Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Another concealed carry question

Notices

Another concealed carry question

Old 05-24-2013, 10:51 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another concealed carry question

I saw from the poll what most people carry but here's my question. Do you carry with one chambered and safety on or just a full clip? Obviously in a bad situation it's quicker to have one chambered but every day is it safer to just have a full clip? BTW I have an LC9 and have not had my concealed permit long.
Thanks for the insight.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:55 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
atcfris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,979
Likes: 0
Received 585 Likes on 230 Posts
Default

1911 platform, it's chambered and cocked, safety on.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:57 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lower Florida Keys
Posts: 3,131
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Full mag, one in the pipe.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:03 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SE FL
Posts: 3,993
Likes: 0
Received 48 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

I have an LC9 and used to use it as my daily carry weapon. It was carried with one in the chamber and the safety on. and just as a habit, I flicked the safety off every time I took the gun from my pocket, just to get in the habit of doing so in the evnt I ever need it, it is a reflex to take the safety off.

with that gun there is no need to worry about carrying it with one in the chamber. besides the safety, the gun is double action and has the longest trigger pull of any handgun I have ever fired. there is no way that you will be pulling the trigger on that gun accidentally.

Personally, I think it is useless to carry without the gun having a round in the chamber. In the event it is needed, you will most likely not have the opportunity to rack the slide. Things can go bad very quickly and that delay maybe the difference between life and death

I now carry an XDS in .45 and the gun is striker fired with no manual safety. if the gun is gripped properly and the trigger pulled, it will fire. I have it in a pocket holster and carry it with one in the chamber. And, again, I have complete confidence that the gun will not go off accidentally
Old 05-24-2013, 11:07 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 12,394
Received 1,709 Likes on 955 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sw1508 View Post
I saw from the poll what most people carry but here's my question. Do you carry with one chambered and safety on or just a full clip? Obviously in a bad situation it's quicker to have one chambered but every day is it safer to just have a full clip? BTW I have an LC9 and have not had my concealed permit long.
Thanks for the insight.
The LC9 has an insanely long trigger pull. I'd carry it with a round chambered and the safety off.

For sa/da guns, one in the chamber and decocked (making it da for 1st shot).

For sa guns like a 1911, cocked & locked. SA guns are the ONLY ones where I'd use a manual safety.

ps It's a magazine, not a clip.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:49 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Marlin009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast FL
Posts: 15,560
Received 2,117 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by makosteve66 View Post
I have an LC9 and used to use it as my daily carry weapon. It was carried with one in the chamber and the safety on. and just as a habit, I flicked the safety off every time I took the gun from my pocket, just to get in the habit of doing so in the evnt I ever need it, it is a reflex to take the safety off.

with that gun there is no need to worry about carrying it with one in the chamber. besides the safety, the gun is double action and has the longest trigger pull of any handgun I have ever fired. there is no way that you will be pulling the trigger on that gun accidentally.

Personally, I think it is useless to carry without the gun having a round in the chamber. In the event it is needed, you will most likely not have the opportunity to rack the slide. Things can go bad very quickly and that delay maybe the difference between life and death

I now carry an XDS in .45 and the gun is striker fired with no manual safety. if the gun is gripped properly and the trigger pulled, it will fire. I have it in a pocket holster and carry it with one in the chamber. And, again, I have complete confidence that the gun will not go off accidentally
This. ^^^
Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 3,769
Likes: 0
Received 703 Likes on 427 Posts
Default

I had to "build" up to having a round in the pipe. For the first month or so I carried with the mag only without one loaded. After a month or so I felt more comfortable carrying a CW. I graduated to having it loaded but cautious about pulling it from my holster. I unload it occassionally and practice drawing. Got to get a better holster as it sometimes comes out with my weapon.

Last edited by round2it; 05-24-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:04 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West of my Right mind...
Posts: 4,356
Likes: 0
Received 588 Likes on 344 Posts
Default

Ready to go, or it's just a paper weight.....
Old 05-24-2013, 01:11 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 12,394
Received 1,709 Likes on 955 Posts
Default

I think that both ideas (loaded chamber vs 'working up to it') and coexist. Maybe people feel weird at first, so they carry with an empty chamber (knowing it's not good for much) with the intention of eventually carrying properly.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:59 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 22,385
Received 4,469 Likes on 1,800 Posts
Default

Glock (trigger safety, which is always engaged) always carried with one in the pipe ready. Any MODERN handgun I carry is safe to keep one in the pipe, all have a block or are striker fired which require the trigger be pulled to fire the weapon,
Old 05-24-2013, 02:17 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Right Coast of Florida/E.Tennessee
Posts: 6,757
Received 1,472 Likes on 887 Posts
Default

Good lessons stay with you. I learned early on (from Dad, a LEO) if you take the responsibility to carry be responsible for how. That was over 40 yrs ago.

If your safety comes into question... then the time frame to evaluate is likely to be 3 seconds, your bad guy will be 3 yards away, and three shots should end the threat.

Practice that at the range. If you can do that without one in the pipe your not just good, your great.... 'cause remember, your gonna be shakin' and in a bad situation.

I'm good with one in the pipe... not a pipe dream.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:18 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 12,830
Received 3,015 Likes on 1,395 Posts
Default

as others have said, if there one isn't chambered and ready to go, you might as well just be carrying a paperweight.

and this...
Old 05-24-2013, 02:22 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 521
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Springfield XD W/no manual safety. Always one in the pipe! Reason is, if I need it I want to shoot it not throw it at somebody.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:28 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richmond & Va Beach
Posts: 1,460
Received 128 Likes on 69 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sw1508 View Post
I saw from the poll what most people carry but here's my question. Do you carry with one chambered and safety on or just a full clip? Obviously in a bad situation it's quicker to have one chambered but every day is it safer to just have a full clip? BTW I have an LC9 and have not had my concealed permit long.
Thanks for the insight.
A poll has little to do with you. If you choose to carry, you need to carry according to your situation, not some bullshit popularity contest.

Analyze your carry situation, and train for it.

Last edited by Captain Crispy; 05-24-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:47 PM
  #15  
THT Sponsor Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 1,922
Likes: 0
Received 123 Likes on 51 Posts
Default

It took me about a month to work up to it as well, but now I carry with a round chambered at all times in an XDs. I was nervous at first until I realized it was completely unfounded and there's really no way the gun could fire when in the holster since it has both a grip safety and USA trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Old 05-24-2013, 02:49 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Athens, GA/ Pine Harbor, Ga
Posts: 3,745
Received 174 Likes on 94 Posts
Default

Revolver. Pull, point, and shoot
Old 05-24-2013, 03:05 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,134
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

I prefer chambered and strongly agree with the above discussion about the LC9. Manual safety plus long trigger pull makes it very safe.

You need to practice taking the safety off. If you are going to carry unchambered then you have to practice cocking under pressure.

IMO, I would practice the safety as you are in a ready position with less chance of an error than cocking under pressure.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:06 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 5,077
Likes: 0
Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts
Default

My revolver rides on an empty chamber, my semi has one in the pipe.
Both are point and squeeze.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:24 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Captain Crispy View Post
A poll has little to do with you. If you choose to carry, you need to carry according to your situation, not some bullshit popularity contest.

Analyze your carry situation, and train for it.
The poll I was referring to was regarding the type of gun people chose to carry, if you read my post you'd see that decision was already made, so the "popularity contest" does have little to do with me. Thanks anyway....
Old 05-24-2013, 06:30 PM
  #20  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SirFer View Post
It took me about a month to work up to it as well, but now I carry with a round chambered at all times in an XDs. I was nervous at first until I realized it was completely unfounded and there's really no way the gun could fire when in the holster since it has both a grip safety and USA trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
SirF, thanks for responding, this is exactly where I'm at currently, I'm sure I'll follow everyone's advice with time and practice! I'm getting more comfortable every day.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.