The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   too much time in my hands while driving...??? (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/429769-too-much-time-my-hands-while-driving.html)

emudryj 05-30-2012 09:59 AM

too much time in my hands while driving...???
 
deep thoughs and my theory about the relation between information and success.

Believe it or not, I'm somewhat weird, and tend to have these what/why/when/how/who moments plenty often...
Today, I was driving and saw an AT&T crew laying some fiber optic... so I started thinking about that thread about shutting down the internet and how would it affect me personally. The first thing that came to my mind is how much I use and would miss google and youtube to learn new things....
I’ve used google and youtube for things from changing the heating element on my water heater or replacing the springs on my friend’s garage door, to a homemade weed killer.

This thought derived on the wild amounts of information available now a days and how easy it is for ANYBODY to reach it....

From there, I went with a basic tenet in my life that says "time is gold, but information is power". Information, information, information.... it's all I ask, as much and as good as possible.
Everybody thinks that making decisions is a BIG DEAL (it really is), but how much easier it is if you have all the info you need to make that decision?... pretty easy.

From there I shifted to separation of classes and how everybody complains now a day about the huge and growing breach between people on the low end of the scale and people on the high end of the scale of classes.
Aside from some random external factors that would not affect my theory (and I can address later), it seems to me that the road to success in the past was based on intuition and/or education.

Both are different ways to process/acquire information used to make decisions.
Wealthy people, were in their majority the ones that could get access to an education; ergo making educated better decisions, and in the minority, the people that without a formal education could see or think in a different manner ergo making better decisions than the common person.

Fast forward to this day... (Contrary to the common belief…) The playing field has been leveled by the internet and electronic methods of communication.
Access to humongous amounts of information is readily available for EVERYBODY.
Does this means that education is not a factor anymore? No, no way... proper education is a wonderful advantage in processing these huge loads of info, not because WHAT is learned during the educational process, but because of the training in ASIMILATING information that one may get during the educational process; but on the overall, it does not weight as much as it did in the past.
I remember when I started my bachelor degree in IT, one of the very first classes, the teacher told us that "even though the approved curriculum was current and up to date, whatever we were going to learn during the course of that program will most likely be irrelevant and outdated by the time we graduate"... in a different context but very true...the point he was making was that what we were learning was not as important as learning to “learn”.

So, why is the breach between the "have" and the "have not" still growing if the playing field has been leveled, and access to information is more readily available to make better decisions?
Why is not everybody making perfect decisions and being successful?
Note: The common notion of “success” would point to economic or financial position, but I’m really pointing to success in a broader way…

I know that I’m over simplifying it and there’s several particular situations that could play a role and I’m not addressing, but bear with me….

My theory says the answer to that is: Natural Selection.
Self-improvement desire (or “greed” as some call it) makes some people more prone to wonder and search for information. With more information they learn and make better decisions, with better decisions they get the luxury to make some mistakes and use these mistakes to learn and gather more information to make better decisions in the future, and so on and so forth…. You get the idea….
Some people on the other hand, simple don’t care about information, so no matter how readily available information is, you can shove it down to them intravenously, they will never use it… or learn from it. They will see the same situation going awry over and over, and keep making the same mistake one time after another…
Aside from a very few and far apart exceptions, this is how I can only explain how some people can be born in a super wealthy environment for example, get a perfect education, but end as poor as the homeless next to them, and some other people may be born in the poorest environment, with all the odds against them, but still excel and be successful.


For whatever reason, this ability is granted in different levels, and Mother Nature decided that only a small percentage of the overall race would get it in some form or shape at all.
As most other animal species, the human being would rapidly adapt to become dependent on somebody or something else for their wellbeing if the choice is given. Once adapted to this state of dependency, breaking from it has proven to be very difficult, ergo perpetuating dependency thru different generations.

If you made it all the way down here without getting bored to death and have a twisted mind like mine, I would be interested on hearing your comments...
What am I missing??? Do you agree?

dbkerley 05-30-2012 10:08 AM

You might try taking a breath once in a while.

emudryj 05-30-2012 10:16 AM


Originally Posted by dbkerley (Post 4647356)
You might try taking a breath once in a while.

That is what my wife says!!!!!!!!:o:o:o

Johnny Dreamer 05-30-2012 11:07 AM

I think Newton's First Law is more apt than Natural Selection.

The velocity of a body remains constant unless the body is acted upon by an external force.

That force is different for everybody. For some people that force may be needing to spend more time with their kids, so they actually choose to work less.

For others it may be a shiny car or boat so they choose to work more to earn more dollars for that one boat.

Others still may with to own a shipyard making boats - and set that as their goal.

For others still, it may be to help out the starving/sick/poor so they pay their way through college, get a medical degree and then move to Africa.

Thus, those that succeed (in attaining the goals they have set for themselves) have a mental force that pushes them. It is inescapable. They feel guilty if they are not "working towards their goal".

Others are happy sitting in chit and so there is no "force" changing their velocity.

As for me, I set unrealistically low targets and fail to achieve them.

emudryj 05-30-2012 12:02 PM


Originally Posted by Johnny Dreamer (Post 4647536)
I think Newton's First Law is more apt than Natural Selection.

The velocity of a body remains constant unless the body is acted upon by an external force.

That force is different for everybody. For some people that force may be needing to spend more time with their kids, so they actually choose to work less.

For others it may be a shiny car or boat so they choose to work more to earn more dollars for that one boat.

Others still may with to own a shipyard making boats - and set that as their goal.

For others still, it may be to help out the starving/sick/poor so they pay their way through college, get a medical degree and then move to Africa.

Thus, those that succeed (in attaining the goals they have set for themselves) have a mental force that pushes them. It is inescapable. They feel guilty if they are not "working toward their goal".

Others are happy sitting in chit and so there is no "force" changing their velocity.

As for me, I set unrealistically low targets and fail to achieve them.

Interesting perspective.....I'll give it a deeper thought on my drive back home but it seems that what you call "force" I call it "greed" or self-improvement desire... that incentivize those (that will succeed) to set high goals and pushes them toward achieve those goals... (we may be saying the same thing with different words.)

but WHY???

I was relating it to the current availability of information and decision making process... and was thinking about success and a broader manner than financial or economic.
In every one of your examples with different goals, you can be successful or not....
I know really loving and caring mom and dads that are chity parents.... they mean well, but are not successfully at task at hand. You can see them doing stuff and think for yourself "oh... this is going to end baaadddd" and it ends bad... next time come around you thing for yourself, " it's all good, they screwed last time, they will not make the same mistake" but they do.....THAY CAN'T LEARN.


so in regard to the ones in your post that set higher goals and those than are happy sitting on chit, what makes them different?
How do you explain people coming from well established environments ending to be junkies living on the streets, but at thee same time, individual cases from the geto that change their odds and pull themselves out and apart from everybody else on the same getho????

Blythe1022 05-30-2012 12:49 PM

Pay more attention to the road while driving. There is a lot of information to process there and you can't do it propperly if your mind is wondering.

notgottaboatyet 05-30-2012 12:56 PM

I think its the human element in both the child and the parents. No one can control to a certain extent what a growing mind will link together and what it will ingrain itself as. Adding in different social acceptances as to what's expected of them its a clusterfk. Such as if I were to have 30 children from 20 different women I honestly believe my family would have me neutered.

Shag 05-30-2012 01:00 PM

I read this thread and all I can say is "do you have too much time on your hands while driving...???" :grin:

Fl Fisherman 05-30-2012 01:38 PM

Your not supposed to be texting and driving

emudryj 05-30-2012 02:37 PM


Originally Posted by Blythe1022 (Post 4647795)
Pay more attention to the road while driving. There is a lot of information to process there and you can't do it propperly if your mind is wondering.

Yep.. I knew that someone would point that out and I sincerely appreciate the thought... rest assured that even though my mind was wondering, I was not less aware than on any other day...

It does not mean much but in 17 years of driving, only once had an altercation with a parking garage column that ended with my dad's car rear-right panel badly scratched.... I was 16 and took my dad's car out for a quick-how-to-drive self taught lesson while he was out of the city:grin::grin::grin::grin:.
Try to explain that, when you have been told for at least a year that you will only drive when you get to 18.....:trout::trout:

emudryj 05-30-2012 02:38 PM


Originally Posted by Fl Fisherman (Post 4647940)
Your not supposed to be texting and driving

who's texting?;?

Insteada 05-30-2012 02:42 PM

I was driving the other day and much like you I got to pondering the larger items. Like, do you think that Seth McFarlane makes faces when he is doing the Stewie Griffen voice?

You know, the real important stuff.:grin:

emudryj 05-30-2012 02:49 PM


Originally Posted by notgottaboatyet (Post 4647820)
I think its the human element in both the child and the parents. No one can control to a certain extent what a growing mind will link together and what it will ingrain itself as. Adding in different social acceptances as to what's expected of them its a clusterfk. Such as if I were to have 30 children from 20 different women I honestly believe my family would have me neutered.

Family core, model and values is for sure a contributing factor, but I differ in the social acceptance part... I would go back to the example of the getho poor individual.... most people would follow whats expected of them, but for some reason, a few of those do not accept that and go for more.

emudryj 05-30-2012 03:06 PM


Originally Posted by Insteada (Post 4648082)
I was driving the other day and much like you I got to pondering the larger items. Like, do you think that Seth McFarlane makes faces when he is doing the Stewie Griffen voice?

You know, the real important stuff.:grin:

Hold it right there.....I'm interested on that one too...


nope, he doesn't

Snapper Head 05-30-2012 03:10 PM


Originally Posted by emudryj (Post 4647326)
deep thoughs and my theory about the relation between information and success.

Believe it or not, I'm somewhat weird, and tend to have these what/why/when/how/who moments plenty often...
Today, I was driving and saw an AT&T crew laying some fiber optic... so I started thinking about that thread about shutting down the internet and how would it affect me personally. The first thing that came to my mind is how much I use and would miss google and youtube to learn new things....
I’ve used google and youtube for things from changing the heating element on my water heater or replacing the springs on my friend’s garage door, to a homemade weed killer.

This thought derived on the wild amounts of information available now a days and how easy it is for ANYBODY to reach it....

From there, I went with a basic tenet in my life that says "time is gold, but information is power". Information, information, information.... it's all I ask, as much and as good as possible.
Everybody thinks that making decisions is a BIG DEAL (it really is), but how much easier it is if you have all the info you need to make that decision?... pretty easy.

From there I shifted to separation of classes and how everybody complains now a day about the huge and growing breach between people on the low end of the scale and people on the high end of the scale of classes.
Aside from some random external factors that would not affect my theory (and I can address later), it seems to me that the road to success in the past was based on intuition and/or education.

Both are different ways to process/acquire information used to make decisions.
Wealthy people, were in their majority the ones that could get access to an education; ergo making educated better decisions, and in the minority, the people that without a formal education could see or think in a different manner ergo making better decisions than the common person.

Fast forward to this day... (Contrary to the common belief…) The playing field has been leveled by the internet and electronic methods of communication.
Access to humongous amounts of information is readily available for EVERYBODY.
Does this means that education is not a factor anymore? No, no way... proper education is a wonderful advantage in processing these huge loads of info, not because WHAT is learned during the educational process, but because of the training in ASIMILATING information that one may get during the educational process; but on the overall, it does not weight as much as it did in the past.
I remember when I started my bachelor degree in IT, one of the very first classes, the teacher told us that "even though the approved curriculum was current and up to date, whatever we were going to learn during the course of that program will most likely be irrelevant and outdated by the time we graduate"... in a different context but very true...the point he was making was that what we were learning was not as important as learning to “learn”.

So, why is the breach between the "have" and the "have not" still growing if the playing field has been leveled, and access to information is more readily available to make better decisions?
Why is not everybody making perfect decisions and being successful?
Note: The common notion of “success” would point to economic or financial position, but I’m really pointing to success in a broader way…

I know that I’m over simplifying it and there’s several particular situations that could play a role and I’m not addressing, but bear with me….

My theory says the answer to that is: Natural Selection.
Self-improvement desire (or “greed” as some call it) makes some people more prone to wonder and search for information. With more information they learn and make better decisions, with better decisions they get the luxury to make some mistakes and use these mistakes to learn and gather more information to make better decisions in the future, and so on and so forth…. You get the idea….
Some people on the other hand, simple don’t care about information, so no matter how readily available information is, you can shove it down to them intravenously, they will never use it… or learn from it. They will see the same situation going awry over and over, and keep making the same mistake one time after another…
Aside from a very few and far apart exceptions, this is how I can only explain how some people can be born in a super wealthy environment for example, get a perfect education, but end as poor as the homeless next to them, and some other people may be born in the poorest environment, with all the odds against them, but still excel and be successful.


For whatever reason, this ability is granted in different levels, and Mother Nature decided that only a small percentage of the overall race would get it in some form or shape at all.
As most other animal species, the human being would rapidly adapt to become dependent on somebody or something else for their wellbeing if the choice is given. Once adapted to this state of dependency, breaking from it has proven to be very difficult, ergo perpetuating dependency thru different generations.
If you made it all the way down here without getting bored to death and have a twisted mind like mine, I would be interested on hearing your comments...
What am I missing??? Do you agree?

Pass that bong.


Big Al

emudryj 05-30-2012 04:11 PM


Originally Posted by Snapper Head (Post 4648158)
Pass that bong.


Big Al

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl:

ladyjane 05-30-2012 05:58 PM

yea do not bogort that joint my friend

dbkerley 05-30-2012 05:59 PM

We all rise to our own level of incompetence.

rusbob 05-30-2012 07:07 PM

You should read "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. It goes into some depth as to the factors that go into making people successful. Common intrinsic factors are work ethic (10,000 hours of practice to become an expert) and a minimal IQ (but not necessarily a high one). Extrinsic factors include opportunities (Bill Gates had access to a computer at his high school) and year of birth (how many computer giants existed when Gates started Microsoft?). Very interesting read with lot of examples like Gates, the Beatles, etc.

notgottaboatyet 05-30-2012 07:19 PM


Originally Posted by emudryj (Post 4648107)
Family core, model and values is for sure a contributing factor, but I differ in the social acceptance part... I would go back to the example of the getho poor individual.... most people would follow whats expected of them, but for some reason, a few of those do not accept that and go for more.

My comment earlier was for the slack end of the spectrum.

Me, I feel lazy bc I'm not financially independent yet, but I work 65 hrs a week and am starting a part time gig in my back yard shop that I've rewired and about to put in AC after I finish the ceiling. Got business this weekend as a matter of fact. I've made it a habit to stay steady fking with something otherwise I feel a.d.d. an can't focus on things making me irritable. When I'm at work and waiting on slapdik to catch up I tht bc I would lose it if I had to stare at his lazy arse. I come from a family that makes enough to pay their debts, saves the minimum that they think will be needed, and every time they pay something off they go shopping. My only debt is the mortgage that I look forward to paying off shortly, how short I don't know. Me and the family I've started are going to go way above whats 'expected' of us.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.