Notices

Help settle a small bet

Old 06-02-2012, 04:07 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,223
Default Help settle a small bet

I recently purchased a scooter, while talking with a guy I met in a scooter forum the topic of his eng problem came up.

He says (no get this) that he can run his 4 stroke scooter without oil in the pan by substituting it for a 50:1 gas oil mix like in a 2 stroke.

I was taken aback for a minute as I thought he was pulling my leg, but he insists it works.

I disagreed with him and that leads us here.

What do you say.

P.s. He claims with the right mix the eng will run as long as a normal 2 stroke, I just laughed. Please tell me I'm not wrong.
08087 is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 04:18 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
triumphrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Masaryktown, Fla.
Posts: 17,118
Default

I'm sorry...but a scooter?? And a scooter forum????

This may permanently damage your man-card....
triumphrick is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 04:32 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 20,684
Default

Read this thread for other opinions and actual experiences.

My main concern would be the crankshaft bearings getting enough lube.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/tex.../130305-1.html


.
240 LTS is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 04:36 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Port Orange Florida
Posts: 2,289
Default

ask him what exactly is going to lube the valve train/crankshaft.

how exactly is a 4stroke going to ignite pre-mix?
shore is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 04:41 PM
  #5  
KJS
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Where I go, there I am
Posts: 16,761
Default

Are you debating Pee Wee Herman?
KJS is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 05:12 PM
  #6  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adirondacks, NY/Palm Beach
Posts: 5,401
Default

Cams, lifters, valves, main bearings, and the engine oil pump all need oil. It can't work.
ThreeLittleFish is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 05:16 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location:
Posts: 3,517
Default

This



Originally Posted by ThreeLittleFish View Post
Cams, lifters, valves, main bearings, and the engine oil pump all need oil. It can't work.
Tommysmicroskiff is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 05:18 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Senatobia
Posts: 1,080
Default

Apparently scooter riders have some kind of support group.
dbkerley is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 05:36 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 884
Default

Tell the dumb ass to do it, make sure you video it when it hydrolocks and breaks the rod or crankshaft. Guy must have shit for brains, literally.
maxim1010 is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 05:38 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 729
Default

Buy one of those 'see thru' Chevy V8 engine models and put it together so you ll understand how a four cycle engine works.

And then tell that guy to pound salt.
DandH is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 05:39 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
spraynet 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 7,213
Default

The reason the dumb ass can run his 4-stroke scooter on gas-oil mixture is because it's a 2-stroke and he is simply too ignorant to know the difference.

There is absolutely no way on earth it could work. Cams, lifters, valves, main bearings, and the engine oil pump all need oil to cool and lubricate themselves......PERIOD!!!!

Tell this moron that another person you talked with told you to tell him he's an IDIOT!!!!

I think I still have some latent anger left over from my Public School Rant. I need a drink....and a cooling off period from this site
spraynet 1 is online now  
Old 06-02-2012, 05:43 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clearwater Beach FL
Posts: 6,444
Default

Originally Posted by triumphrick View Post
I'm sorry...but a scooter?? And a scooter forum????

This may permanently damage your man-card....
uh.. PERMABAN stamped on the card no doubt.
grouperkng is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 05:48 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,223
Default

Thank you all, the link was a great help and proves he's an ass. I think he's a bit of a stalker kind of guy looking for a friend, he hasn't found one yet.

I'm not the brightest guy when it comes to motors but I knew he was talking out of his ass.

As for my man card, per NJ law my scoot is a motorcycle, all 163 cc's of it, still havn't figured out my milage yet but to commute back and forth to work it'll come in handy. So on paper I'm all Harleyed up! I saw myself in the reflection of a school bus rear door the other day, didn't look as faggy as I thought I would.
08087 is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 05:57 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Senatobia
Posts: 1,080
Default

I have to get my passport stamped when reentering MS everyday. I might get shot at the border on a Vespa.
dbkerley is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 06:15 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 4,957
Default

Originally Posted by spraynet 1 View Post
The reason the dumb ass can run his 4-stroke scooter on gas-oil mixture is because it's a 2-stroke and he is simply too ignorant to know the difference.

There is absolutely no way on earth it could work. Cams, lifters, valves, main bearings, and the engine oil pump all need oil to cool and lubricate themselves......PERIOD!!!!

Tell this moron that another person you talked with told you to tell him he's an IDIOT!!!!
X2 - I have 9, 2 strokes and 7 4strokes in the garage, and after reading the first post, this is the exact conclusion I came to as well
demjjm is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 06:16 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,223
Default

Originally Posted by dbkerley View Post
I have to get my passport stamped when reentering MS everyday. I might get shot at the border on a Vespa.
No Itialian scoot for me, mine is made in Korea!
08087 is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 06:27 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Luling Louisiana
Posts: 1,309
Default

Originally Posted by 08087 View Post
I saw myself in the reflection of a school bus rear door the other day, didn't look as faggy as I thought I would.
Well, thats good.
Nasty Wendy is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 06:29 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,070
Default

Tell him to put the video up on YouTube. Plz somehow convince him go do it at wot.
notgottaboatyet is offline  
Old 06-03-2012, 06:09 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,350
Default

You are not wrong - in fact he is harming his engine with the oil additive even with oil in the crankcase. Your friend is quite ignorant about very basic engine mechanics.
LI Sound Grunt is offline  
Old 06-03-2012, 06:14 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,352
Default

Originally Posted by dbkerley View Post
Apparently scooter riders have some kind of support group.

And they may very well need it.
Reel 007 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread