The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   Louisiana (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/507506-louisiana.html)

rit.05 05-13-2013 06:56 PM

Louisiana
 
Potential job paying good money, good retirement prospects.

Only downside is long days away from family, but I do that on occasion already and this will not be for extended periods.

Need to live within a few hours of Hammond area of Louisiana.

What is the closest place with good schools, some culture, and fishing?

I was looking at Gulf Shores or Biloxi to the east. Beaumont or Lake Charles to the west. I know nothing about any of these areas except that I met some really beautiful girls from Lake Charles once...

cgrand 05-13-2013 06:59 PM

what's the closest place to Hammond with fishing and culture? Hammond...
what's the closest place to Hammond with good schools? Texas...

PS I would invest in a map
You ain't gonna be commuting from Beaumont or gulf shores to hammond

bsmit24 05-13-2013 07:01 PM

Have you look at Mandeville or Madisonville?

wdkerek 05-13-2013 07:05 PM

cgrand is right......good schools are relative.......some of the best in the area you are looking at are Ascension parish and Livingston Parish......

But Louisiana schools still have a ways to go to be "good" compared to the best in the country.

I like the rural areas I find there are better values for your kids.

A Few Dollars 05-13-2013 07:06 PM

Mandeville/Covington area

rit.05 05-13-2013 07:15 PM

I would invest in a map, but why bother when you have gps?

Actually, the schedule will be 7/7 or 14/14 and I would commute in on the first day, out on the last.

The other cities listed seem feasible.

burro237 05-13-2013 07:38 PM

+1 Mandeville/ Madisonville. I grew up in South Louisiana and I have family there in Madisonville, beautiful small town without being too far from the city

Shiphascomein 05-13-2013 07:40 PM


Originally Posted by rit.05 (Post 5640147)
I would invest in a map, but why bother when you have gps?

Actually, the schedule will be 7/7 or 14/14 and I would commute in on the first day, out on the last.

The other cities listed seem feasible.

Mandeville/Covington/Madisonville/Slidell. Public schools are probably the best in the state and plenty of private school options. Cost of living is pretty good and it is very safe. Plenty of culture nearby in Nola and fishing is all around. Only a few hours to orange beach for a weekend vacation.

rit.05 05-13-2013 07:49 PM


Originally Posted by Shiphascomein (Post 5640223)
Mandeville/Covington/Madisonville/Slidell. Public schools are probably the best in the state and plenty of private school options. Cost of living is pretty good and it is very safe. Plenty of culture nearby in Nola and fishing is all around. Only a few hours to orange beach for a weekend vacation.


Any private (prep) school recommendations?

floridacrakr 05-13-2013 07:53 PM

Best fishing? Venice

Gunner's Daughter 05-13-2013 08:04 PM

Mandeville or Covington public schools are good. Water is warm and the beer is cold. Come on down.

Back-in-Black 05-13-2013 08:04 PM

Central is a break-away city. Is really the burbs to NE of BR. Broke away from Baton Rouge ~5-7 years ago to start own independant school system. Consistantly in top 3 public school systems in the state. Suprisingly, about the 14th largest city by population in LA. ~40 miles from Hammond. Lots of private schools in BR too. Just an FYI for somewhere very close with schools everyone is trying to get into.

Culture? it's a whole 'nother world down here cher!

Fishing? Saltwater or fresh? As close a a few miles for fresh, 120+ salt. Some of the best fishing on the planet!

CLang 05-14-2013 03:16 AM

Why would you want to waste a day commuting on your "off hitch". Takes a 7/7 down to 8/6. Live around Hammond, a lot of these guys have given you great options on living. You could come live in Lafayette, experience some of the BEST food the South has to offer. Plenty of places to live......oh, and we're only 45 miles from salt water

davedowneast 05-14-2013 04:38 AM

"Culture", all I can think of is:

Duck Dynasty

Cajun Pawn

Swamp People :o :grin:

Don't get me wrong, those are 3 reasons I'd live there, along with arguably the best inshore fishing in the country.

CLang 05-14-2013 04:54 AM


Originally Posted by davedowneast (Post 5640641)
"Culture", all I can think of is:

Duck Dynasty

Cajun Pawn

Swamp People :o :grin:

Don't get me wrong, those are 3 reasons I'd live there, along with arguably the best inshore fishing in the country.

Everybody keep thinking that that is what it's like down here. I've got no problems with that. Poke fun at us and stay where ya at! :thumbsup:

twentynine 05-14-2013 05:56 AM

Ascension or Livingston parishes.

Back-in-Black 05-14-2013 06:00 AM


Originally Posted by twentynine (Post 5640823)
Ascension or Livingston parishes.


Ahhhhh, Livingston Parish.

What do tornados and divorces in Livingston Parish have in common?

Either way, someone is going to lose a perfectly good mobile home.:grin:

Shiphascomein 05-14-2013 06:02 AM


Originally Posted by rit.05 (Post 5640249)
Any private (prep) school recommendations?

Plenty of choices. What grades are you looking for?

http://www.edline.net/pages/StPaulsSchool

http://ssacad.com/

http://hannanhigh.org

http://www.cedarwoodschool.com/

http://www.northlakechristian.org/

http://mandevillehigh.stpsb.org/

http://fontainebleauhigh.stpsb.org/

http://www.stpsb.org/

http://www.mqpcs.org/

http://www.lakecastle.com/

http://www.ollparish.info/oll_school.aspx


Home prices are pretty reasonable for what you get, too.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...-325000-500000

davedowneast 05-14-2013 06:19 AM


Originally Posted by CLang (Post 5640684)
Everybody keep thinking that that is what it's like down here. I've got no problems with that. Poke fun at us and stay where ya at! :thumbsup:

Did Y'all read my last sentence?:roll

BTW, don't worry about me moving there, I'll probably be in Baldwin County in 2 years (for the schools). But I will be visiting, a lot. That area is very similar to where I live now, only more diverse and with bigger marshes.

cgrand 05-14-2013 06:29 AM


Originally Posted by Back-in-Black (Post 5640838)
Ahhhhh, Livingston Parish.

What do tornados and divorces in Livingston Parish have in common?

Either way, someone is going to lose a perfectly good mobile home.:grin:

dont forget the highest per capita number of working chemists in the state


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.