Notices

SR-71 Blackbird Model

Old 05-13-2013, 05:42 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Raleigh/Southport, NC
Posts: 4,511
Default SR-71 Blackbird Model

Don't know about you all, but I've always thought the Blackbird was the most badass plan our country has ever produced. Someone sent me this video of a model r/c SR-71 that someone built, and it flied beautifully. Even has little jet engines!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SDbQ5xvsrIU
jcbadabing is offline  
Old 05-13-2013, 07:13 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Greenville/MHC, NC
Posts: 2,608
Default

That was impressive!!
aFORDable is offline  
Old 05-13-2013, 08:19 AM
  #3  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 8,492
Default

Sweet. Picture this. A bunch of Taliban riding their camels. The first thing that came to mind was how much fun it would be to buzz them about a foot over their heads repeatedly.
mikeloew is offline  
Old 05-13-2013, 04:01 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Lower Michigan
Posts: 2,547
Default

Love the guy standing there with the fire extinguisher when they are starting it up.
Unmistakable shape on that plane.
s_ebels is offline  
Old 05-13-2013, 05:01 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Goodland, Florida
Posts: 3,999
Default

Saw the real thing last month at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum near Dulles Airport. Well worth a stop if you are in the area.

Name:  IMG_0836_zps0bb14d55.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  114.0 KB
Cat-a-holic is offline  
Old 05-13-2013, 05:40 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Pompano Beach, FL, USA
Posts: 4,917
Default

Originally Posted by s_ebels View Post
Love the guy standing there with the fire extinguisher when they are starting it up.
Unmistakable shape on that plane.
Thats normal for the turbine models. What's better is the guy smoking next to the guy holding the fire extinguisher.
ndb8fxe is offline  
Old 05-17-2013, 01:27 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NPR FLA
Posts: 1,921
Default

That was badass. The builder has mad skills for sure. Now his choice of pants leaves something to be desired...lol
Shamus O'toole is offline  
Old 05-17-2013, 05:57 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pacific NW coast~!
Posts: 2,289
Default

Originally Posted by jcbadabing View Post
Don't know about you all, but I've always thought the Blackbird was the most badass plan our country has ever produced. Someone sent me this video of a model r/c SR-71 that someone built, and it flied beautifully. Even has little jet engines!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SDbQ5xvsrIU
The A10 owns the SR-71

makonnen is offline  
Old 05-18-2013, 06:32 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Goodland, Florida
Posts: 3,999
Default

Apples and oranges.
Cat-a-holic is offline  
Old 05-18-2013, 08:11 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: WPB, Fl.
Posts: 10,308
Default

Wart vs wart remover.
gofastsandman is offline  
Old 05-18-2013, 01:39 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: jacksonville, florida usa
Posts: 2,235
Default

Nails the landing.
LuckyLaRue is offline  
Old 05-18-2013, 02:27 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Greenville/MHC, NC
Posts: 2,608
Default

Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
Well, as a former 11-Bravo, USA INF, I hafta admit that the Thunderbolt is BAD-ASS, and excellent for close infantry support, but the SR-71 also serves a useful purpose, and it goes just a LITTLE bit faster... LOL. However, it can't bank to port or starboard the way the Thunderbolt can, and, as an old school vertical skateboarder, I appreciate such characteristics. Makes ya wonder which would be funner to fly if you were a pilot... speed is good, but that heller banking ability is also cool.
So far as fun to fly...A10... by far. Speed only matters when you have terrain close enought to judge the speed. As to the thrill of flying that is.
aFORDable is offline  
Old 05-18-2013, 02:37 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pacific NW coast~!
Posts: 2,289
Default

Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
Well, as a former 11-Bravo, USA INF, I hafta admit that the Thunderbolt is BAD-ASS, and excellent for close infantry support, but the SR-71 also serves a useful purpose, and it goes just a LITTLE bit faster... LOL. However, it can't bank to port or starboard the way the Thunderbolt can, and, as an old school vertical skateboarder, I appreciate such characteristics. Makes ya wonder which would be funner to fly if you were a pilot... speed is good, but that heller banking ability is also cool.
Tons of respect for the SR-71.

But the SR-71 says "Hi, I'm here to take pictures"

The A10 says "You're so dead"
makonnen is offline  
Old 05-19-2013, 04:50 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Barbados
Posts: 2,300
Default

Originally Posted by Cat-a-holic View Post
Saw the real thing last month at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum near Dulles Airport. Well worth a stop if you are in the area.

what would you say? about 18 Degree deadrise? would be a little tippy without chines though
SRQMynatt is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread