Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Botched Paramilitary Police Raids

Notices

Botched Paramilitary Police Raids

Old 07-08-2013, 09:30 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
atcfris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,979
Likes: 0
Received 585 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Botched Paramilitary Police Raids

This was forwarded to me in an E mail. Not bashing or taking any position/opinion with regards to LEO, just thought this was interesting.

http://www.cato.org/raidmap
Old 07-08-2013, 10:29 AM
  #2  
V13
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saint Petersburg
Posts: 2,034
Received 212 Likes on 102 Posts
Default

Clearly, you're not very patriotic. These actions protect us from crime.

I'm sure even the innocent ones did something illegal at some point. Just because they weren't caught at that time doesn't mean they don't deserve to be punished.

Just bumps in the road...
Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 22,387
Received 4,476 Likes on 1,803 Posts
Default

I looked at the only one that appears to be in my jurisdiction. From the comments I would like to know who determines what is valid and what is not?




State: FL

Description: Police raided the home of Willie Davis Sr. Officers handcuffed Davis and his 19 year old mentally disabled nephew. They were looking for drugs but found nothing illegal. While the home had been the site of previous drug raids, Davis Sr.'s relative, Chinnetta Davis, told police that "no one sold drugs inside her family's home on March 12" and that 'they came here and they made a mistake." Police say the raid is under investigation and that if the officers did anything wrong, they would be held accountable. Source Bridget Murphy "DreShawna's family angry about drug raid; The girl's family denies that any of them sold crack to an undercover officer. " The Times-Union, March 23, 2007.

Date: Mar 23, 2007

From the noted comments above "no one sold drugs inside her families home on March 12" her comment was not that no one sells drugs here just that drugs were not sold on March 12. Hmmm.. to be honest sounds like a legit warrant to me, they just did not have any dope that day...but who knows...
Old 07-08-2013, 11:29 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
atcfris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,979
Likes: 0
Received 585 Likes on 230 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by V13 View Post
Clearly, you're not very patriotic.
Slow down V13, I did not post this thread taking a position or opinion on LEO. This was forwarded to me in an E mail and I found it to be an interesting read, nothing more, nothing less. I also appreciate our fellow LEO's like Cracker and Harley's opinions on this stuff as they are educating and offer viewpoints and information that might otherwise not be known or considered by the general public.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
bsmit24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tejas or Bust
Posts: 17,724
Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by atcfris View Post
Slow down V13, I did not post this thread taking a position or opinion on LEO.
I may be incorrect but I read that post with a heavy dose of sarcasm.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:35 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
atcfris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,979
Likes: 0
Received 585 Likes on 230 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bsmit24 View Post
I may be incorrect but I read that post with a heavy dose of sarcasm.
Nope, not at all.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:39 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,745
Received 853 Likes on 410 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bsmit24 View Post
I may be incorrect but I read that post with a heavy dose of sarcasm.
as did I
Old 07-08-2013, 11:41 AM
  #8  
V13
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saint Petersburg
Posts: 2,034
Received 212 Likes on 102 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bsmit24 View Post
I may be incorrect but I read that post with a heavy dose of sarcasm.
You would be correct. 75 megatons of sarcasm.

Shoulda gone with sarcasm font.

I thought my comment was "over the top" enough to be obvious, but thinking over some past threads, I guess my comments could have been taken as serious.

And possibly popular.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dead Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: OIB
Posts: 4,832
Received 642 Likes on 306 Posts
Default

i didn read any of it - i didn click on the link - im just passing thru-- carry on

post whore at work--
Old 07-08-2013, 11:43 AM
  #10  
KJS
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Where I go, there I am
Posts: 16,862
Received 962 Likes on 516 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bsmit24 View Post
I may be incorrect but I read that post with a heavy dose of sarcasm.
Same here.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:46 AM
  #11  
KJS
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Where I go, there I am
Posts: 16,862
Received 962 Likes on 516 Posts
Default

Here is one close to where I live. Poor Estelle.

Title: Estelle Newcomb

Type: Raid on an innocent suspect.

State: VA

Description: In October 2001, 50-year old Estelle Newcomb hears her dog barking. She looks out the window to investigate, and seeks a Middlesex, Virginia drug task force storming toward her home. The officers break down her door, force her to her knees, and train their guns on Newcomb and her 80-year-old aunt. Police soon realize they've targeted the wrong home. They had miscommunicated with an informant. The investigating officer tells the Associated Press, "I knew this was not right. To be honest with you, it was sloppy police work - not being thorough enough." The previous July, the same task force, along with the National Guard and state police, conducted a raid on a suspect they thought was growing marijuana. Those plants turned out to be tomatoes. Sources: "Drug bust targets wrong house," Associated Press, October 30, 2001.

Date: Oct 26, 2001

And the Tomato plant raid!

Title: Glen Coberly

Type: Raid on an innocent suspect.

State: VA

Description: Police descend on Coberly's Middlesex, Virginia home and order the 39-year-old man to the ground at gunpoint. The Middle Peninsula Drug Task Force, state police, and the National Guard had been running a helicopter in the area to look for marijuana plants. Coberly is picked up from the ground and one officer begins to read him his Miranda rights. At about that time, another officer discovers that Coberly's plants aren't marijuana, but tomatoes. Sheriff Guy Abbott would later explain that, "We're just trying to do our best to protect our citizens. And we're not perfect; we make mistakes." Source: "Drug cops swoop down on tomato patch," Associated Press, July 20, 2001.

Date: Jul 18, 2001
Old 07-08-2013, 11:58 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 22,387
Received 4,476 Likes on 1,803 Posts
Default

I hear those tomato plants are bad stuff
Old 07-08-2013, 12:02 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Puerto Pensaco Mexico, just south of Rock Point
Posts: 11,530
Likes: 0
Received 266 Likes on 139 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by V13 View Post
Clearly, you're not very patriotic. These actions protect us from crime.

I'm sure even the innocent ones did something illegal at some point. Just because they weren't caught at that time doesn't mean they don't deserve to be punished.

Just bumps in the road...
BWAAAAAAAAAAAA like Paula Dean ,,,,Any politician or actor should be fired if they have used the word ****** in the past.

That would cure a lot!
Old 07-08-2013, 12:22 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
atcfris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,979
Likes: 0
Received 585 Likes on 230 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bsmit24 View Post
I may be incorrect but I read that post with a heavy dose of sarcasm.
OMG, I just got it, you meant V13's post was sarcastic, not my reply. I interpreted that all wrong, that's why I said "nope, not at all," saying I was not being sarcastic. I did not read V13's post as sarcasm, but now I clearly see it. My bad gents, hadn't had my morning coffee yet LOL.

Dead Horse, did you call me a post whore?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 11,401
Received 2,535 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dead Horse View Post
i didn read any of it - i didn click on the link - im just passing thru-- carry on

post whore at work--
The whore'n is working Almost 2000 posts
Old 07-08-2013, 12:27 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 11,401
Received 2,535 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by atcfris View Post
OMG, I just got it, you meant V13's post was sarcastic, not my reply. I interpreted that all wrong, that's why I said "nope, not at all," saying I was not being sarcastic. I did not read V13's post as sarcasm, but now I clearly see it. My bad gents, hadn't had my morning coffee yet LOL.

Dead Horse, did you call me a post whore?
No. He's just up'n his post count. I hope his 2000th post is also a page topper.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:39 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Cape Cod, Mass
Posts: 4,862
Received 546 Likes on 263 Posts
Default

I served on our regional SWAT team for three years. I left eventually because I didn't want to be a part of a botched warrant such as above. The role never suited me as I felt a lot of the times we were deployed when it really wasn't neccessary. IMHO, 10% of the call-outs required SWAT, the other 90%....well....
Old 07-08-2013, 12:48 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
bsmit24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tejas or Bust
Posts: 17,724
Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
I served on our regional SWAT team for three years. I left eventually because I didn't want to be a part of a botched warrant such as above. The role never suited me as I felt a lot of the times we were deployed when it really wasn't neccessary. IMHO, 10% of the call-outs required SWAT, the other 90%....well....
A friend/coworker and retired LEO feels likewise. He swears that his team wore mask to prevent their identification in court after botched raids/incorrect addresses. And on the other end of the spectrum one of my clients joined the local sheriffs office specifically to do drug raids, he is an adrenaline junkie and does it for the rush.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:30 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 22,387
Received 4,476 Likes on 1,803 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
I served on our regional SWAT team for three years. I left eventually because I didn't want to be a part of a botched warrant such as above. The role never suited me as I felt a lot of the times we were deployed when it really wasn't neccessary. IMHO, 10% of the call-outs required SWAT, the other 90%....well....
I agree there is a lot of stuff in patrol our supervisors immediately call SWAT for that really aren't needed. I just wish I got 5 percent of the on duty time they do to practice firearms training. Twice a year is woefully inadequate.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:33 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Cape Cod, Mass
Posts: 4,862
Received 546 Likes on 263 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
I agree there is a lot of stuff in patrol our supervisors immediately call SWAT for that really aren't needed. I just wish I got 5 percent of the on duty time they do to practice firearms training. Twice a year is woefully inadequate.
Yeah, I could write lots more but I think I've made my point, while venting is good for the soul sometimes, I should keep my mouth shut here on this topic. Lots of guys parading around who never served in the military for one thing acting like they're Navy SEALs...anyways I'm done.

Last edited by Hooper; 07-08-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.