Notices

Plans Table

Old 06-07-2012, 11:53 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 1,241
Default Plans Table

I am setting up an onsite office in a construction trailer, I am the project manager for the job. I want to set my office up in the field to be as functioning as in my real office. I am looking for a table to use to lay drawings out on. It will need to be large enough for a full size set of drawings. I am using a regular 8' table I bought from Lowe's right not. It is about 4" to narrow, and it looks like a table I bought from lowes. Anyone build anything that looks half way decent or have some plans? I will probably build it myself in my spare time so I can get it exactly like I want it.
jkapl001 is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 12:18 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 2,122
Default

I think I would look for an old full size drafting table on CL, etc.
Then I might hinge it to the trailer wall so that I could hinge it up like a Murphy Bed when not being used.
If ya leave it down all the time, it will just be a dumping ground for everything.
DoubleO7 is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 12:44 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,479
Default

a sheet of 5/8" plywood an some legs under it will do.
Do it all the time
Fl Fisherman is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 12:59 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hewitt & Forked River, NJ
Posts: 3,058
Default

Our guys usually just build one out of 2x4's and a sheet of plywood.

Make the frame so the table is tilted at a confortable angle and put a 1X3 strip on the lower edge so nothing slides off.

Easily holds E size drawings
ReelNauti is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 02:32 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boat,Town Cove, Cape Cod. Live south of Boston.
Posts: 1,433
Default

The Co. I work for need some plan tables for const. site trailers so we measured up a plan table from eng./drafting dept. and welded the frame work out of uni-strut and topped it with 1/2 ply.
PF-88 is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 02:44 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,069
Default

Hollow core luan door. Can usually getem cheap as a second from your door supplier.
gort is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 03:32 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,026
Default

A good construction manager ought to be able to figure out this on his own methinks.
Id just get a sheet of mdf, screw some 1x to the bottom as an apron to keep it flat, and plop it on some horses....
CharlieFoxtrot is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 05:39 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Bastian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lower Keys
Posts: 3,643
Default

Tell the carpenter foreman you will buy pizza for the guys if they come in with 2x4's and plywood and make you one. Then go to the plumbing foreman and have them cut you a few sections of PVC for a print holder underneath.
Bastian is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 06:18 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Marblehead, Ohio
Posts: 9,695
Default

here's one I had made years ago and just sold on craig's list.
Attached Images   
Boataholic is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 06:26 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 20,654
Default

Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
I think I would look for an old full size drafting table on CL, etc.
Then I might hinge it to the trailer wall so that I could hinge it up like a Murphy Bed when not being used.
If ya leave it down all the time, it will just be a dumping ground for everything.
Not on my tables!!

Originally Posted by Fl Fisherman View Post
a sheet of 5/8" plywood an some legs under it will do.
Do it all the time


Originally Posted by ReelNauti View Post
Our guys usually just build one out of 2x4's and a sheet of plywood.

Make the frame so the table is tilted at a confortable angle and put a 1X3 strip on the lower edge so nothing slides off.

Easily holds E size drawings
Height= 48" in the back, 40" in the front. That's comfortable for me.
I typically rip the plywood to 40" +/- wide. It has to be a couple of inches wider then the aluminum rails on the plans rack that the drawings hang from.


Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot View Post
A good construction manager ought to be able to figure out this on his own methinks.
Id just get a sheet of mdf, screw some 1x to the bottom as an apron to keep it flat, and plop it on some horses....


Originally Posted by Bastian View Post
Tell the carpenter foreman you will buy pizza for the guys if they come in with 2x4's and plywood and make you one. Then go to the plumbing foreman and have them cut you a few sections of PVC for a print holder underneath.
I despise rolled drawings, but that's just me.
Get a hanging drawing rack.

Built one in every trailer for the past 12 years.
If we had temporary office inside a building we would build one against a wall.
In the Foreman days, (20+ years) I used a Baker scaffold, 8' long x 6' high (ladder ends) and put the deck on an angle at 40" and 48" +/-. Then it could be rolled to different areas when laying out.
It's all personal preference.
This school project will last 2 years, 4 months and when (if) we get the school next door maybe a total of 5+/- years so it has to be comfortable.

These are a few pics from when everything was just getting set up a year ago.

.
Attached Images      
240 LTS is offline  
Old 06-07-2012, 08:20 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Poquoson, VA
Posts: 4,235
Default

when I worked for a design build engineering firm right of college my plans/drafting table was a solid wood door built on a stand that gave me a 38" low side height and 44" on the high side.

Would hold up random ladies I took back to my office in the off hours while I showed them my mad drawing/drafting skills.....

the office was 1.5 miles from a favorite pub of mine.
Mardi-Gras is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread