Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

8 year old electrocuted in Galveston County

Notices

8 year old electrocuted in Galveston County

Old 06-01-2012, 04:46 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 951
Default 8 year old electrocuted in Galveston County

Here's the story:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=8684175

There's not much info yet.

The boy is the grandson of my cousin's ex-husband. Apparently he touched a canopy pole that had a florescent light installed in the canopy. The light shorted with the ground and electrocuted the boy. I don't know that much about electricity, but I don't think I would install a florescent light outside under a canopy. Is this obviously a hazard, or just a freak accident?

Poor kid.

Last edited by mrandell; 06-01-2012 at 06:01 PM.
mrandell is offline  
Old 06-02-2012, 08:58 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 539
Default

Sad day for sure.
falkon is offline  
Old 06-03-2012, 02:49 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,085
Default

Let's just say there is absolutely no reason why any lighting can not be wired up outside under a canopy or in a tent if done so properly. In this case was the light wired incorrectly or did the kid or someone else alter a somewhat safe condition by tripping on the wire?

General rule of thumb: Bad things happens when things go bad.

To bad for the boy, family and friends.
Garett is offline  
Old 06-04-2012, 11:41 AM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
Default Not the case

As a family friend, this was not a case of faulty wiring. It was a freak accident with no explanation. Numerous people had touched the same supports numerous times only minutes before and nothing happened. Investigators could not make it do it again, no matter what they tried. There is no explanation for why this happened, it just doesn't make sense. The breaker should have tripped as soon as it grounded, it did not. No one else was shocked, even grabbing supports while still live, the current was so low. Again, there is no rhyme or reason for what happened. It was not anyone's fault. I ask to please have a little respect for the family and friends of this child as I know that we have played hundreds of scenarios through of how we could have prevented this, the answer is that we couldn't. Please consider the family when you post your comments as I would hate to have them read your comments that seem to blame, they are dealing with enough, without mis-guided and mis-informed individuals commenting on a situation they know little if anything about. Thank you for your consideration.
turnerk1234 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread