Notices

Remember When?

Old 07-15-2012, 06:00 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Marco Island FL
Posts: 444
Default Remember When?

Remember when we put baseball cards in our spokes?
never say never is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 06:02 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,511
Default

yep, i still do!!!
tat2 is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 06:06 PM
  #3  
GCC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 5,665
Default

Not sure where this is goin.....
GCC is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 06:06 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Slidell, Louisiana
Posts: 483
Default

How about the partially inflated baloons? Much cooler sound while they lasted!!!
Graceman is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 06:09 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Marco Island FL
Posts: 444
Default

You can get a car for $300.00 and lasted.
never say never is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 06:57 PM
  #6  
APL
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 1,374
Default

Trihull bow riders were popular....
APL is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 07:10 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Morehead City NC
Posts: 4,427
Default

Originally Posted by never say never View Post
Remember when we put baseball cards in our spokes?
It's funny you bring this up. We were just talking about this at work last week. No telling how many thousands of dollars I tore up in my spokes.
Roger Maris(sp) I seem to remember seeing a lot. All we wanted was the gum inside And yes we did the ballons too
Messed up a lot of moms clothes pins too.
Don't see those around much these days.
parrott is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 07:17 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 160
Default

Wow this could go on forever. Ha ha
how bout when kids knocked on doors to hang out instead of texting
or when cable tv had only 30 channels and so much more was on
Waterworks is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 07:32 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Westport MA
Posts: 3,550
Default

wait, what's this about the balloons? We didn't know about that one. Baseball cards and chopping forks off old bikes to turn ours into "Choppers", yeah sure.
icemang is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 07:34 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft Lauderdale Fl
Posts: 5,990
Default

Clackers!
bumster is offline  
Old 07-15-2012, 08:23 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,162
Default

Did the chopper modification to a Schwinn Stingray

The cable TV control was a box on the end of a long cord

You know what relationship there is between a bic pen, and a cassette tape

You could run your 13' Whaler / 9.9 Johnson for a week of after school on $4.00 in leaded regular

You were out in your Whaler getting into all types of fun / trouble . . . not sitting in the A/C texting.

Your first job was painting bottoms at the marina . . . back when kids had jobs. (don't get me started!)

This list could go a long way . . . . . .
Design59 is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 01:30 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,979
Default

Originally Posted by Design59 View Post
Did the chopper modification to a Schwinn Stingray

The cable TV control was a box on the end of a long cord

You know what relationship there is between a bic pen, and a cassette tape

You could run your 13' Whaler / 9.9 Johnson for a week of after school on $4.00 in leaded regular

You were out in your Whaler getting into all types of fun / trouble . . . not sitting in the A/C texting.

Your first job was painting bottoms at the marina . . . back when kids had jobs. (don't get me started!)

This list could go a long way . . . . . .
Cable control box on the end of a cord?
There are some of us that remember the first TV in the neighborhood.

Skateboards.
S - - T. We took a rollar skate apart and nailed the pieces to a board. The better rollar skates had ball bearings and worked better.

My first F'glass fishing pole was one dollar with the purchase of a case of Coke as advertised by Jungle Jim on the first Tampa TV station.

Some of ya'll are real young'uns.
mike carrigan is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 01:41 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,979
Default

Originally Posted by APL View Post
Trihull bow riders were popular....
Most popped from the same hulls.
Most popular in Florida were names like Seabreeze, Cacci Craft and others.
Most built in the Detroits of the marine industry. Sarasota/Bradenton and Dade.
Sold for about $1300.00 or so, boat, motor and trailer, early 60's. However the Bimini was about $40.00 more. Running lights added about another $25.00 or so and the trailer had one tail light. Two taillights were extra.
A new O/B was about $1.00 per HP.
mike carrigan is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 02:50 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
PLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Snapper Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Republic of West Florida - the ORIGINAL lone star state
Posts: 17,780
Default

Being 12 years old and taking the 14 foot aluminum skiff with the 9.9 on the back out on a Saturday. Exploring, fishing, swimming, from sunup to sundown. Wearing only a pair of shorts. No shoes, no shirt, no hat, no sunscreen, no sunglasses.

Mowing yards all day Sunday to have gas money to take the skiff out next weekend.


Big Al
Snapper Head is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 03:18 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York, Greatest State in the Union
Posts: 1,138
Default

You could play Ring and Run without the worry of being shot or arrested!
tcontic is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 03:27 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,979
Default

Originally Posted by mike carrigan View Post
Most popped from the same hulls.
Most popular in Florida were names like Seabreeze, Cacci Craft and others.
Most built in the Detroits of the marine industry. Sarasota/Bradenton and Dade.
Sold for about $1300.00 or so, boat, motor and trailer, early 60's. However the Bimini was about $40.00 more. Running lights added about another $25.00 or so and the trailer had one tail light. Two taillights were extra.
A new O/B was about $1.00 per HP.
Correction.
$10.00 per HP.
I missed a zero.
mike carrigan is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 04:53 AM
  #17  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Birmingham / Hessel, MI
Posts: 26,971
Default

Originally Posted by Snapper Head View Post
Being 12 years old and taking the 14 foot aluminum skiff with the 9.9 on the back out on a Saturday. Exploring, fishing, swimming, from sunup to sundown. Wearing only a pair of shorts. No shoes, no shirt, no hat, no sunscreen, no sunglasses.

Mowing yards all day Sunday to have gas money to take the skiff out next weekend.


Big Al

Sounds like there was some sweet tea mixed into those episodes.

We were three wild brothers. Gone all day except to come eat.
cedarholm is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 05:03 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 11,931
Default

I remember pulling the suction cups off the plastic darts, so they would hurt more when you shot your friend in the ass.
Jus Teasin is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 05:19 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location:
Posts: 402
Default

19 cents for a gallon of gas.
When I was 16 and put 300 miles a week "making the drag" each night.
All of 2 miles long.
fshmn is offline  
Old 07-16-2012, 05:53 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Darien, Ga.
Posts: 353
Default

Originally Posted by bumster View Post
Went to Greece in '71 for NATO maneuvers. Seems every kid under 15 in every town we went through were playing with those things. Very popular there!
illesheim71 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread