mobile
Posts: 1,941
Received 279 Likes on 176 Posts
Default

I'm sure Coleman has come a long way in 28 years but all I can think about are the handles ripping off the brand new one I loaded with fish.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:24 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Coconut Grove, FL
Posts: 866
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pfithian View Post
That's not the same cooler. The one I listed that says Ultimate, has stainless hinges/sping lid support/interior tray and divider/6 day ice rating.

But the one you listed may also be a great cooler, post a review. The one I listed may no longer be in production.
It sure looks the same from the pix on the Walmart site:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-58...337750&veh=cse
Old 07-11-2013, 05:45 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 1,878
Received 449 Likes on 219 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pfithian View Post
That's not the same cooler. The one I listed that says Ultimate, has stainless hinges/sping lid support/interior tray and divider/6 day ice rating.

But the one you listed may also be a great cooler, post a review. The one I listed may no longer be in production.
Same Coleman model number in both ads: 6273A799.
Unless Coleman has 2 different coolers with the same model #?

What is odd is that I paid $66.41, including 6% tax, for my 6273A799 - Maybe Walmart bumps up the price when demand goes up? Capitalism at its finest....
Old 07-11-2013, 06:01 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Palm Beach
Posts: 1,545
Received 78 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

I have one that I use as a bait cooler and it holds ice really well. Usually 3-4 days as stated will still have ice in the bottom... However the handles are crappy and eventually they will break off if you load that cooler up and use it a lot! I would still buy another for the price for sure, Ill just have to modify the handles...
Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I believe the walmart version has plastic hinges. I have the stainless hinge version directly from coleman.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:33 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Daytona, Fl
Posts: 1,081
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

I have had mine for a year it's the bigger one but looks the same seems to keep cold all day
Old 07-12-2013, 05:40 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 3,241
Likes: 0
Received 186 Likes on 94 Posts
Default

I have the Walmart version with pad in my boat. It replaced an Igloo. My usage is generally weekends so I didn't need an expensive cooler. The Coleman Extreme has been outstanding so far this summer. Just subjective, but I estimate it holds ice twice as long as the Igloo did. Mine never gets lifted so handles are not a big concern. If the hinges go I will try and find the stainless replacements.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 1,878
Received 449 Likes on 219 Posts
Default

My cooler arrived and it is indeed the Ultimate Extreme - stainless hinges, stainless lid support springs, over sized handles. Very strong lid for seating or as a casting platform, very thick insulation all around. Impressive for the money.

Whats weird is that Walamrt now has this online for $75...which is more than they have the 70 quart Ultimate Extreme going for. Get while they last, Coleman is out of both sizes.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:35 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 241
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Can someone take measurements on the bottom or measure your mounted hold downs that if fits in. In need to replace my old coleman but do not want to relocate the hold downs. Most of the online measurements are at the widest points.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2013, 09:00 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 9,661
Received 4,200 Likes on 1,898 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AquaWhaler View Post
My cooler arrived and it is indeed the Ultimate Extreme - stainless hinges, stainless lid support springs, over sized handles. Very strong lid for seating or as a casting platform, very thick insulation all around. Impressive for the money.

Whats weird is that Walamrt now has this online for $75...which is more than they have the 70 quart Ultimate Extreme going for. Get while they last, Coleman is out of both sizes.
I clicked on your link and it is kind of weird, Walmart shows bigger ones, "70 quart marine" with prices all over the place.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:35 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 1,878
Received 449 Likes on 219 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rotaryjohn View Post
Can someone take measurements on the bottom or measure your mounted hold downs that if fits in. In need to replace my old coleman but do not want to relocate the hold downs. Most of the online measurements are at the widest points.

Thanks
27 3/4 x 13 5/8" on the slight curvature of the bottom corners.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:48 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 1,878
Received 449 Likes on 219 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by richinct View Post
I clicked on your link and it is kind of weird, Walmart shows bigger ones, "70 quart marine" with prices all over the place.
Three different "marine" (i.e. white) range of models

Marine (plastic hinges, small side handles, non-seating lid)

Marine Extreme (extra insulation, plastic hinges, small side handles, lid supports 250lbs)

Marine Ultimate Extreme (extra insulation,SS hinges,SS spring lip strap, large side handles, lid supports 250 lbs, bungee tie down points for the lid,pre drilled with knock-out tabs)

None of the coolers have an external latch to secure the lid, which is a drawback but easily remedied.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:54 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 9,661
Received 4,200 Likes on 1,898 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AquaWhaler View Post
Three different "marine" (i.e. white) range of models

Marine (plastic hinges, small side handles, non-seating lid)

Marine Extreme (extra insulation, plastic hinges, small side handles, lid supports 250lbs)

Marine Ultimate Extreme (extra insulation,SS hinges,SS spring lip strap, large side handles, lid supports 250 lbs, bungee tie down points for the lid,pre drilled with knock-out tabs)

None of the coolers have an external latch to secure the lid, which is a drawback but easily remedied.
Gotcha...I didn't read the specs on the different models, just saw the pics at the top of the page
Old 07-15-2013, 04:41 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ghana West Africa
Posts: 2,626
Received 142 Likes on 82 Posts
Default

Hey pfithian like ur tolman, u got anymore pics
Old 08-10-2013, 07:41 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 377
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

I can personally vouch for the quality of that cooler! I used several of them for roadside retail shrimp business for several years in East Central Florida. I cannot even remember how many coolers I went through back then. The only ones that held up were the Coleman's. Back then (2007) the "Ultimate Extreme Marine" DID NOT have stainless hinges. I installed Perko hinges on all of my coolers back then. It is nice to see that they are not "cheaping out" on the hinges anymore. The only real design flaws with these particular coolers are the lid will eventually leak water into the cooler if left out in the rain and the drain spout will eventually rot and break away.

I have one that has been outside in my boat since 2007 and it still looks and operates like new (besides the drain spout).

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.