Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Help me decide on a business to open

Notices

Help me decide on a business to open

Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 281
Question Help me decide on a business to open

Hi,

I need some advice on what business to open. Im 27 years old, just graduated with two degrees, one in Accounting and the other in Business. I have inherited a small building (maybe 1000 soft) in a small town with about 2500 population according to the census. I am looking for something that will be self-sustaining or that I wont have to go to everyday. This is not going to be my main job (already have an accounting job lined up).

Any ideas for businesses? I thought about a ice vending machine but they are $118,000 and require about 50 bags of ice to be sold just to break even. Thought about a pawn shop but that requires me to be there because there would be to much cash going over the counter.

Got any idea??
Smoak352 is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 03:59 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Land O Lakes, FL
Posts: 3,507
Default

Internet store.
Jonesy23 is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 04:05 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
PLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Snapper Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Republic of West Florida - the ORIGINAL lone star state
Posts: 17,772
Default

Hookers & Blow.


Big Al
Snapper Head is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 04:10 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Athens, GA/ Pine Harbor, Ga
Posts: 3,703
Default

Can you rent it out? Let someone else worry about what business.
Dillard88 is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 04:13 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,347
Default

Loation Location Location - You are pretty much limited to mail or e business from what you have said so far - right?
LI Sound Grunt is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 04:37 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,479
Default

How about a store?
Fl Fisherman is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 04:54 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Squidd Vicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nowhere near Uranus
Posts: 6,684
Default

Originally Posted by Dillard88 View Post
Can you rent it out? Let someone else worry about what business.
x2 Good Advice. Get them in on a triple net lease and sit back and collect the rent.
Squidd Vicious is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:02 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 9,059
Default

Sounds like a great location for a mini west marine!
Flot is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:02 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Johnny Dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 10,969
Default

Originally Posted by Snapper Head View Post
Hookers & Blow.


Big Al
I'm new here, but I'm beginning to see a pattern.
Johnny Dreamer is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:02 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,786
Default

24 hour gym..............
alligatorgar is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:05 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
ufg8rmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 1,692
Default

Originally Posted by Dillard88 View Post
Can you rent it out? Let someone else worry about what business.

With what the OP describes, this is by far the best option!
ufg8rmike is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:06 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Johnny Dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 10,969
Default

Originally Posted by Smoak352 View Post
Hi,

I need some advice on what business to open. Im 27 years old, just graduated with two degrees, one in Accounting and the other in Business. I have inherited a small building (maybe 1000 soft) in a small town with about 2500 population according to the census. I am looking for something that will be self-sustaining or that I wont have to go to everyday. This is not going to be my main job (already have an accounting job lined up).

Any ideas for businesses? I thought about a ice vending machine but they are $118,000 and require about 50 bags of ice to be sold just to break even. Thought about a pawn shop but that requires me to be there because there would be to much cash going over the counter.

Got any idea??

Open a business incubator space. With your business and accounting background and a free building, it could be a fun thing to do.

Or a massive PITA.
Johnny Dreamer is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:07 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 729
Default

If you have a degree is business than you already understand about demographics and retail outlets? What could you possibly sell in a population of 2,500 that could make business? A pizzeria...maybe? Is there traffic? Tourism? Have you run through any business plans?

I agree that the best bet might be to lease it out and/or subdivide it into two 500sq' spaces.
DandH is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
ufg8rmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 1,692
Default

Originally Posted by DandH View Post
If you have a degree is business than you already understand about demographics and retail outlets? What could you possibly sell in a population of 2,500 that could make business? A pizzeria...maybe? Is there traffic? Tourism? Have you run through any business plans?

I agree that the best bet might be to lease it out and/or subdivide it into two 500sq' spaces.
I would imagine a dollar store would be the best option in a town that size but I wouldn't want to try running one, especially if I had another career.
ufg8rmike is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:18 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
ladyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lake champlain vermont
Posts: 30,178
Default

Rent it and get some experance workin for others
ladyjane is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:39 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: De
Posts: 2,496
Default

Sell the building.
Striper In is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:45 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,479
Default

Oyster Bar Steam Shrimp
Fl Fisherman is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:46 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,479
Default

Flea market
Fl Fisherman is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:47 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,479
Default

Storage Bldg?
Fl Fisherman is offline  
Old 05-30-2012, 05:49 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,203
Default

strip club. free beer and lap dances for THT members.
Snakebit1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread