Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Pot users show drop in IQ from adolescence to adulthood

Notices

Pot users show drop in IQ from adolescence to adulthood

Old 08-30-2012, 12:17 PM
  #61  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Smyrna Beach
Posts: 2,521
Default

Thank you Capt Willie.
BottomPicker is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 PM
  #62  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location:
Posts: 196
Default

Originally Posted by jzima View Post
One thing about marijuana that I truly struggle to understand is that some god fearing folks who really take their bible seriously, are also in favor of outlawing marijuana. Marijuana is a plant. It's nature. If you believe god (any god) created all this, then man specifically outlawing a natural substance is like saying god fucked up, isn't it? Isn't that against the very "nature" of the belief in god though, that he could be so wrong that man has to "correct" him?
God also created nightshade, cynide, arsenic, and death angel mushrooms. Just because He created it, doesn't mean we were supposed to eat it, (or smoke it).

There is a reason they call it "DOPE".

God also created rocks, that doesn't mean it is OK to eat rocks,....or use them for brains.
capn_billl is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 PM
  #63  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,596
Default

What I have found is that todays' parents assume that their kids dabbling in MJ is just as harmless as when they did it.

Not true.

^^^^
This is an opinion. The THC content of pot grown today vs 1960 could be a fact if you had a lot of data on pot from the 1960.
Danny33486 is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 12:30 PM
  #64  
Senior Member
 
Captain Willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: HAAF
Posts: 25,434
Default

Originally Posted by Danny33486 View Post
What I have found is that todays' parents assume that their kids dabbling in MJ is just as harmless as when they did it.

Not true.

^^^^
This is an opinion. The THC content of pot grown today vs 1960 could be a fact if you had a lot of data on pot from the 1960.
Or a lot of pot in storage. You might be surprised.---and the way it is grown.
Captain Willie is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 12:30 PM
  #65  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 'Questa, FL
Posts: 3,111
Default

What sort of super weed related emergencies is your fire fighter/emt buddy responding to?

I'd venture to say that most of our IQs have dropped some over the years whether you smoke a bowl every day or not.

I've partied most of my life and I can without a doubt say that the bottle has put me in much worse situations than the ganj.

Last edited by aiian; 08-30-2012 at 12:43 PM.
aiian is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 12:31 PM
  #66  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,596
Default

Originally Posted by Capt.Willie View Post


No--you know what I am saying. A lot of folks smoked pot 30 or more years ago and assume it is still harmless. Same name --but different today. That's all.
Different maybe - harmless is a subjective term very little we chose to do to our bodies is harmless. I would say generally not very harmful even today's "Evil super strong skunk bud"
Danny33486 is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 12:34 PM
  #67  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,596
Default

Originally Posted by aiian View Post
What sort of super weed related emergencies is your fire fighter/emt buddy responding to?

I'd venture to say that most of our IQs have form over the years whether you smoke a bowl every day or not.

I've partied most of my life and I can without a doubt say that the bottle has put me in much worse situations than the ganj.
I could not agree more - and in college there was not much that I would not take.
Danny33486 is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 12:36 PM
  #68  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,596
Default

Originally Posted by Capt.Willie View Post
Or a lot of pot in storage. You might be surprised.---and the way it is grown.
I guess the oppressor man probably does have a lot of pot in storage. Makes sense.. the spoils from the "War on Pot"
Danny33486 is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 01:59 PM
  #69  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dulcecita Lures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 16,760
Default

Personally? I'm a hell of a lot less worried about someone smoking real pot (60's, 70's, or today's Chronic) than I would be with someone that smokes the synthetic "spice" available at smoke shops everywhere. Same goes for the bath salts crap. These totally synthetic drugs are a huge crapshoot and are causing way more havoc in the streets and emergency room visits than their "real" counterparts.

Besides, the biggest threat to kids today isn't somebody selling them a dime bag on the corner near high school. It's their parent's medicine cabinet full of Vicodin, Percoset, and Oxycodone. This is the drug of choice for most kids.

Stop living in the 60's, all of you "haters".
Dulcecita Lures is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 02:07 PM
  #70  
Senior Member
 
fidhhook54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 21,113
Default

American Democrats are always talking about Social Equality, well if they can grow
drugs in Latin America and Africa, by the Social Equality thingy...

We Europeans should be able to grow drugs too!!!

Can´t wait for Europe to have home grown high quality Cocaine, pot and everything else!!!

You American sell us Marlboro, we sell you a few 8 ballers.

Long live Social Equality...

Yes WE CAN, Obama said it.
fidhhook54 is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 03:38 PM
  #71  
Admirals Club
 
Ronn Burgandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 15,108
Default

Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
God also created nightshade, cynide, arsenic, and death angel mushrooms. Just because He created it, doesn't mean we were supposed to eat it, (or smoke it).

There is a reason they call it "DOPE".

God also created rocks, that doesn't mean it is OK to eat rocks,....or use them for brains.
Huh? Your post makes no sense. I'm talking about the law outlawing the growth of a completely natural plant, and you are comparing this to eating rocks? If you have nothing to add of value, don't attempt to add anything.
Ronn Burgandy is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 03:42 PM
  #72  
Senior Member
 
fidhhook54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 21,113
Default

Anyway the CIA has the monopoly on drugs, time to share that monopoly with other countrys!!!
fidhhook54 is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 09:17 PM
  #73  
Admirals Club
 
Ronn Burgandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 15,108
Default

Originally Posted by BottomPicker View Post
"I have a clear memory of standing in my living room literally turning in a circle because I didn't know which way to go or what to do. Which, is unusual for me "The Fixer"

Maximum, I can't tell you how many times I felt that way. You feel totally helpless. Any parent that has had to deal with addicted kids will tell you the same. I wish they gave me the instructions manual when he was born. I had to get the police to throw my son out of my apt after finding a "stamp bag" in my living room one morning. I worked with a probabtion officer that was a very dedicated public servant. That happened about 9 years ago. He died 4 years ago this past June in Denver. I really wasn't looking for any sympathy by my post, just wanted to make more people aware of the downside of drug use. But I do appreciate everyone's considerate thoughts.

For some people it leads to use of other drugs. In fact, a close buddy of mine that is a Fireman and EMT that has saved more lives than many doctors has told me that the marijuana today is much more powerful than 20 years ago. You should read the Narcotics Anonymous booklet with the life stories of former addicts. It would be an eye opener. I guess my only point is that drugs and alcohol have a downside, and they can aggravate other serious underlying problems. I'm not willing to minimize somebody's drug use by saying, well we can't stop it or other such minimizing statements. I just have my experience and it is that Brad started with marijuana. I wish the guys on here that are supporting legalizing marijauana could talk with my friend Tim who is a former Franciscan priest and drug and alcohol counsellor for 40 years. That would open your eyes, maybe.
Again, I thank you for sharing your story as I believe stories like these help move the discussion along. That said, and this may seem harsh, but it's not my eyes that need opening, friend.

Any correlation to your sons 'hard drug' problem and pot I can easily make to Pepsi as well. The reality most likely is, your son tried pot as the result of peer pressure. He didn't have the self esteem to say no, so he tried to fit in. He tried it, liked it, either because of the escape from his reality or because it allowed him to 'fit in' with whomever he was hanging out with. To get his weed, he was forced by the 'war on drugs' to associate with people who have pot in their backpack, pills in their pocket, and coke in their waistbag. To continue to fit in, he kept trying what was offered, until he got to something that sticks, kinda like your morning coffee. In your search for the answer to what could've been done, you've chosen to accept the standard explanation. People are wired differently, some are leaders, some followers. Some are strong, some are weak. No offense, but I've yet to meet a ''strong'' addict. That's not an insult to you or your son, it's just the reality. Regardless of where an addict starts, the end is predetermined.

Addiction is a funny thing though. Society treats it as a bad thing, overlooking the fact that the majority of us are addicts. Ever meet someone who is irritable in the morning before their coffee? Addict. Accepted addict, but addict nonetheless. The body craves caffeine and one feels less than stellar until they fulfill that body's desire. Just like coke, or heroin, or pcp, the primary difference being that their 'fix' is readily available to them.

That your close buddy has saved lives bears nothing to his expertise on pot. It's more potent than in the past? Really? What's next, you and Willie's expert going to try to tell me that 8 ounces of vodka is more potent than 8 ounces of beer? Bottom line is, more potent or not (it is), pot has the SAME effect on the brain and nervous system than it ever has.

While your point is that drugs have a downside, my retort is, what doesn't. Drinking too much water has a downside. Being addicted to eating and abusing food has its downside. Too much oxygen has its downside. You're not opening anyone's eyes friend. Everyone knows that drugs have their downside. What you miss by focusing on that is their upside. Your personal experience sucks, but it's not the norm. The norm is that your accountant who did your taxes probably smokes. Your pharmacist probably smokes. Your coworkers smoke. They are all responsible smokers though, so you'd never know it. You only know your personal experience with an irresponsible drug user. Your position is akin to saying "I read in the paper about a DUI accident, let me put this drink down and ban all alcohol".

Anything, I repeat, anything used or done irresponsibly has a downside and is easy to focus on. That a few weak minded souls can't manage their impulses should not tarnish a population of responsible use, particularly when the only correlation is based in outright lies.
Ronn Burgandy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread