Notices

Dog in a hotel ?

Old 07-16-2012, 05:02 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: De
Posts: 2,499
Default Dog in a hotel ?

What are your thoughts on this?

We're travelling and something came up that I may add an extra night to the trip, short night of sleep and I'm not sleeping in the car with wife and 2 teens.

We have a 4 Lb Poodle, that would sleep in a cage in the room with us. I am not exactly sure where we are going to be when ready to stop.

Is it wrong to sneak the dog in, yes if they have a no pet policy, I understand that with the risk of getting kicked out... but If we're stuck do I have a choice? I'd leave him in the car but with this heat that's a no way.....

Again not sure exactly where I am going to be when I pull in to sleep.

This is a last minute thing that came up and all other accommodations we have are Pet Friendly.

Bring it on!


Thx
Striper In is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 05:17 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 867
Default

Yes it is wrong, but you already knew that.

Maybe have a few pet friendly hotels lined up where you think you might be stopping.

This is probably a better lesson to teach your children.
haccpguy is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 05:19 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,501
Default

most hotels are pet friendly , google pet friendly hotels in that area , and then call them , it's usually a $25 fee
docters oarders is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 05:29 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Downeast, North Carolina
Posts: 6,131
Default

I typically stay in a Holiday Inn or Best Western, I think everyone I've stayed at were pet friendly.

I suppose you could make up a fictitious scenario that would make it imposable to find a pet friendly hotel. Other than that 99% of the time you can find one with a little effort.

Maybe I'm wrong, it might be a Southern thing to include the whole family.
davedowneast is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 06:35 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas, y'all.
Posts: 2,900
Default

Yes it's wrong and don't try to sneak one in. Think about the next customer that will sleep in that room. Some folks don't like the smell and\or fleas associated with most dogs and cats. I know your poodle is perfect.

I was kicked out of a roach motel in Rockport Texas because I wanted to keep my lab IN THE BED OF MY TRUCK while I got some rest for the night after a long day fishing. She would have caused no one any harm unless they were to touch my truck. I think the owner thought I was going to be sneaky and bring her in the room with me....but she's an outside dog.
swifty is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 07:13 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Florida Keys
Posts: 1,211
Default

There are plenty of pet friendly hotels these days. Some even include a pet welcome kit with a couple of treats, etc. We take our Golden Retriever with us and have never had a problem.

When we are not sure of our exact destination while on the road we just google pet friendly hotels and the area we expect to be. A bunch usually show up in the results.
beachbum43 is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 07:39 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 729
Default

La Quinta's are 100% dog friendly. I've walked right thru the lobby with my 90lb Lab.
DandH is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 07:57 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Destin Fl USA
Posts: 1,135
Default

Used to sneak dachound into casino hotel in Vegas. Had a canvas bag he would hide in. Big diference with our 100lb lab cant find a bag big enough.
ed
Edstillfishing is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 852
Default

Originally Posted by DandH View Post
La Quinta's are 100% dog friendly. I've walked right thru the lobby with my 90lb Lab.
They're good with cats too.
Rascalsdad is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 09:15 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,098
Default

Originally Posted by Striper In View Post
What are your thoughts on this?

We're travelling and something came up that I may add an extra night to the trip, short night of sleep and I'm not sleeping in the car with wife and 2 teens.

We have a 4 Lb Poodle, that would sleep in a cage in the room with us. I am not exactly sure where we are going to be when ready to stop.

Is it wrong to sneak the dog in, yes if they have a no pet policy, I understand that with the risk of getting kicked out... but If we're stuck do I have a choice? I'd leave him in the car but with this heat that's a no way.....

Again not sure exactly where I am going to be when I pull in to sleep.

This is a last minute thing that came up and all other accommodations we have are Pet Friendly.

Bring it on!


Thx

A pet friendly hotel or even a kennel shouldn't be too hard to find. If not somebody (I'd go with whomever wanted to travel with the poodle) needs to sleep in the car with the dog.

Sucks being a pet owner sometimes.
Qb1rdman is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 11:14 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas, y'all.
Posts: 2,900
Default

Originally Posted by Qb1rdman View Post
A pet friendly hotel or even a kennel shouldn't be too hard to find. If not somebody (I'd go with whomever wanted to travel with the poodle) needs to sleep in the car with the dog.

Sucks being a pet owner sometimes.

swifty is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Captain Willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: HAAF
Posts: 25,434
Default

Make sure your dog never accepts collect phone calls at a hotel. Very Expensive>










/
Attached Images  
Captain Willie is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 11:26 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,508
Default

Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Yes it's wrong and don't try to sneak one in. Think about the next customer that will sleep in that room. Some folks don't like the smell and\or fleas associated with most dogs and cats. I know your poodle is perfect.

I was kicked out of a roach motel in Rockport Texas because I wanted to keep my lab IN THE BED OF MY TRUCK while I got some rest for the night after a long day fishing. She would have caused no one any harm unless they were to touch my truck. I think the owner thought I was going to be sneaky and bring her in the room with me....but she's an outside dog.
Fleas? I've had dogs my entire life and I don't think we've ever had an issue with fleas. I know it happens but I think saying that it's an issue with most dogs is a stretch. That said, it's easy to find a pet friendly place to stay. Our Vizsla travels with us frequently and the hotels have been a non issue.
Cousin Eddie is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 11:27 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: englewood, florida
Posts: 5,329
Default

lots of pet friendly hotels everywhere...some have size limits but your poodle will fit nicely...

sneaking a dog in could lead to a cleaning surcharge that dwarfs the hotel bill if discovered...

pet frindlys are not hard to find...
bladenbullet is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 11:32 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas, y'all.
Posts: 2,900
Default

Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
Fleas? I've had dogs my entire life and I don't think we've ever had an issue with fleas. I know it happens but I think saying that it's an issue with most dogs is a stretch. That said, it's easy to find a pet friendly place to stay. Our Vizsla travels with us frequently and the hotels have been a non issue.
Like I said, his poodle is perfect and so is your Vizla. My point really was don't sneak in your pet in a non-pet friendly hotel.
swifty is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 11:34 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 463
Default

Smoke a cigarette, sneak a dog, same difference. $250.00 typically.
mtty is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,445
Default

This site tells you all the hotels that allow dogs.

www.bringfido.com
ABetterBroker is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
stringle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SWFL
Posts: 5,680
Default

Originally Posted by DandH View Post
La Quinta's are 100% dog friendly. I've walked right thru the lobby with my 90lb Lab.
This. Unlike the gent above, I have yet to find a Holiday Inn that is pet friendly.
stringle is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 06:09 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,655
Default

The OP said that they had an itinerary and had to adjust it; leaving them no clue about what motel had a decent policy. Let me add to that the supposed fact that they are all tired and just want sleep, not to hug a PETA person's neck.

To the OP, if we need to crash outside of our planned bivouac, then we crash and deal with it in the morning. Assuming that your pet is very well house/car trained, who's the wiser and what's it hurt?

FWIW, our GPS' may or may not show pet-friendly motels while enroute. We don't travel enough to know this....so do they all show pet-friendly motels from your car??
bamaboy473 is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: MD/DC & IRI - 05 Southport 26 Honda 225s
Posts: 3,914
Default

I always assume that a motel is pet friendly unless there is a sign at the front desk saying no pets. Check in late, keep the dog quiet and out of the way of other people, and leave the maid a couple of extra dollars in case there is some dog fur to vacuum up.
Frank007 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread