Notices

BMW X5 problems.....

Old 05-30-2012, 06:16 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
ScarabChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dania Beach, FL
Posts: 28,075
Default BMW X5 problems.....

I leased my wife a new X5 about 5 weeks ago. I must say it is a beautiful car with every bell and whistle imaginable. This is a pretty high car end for us, I'm almost embarrassed to drive it. I'm a Chevy truck guy.

Anyway.....the thing has been at the dealer more than in our driveway. The damn check engine light has come on for the 5th time in as many weeks. The car barely has 500 miles on it.

How many times do we have to deal with this? It is very time consuming for my wife to drive the car to the dealer, get a loaner wait a few days and go pick it up. This has happened basically every week since we got the car. Pretty freakin inconvenient.

We traded in a 2008 328i which we had for almost 4 years with barely an issue.

The only upside to this is my wife has gotten to drive pretty much every BMW model on the road except the 6 and 7 series as a loaner.
ScarabChris is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 06:35 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 742
Default

Originally Posted by ScarabChris View Post
I leased my wife a new X5 about 5 weeks ago. I must say it is a beautiful car with every bell and whistle imaginable. This is a pretty high car end for us, I'm almost embarrassed to drive it. I'm a Chevy truck guy.

Anyway.....the thing has been at the dealer more than in our driveway. The damn check engine light has come on for the 5th time in as many weeks. The car barely has 500 miles on it.

How many times do we have to deal with this? It is very time consuming for my wife to drive the car to the dealer, get a loaner wait a few days and go pick it up. This has happened basically every week since we got the car. Pretty freakin inconvenient.

We traded in a 2008 328i which we had for almost 4 years with barely an issue.

The only upside to this is my wife has gotten to drive pretty much every BMW model on the road except the 6 and 7 series as a loaner.
Read your agreement and see what the terms for a return would be. Most of the time you're protected from owning a lemon, but I'd talk to the Dealership and consult your lease paperwork.
dickiedoo is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 AM
  #3  
KDM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
KDM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lake Charles, LA
Posts: 5,218
Default

Get a Lexus!!!!!! Problem solved
KDM is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
ScarabChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dania Beach, FL
Posts: 28,075
Default

Originally Posted by KDM View Post
Get a Lexus!!!!!! Problem solved
I guess if I had a problem with my Evinrude you would post "get a Yamaha. problem solved".

Not a very helpful response in either situation. But I'll respond anyway.

No thanks, there is a reason I don't like Lexus. Too expensive for a Japanese car. And I know it is tough these days but when I make a large purchase I try to buy something made in America. The BMW's are built in South Carolina. Yes they use parts from all over the world but American workers are putting them together.

Now....back to the topic at hand.
ScarabChris is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 08:29 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Johnny Dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 10,969
Default

Originally Posted by ScarabChris View Post
I guess if I had a problem with my Evinrude you would post "get a Yamaha. problem solved".

Not a very helpful response in either situation. But I'll respond anyway.

No thanks, there is a reason I don't like Lexus. Too expensive for a Japanese car. And I know it is tough these days but when I make a large purchase I try to buy something made in America. The BMW's are built in South Carolina. Yes they use parts from all over the world but American workers are putting them together.

Now....back to the topic at hand.
I won't state the obvious correlation!!

Anyway, I'd start making polite noises now. Such things as, "Is this normal?" to the service manager. "How long before this becomes one of those "Lemons" I hear about?"
Johnny Dreamer is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 08:30 AM
  #6  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Birmingham / Hessel, MI
Posts: 26,971
Default

Could it be as simple as 'clicking' the gas cap on securely?
cedarholm is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Inside a storm cloud
Posts: 5,722
Default

Do yo have an OBD2 scanner?

Would be interesting to see what the codes are.

The gas cap one mentioned pops up a lot. If it is as simple as that you could tighten it up and just reset it yourself.
Ntrain2k is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 08:50 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
ScarabChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dania Beach, FL
Posts: 28,075
Default

Originally Posted by cedarholm View Post
Could it be as simple as 'clicking' the gas cap on securely?
That was the first thing they mentioned. The first time it happened was just a few days after we took the car home. Still running on the gas that came in the car. But I guess the porter could have not tightened the gas cap. But no that wasn't the problem. Last time they said it was some computer software issue.

Originally Posted by Ntrain2k View Post
Do yo have an OBD2 scanner?

Would be interesting to see what the codes are.

The gas cap one mentioned pops up a lot. If it is as simple as that you could tighten it up and just reset it yourself.
No I don't have a scanner. In my younger years I might have, but I try to do as little work on cars these days as possible. I have my hands full with the boat. LOL

Oh well, lets see what they say this time. They have had the car for two days this week already.

I guess if it happens again we will have to start really making noise. This time when my wife called to schedule the appointment they hinted at her getting her into a "rental car".

She was like hell no! We aren't paying $X00.00 a month to be renting a Ford Focus. Have a BMW loaner ready.

Last time they gave her a bad ass 535. But it had no gas in it. She almost ran out of gas right out of the dealer lot. She barely putted into the nearest gas station.

This time they gave her a new 328i. So much nicer than the 2008 328i we had. They made sure it was full of gas this time.

Its nice to drive a different BMW every week but it's getting old for sure.
ScarabChris is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Inside a storm cloud
Posts: 5,722
Default

They are great to have and can be picked up pretty cheap at harbor freight or ebay.

Mine has been priceless.
Ntrain2k is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 09:37 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 2,660
Default

Look up the Lemon laws in Florida. Most states are the same, or close. NC is 3 times, or 30 days, give the manufacturer a chance to fix, then contact an attorney. He will get a cut, but it'll be worth it!

I know!
NCcarguy is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Palm Beach, Fl.
Posts: 7,144
Default

Be careful with that lease Chris. I leased 3 BMW's for my wife and got stuck with fees every time. I bought the X5 this time. After four BMW's, my rule to live by is NEVER EVER own one not under warranty. Any one of them was in the shop more times than my last four Dodge trucks combined.
debugger is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Squidd Vicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nowhere near Uranus
Posts: 6,684
Default

Buy a ScanGauge2 on Amazon for a little of $100. It pays to know what codes the computer is throwing. Then you can research it on the internet and not let the dealer snow job you.
Squidd Vicious is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:21 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: S. FLA
Posts: 508
Default

What BMW dealership are you dealing with here in Ft. Laud/Miami? You may want to take to another dealer. BMW's are awesome cars so for the check engine light to come on 5 times I would definitely be considering trading it for the same model with same, if not more, options. My old man had the all the 740il models and then got the first year the 745Li came out. All the 740's were flawless the 745Li was nothing but headaches, he finally got to trade for same car and same options and headaches went away...Sometimes it's just the car itself...maybe it was made on Monday? ..lol
reeferog is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:22 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: north miami beach Fl.
Posts: 4,384
Angry

Originally Posted by NCcarguy View Post
Look up the Lemon laws in Florida. Most states are the same, or close. NC is 3 times, or 30 days, give the manufacturer a chance to fix, then contact an attorney. He will get a cut, but it'll be worth it!

I know!
usually get a book on lemon law with new car...I think it is also 3 times no fix same problem...it's a lemon...

sorry to hear your problems chris...my son will only drive BMW's
he has had 4...one was really crap... they ended lease early and made good deal on a new one

I had a Z4 for 2yrs...not really the quality I expected and for the $$$$
evernic is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:23 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 824
Default

This is a brand new lease, why the hell would he invest $100 on a tool for a car he is leasing?
the_gooch is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:27 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
ScarabChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dania Beach, FL
Posts: 28,075
Default

Originally Posted by debugger View Post
Be careful with that lease Chris. I leased 3 BMW's for my wife and got stuck with fees every time. I bought the X5 this time. After four BMW's, my rule to live by is NEVER EVER own one not under warranty. Any one of them was in the shop more times than my last four Dodge trucks combined.
We have leased a few cars. This one will get very low milage, the lease allows 12,000 a year for the 3 year lease. Her last one we just traded in (the 2008 328) only had 20,000 miles after we had it for nearly 4 years.

In the lease plan we also got the tire package which includes new tires paid for weather they get destroyed with nails or just wear and tear. Basically we will never have to pay for tires all at once. Just a few extra bucks on the payment covers tires. And at $350 a pop for these run flats I think it's worth it.

We also got the scratch/ding/dent protection. If the car ever gets a scratch/ding or dent they fix it.

We didn't want any charges piled on top at the end. I would rather pay a little extra every month and have it covered. They want that car back in new condition so they can sell it as a certified pre owned.

And ditto on never owning one out of warranty. That's why the wife gets a new car every 3-4 years.

Originally Posted by Squidd Vicious View Post
Buy a ScanGauge2 on Amazon for a little of $100. It pays to know what codes the computer is throwing. Then you can research it on the internet and not let the dealer snow job you.
I hear ya on the scanner guys. And it may come in handy, especially on a car that is out of warranty. But this is a brand new BMW, I don't even want to say what the sticker price was. I shouldn't have to do anything to the car but put gas in it and wash it during this 3 year lease.

Just like if you bought a brand new boat with a brand new outboard. If it starts shooting check engine lights would you be OK with buying tools and equipment to try and troubleshoot it yourself when it's only 5 weeks old and has 10 hours on it? I think not, you want the dealer to fix the damn thing and not take 5 visits in the first 5 weeks to figure it out.
ScarabChris is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:32 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
ScarabChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dania Beach, FL
Posts: 28,075
Default

Originally Posted by reeferog View Post
What BMW dealership are you dealing with here in Ft. Laud/Miami? You may want to take to another dealer. BMW's are awesome cars so for the check engine light to come on 5 times I would definitely be considering trading it for the same model with same, if not more, options. My old man had the all the 740il models and then got the first year the 745Li came out. All the 740's were flawless the 745Li was nothing but headaches, he finally got to trade for same car and same options and headaches went away...Sometimes it's just the car itself...maybe it was made on Monday? ..lol
Lauderdale BMW.

Originally Posted by the_gooch View Post
This is a brand new lease, why the hell would he invest $100 on a tool for a car he is leasing?
Exactly. Shouldn't have to touch the thing. Hopefully they will figure it out this time. I'm not so sure the lemon law needs to come into play just yet. The car drives fine. It just sucks to see that little orange check engine light on the dash of a brand new car that costs....well lets just say it cost well over what I paid for my 35' boat. Granted my boat is 15 years old...but still.
ScarabChris is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:34 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
ScarabChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dania Beach, FL
Posts: 28,075
Default

Nice looking car. And with the inline 6 cylinder twin turbo it has some balls. I just wish it was parked here in my driveway more often than the dealer.

ScarabChris is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:47 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 4,447
Default

I have a buddy who bought a 2010 X5. His car was back at BMW at least once a month. After 2 years he turned it in, and just got a 2012 Jeep. I know a few other people who have had similar stories with BMW's. I wish you luck.
beber is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:57 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: S. FLA
Posts: 508
Default

Not a fan of Lauderdale BMW..small dealership, poor service times and they tried to stiff the old man with the $4000 bill for the BMW iDrive system and left him with no gas as you mentioned.

I live right down the street from the BMW service side on Andrews and I always see these guys whipping up the streets testing the cars and using them to go places, like McDonalds..lol

Vista and Braman BMW are great dealers.... South Motors BMW is awesome but very far, I would start dealing with one of them.
reeferog is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread