Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Massachusetts, home of ridiculous fees and taxes!

Notices

Massachusetts, home of ridiculous fees and taxes!

Old 04-15-2012, 01:06 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gloucester, Ma.
Posts: 955
Default Massachusetts, home of ridiculous fees and taxes!

So I want to get my captains license and one of the things the coast guard requires is your criminal history, if any.
I got into some minor trouble in my late teens but for the life of me I can't remember the charges or when they occurred.
I know that the coast guard will give me the license based on the list of "acceptable" offenses and time required to have passed since said offenses occurred. I also know that if I don't disclose fully and accurately these items it will result in immediate refusal of my license app.

So I need to get this information from my fine state, which I have been a tax paying citizen my whole life, my criminal history report.
They want $25.00 for the record, I think o.k. no surprise there. Then I read further down I must provide a self addressed stamped envelope! WTF!!!
It's not the money, obviously as boaters if we dont have $25.00 to spare then we shouldn't be boating. It's the principal behind the whole thing. I mean come on we give free food stamps, health care and housing to illegal, no tax paying immigrants in this F-ing state!
1rider is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 01:11 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Schmaltz~Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cruising Lake Titikacka On My 18' Bayliner Element With 60 HP Optimax's
Posts: 17,344
Default

Paying for a criminal history is quite usual in Georgia, fee is the same.
Schmaltz~Herring is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 01:31 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,846
Default

They don't call it "Taxachusetts" for nothing...
RedSoxMan is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 01:56 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 7,961
Default

So? In NJ, just to get a firearms owner card (no firearms involved), the fees are about $60 for fingerprinting, $5 for the municipality, and a stamped self-addressed envelope. That includes the background check. I think I also had to provide stamped envelopes for my character references questionnaires but none for their replies to the local PD. These tend to be for reimbursement of direct costs, and I have no issue with paying them.
t3rockhall is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 02:18 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West of my Right mind...
Posts: 4,273
Default

Hint, hint,.....they don't call it the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for nothing........!!!!
Uncas is online now  
Old 04-15-2012, 02:57 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Weymouth, Ma.
Posts: 2,078
Default

Hey Rider

The reason they want the stamp on the envelope is if they supplied stamps then the state employees would have access to an endless supply of stamps to steal and take home or sell.
hottoddie is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 03:17 PM
  #7  
CJS
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Adrift
Posts: 5,842
Default

Originally Posted by hottoddie View Post
Hey Rider

The reason they want the stamp on the envelope is if they supplied stamps then the state employees would have access to an endless supply of stamps to steal and take home or sell.
Plus, most are not capable of transcribing your address from
the application to the envelope correctly.
CJS is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 04:37 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,096
Default

Originally Posted by t3rockhall View Post
So? In NJ, just to get a firearms owner card (no firearms involved), the fees are about $60 for fingerprinting, $5 for the municipality, and a stamped self-addressed envelope. That includes the background check. I think I also had to provide stamped envelopes for my character references questionnaires but none for their replies to the local PD. These tend to be for reimbursement of direct costs, and I have no issue with paying them.
I paid way more than that to get my carry pernit(can't own a handgun without it in MA). Best part was I had to take a class AND join a gun club BEfORE I could own a gun. If I got turned down what the hell would I do with a gun club membership.

So happy I moved out of there in 2007.
bjm9818 is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 06:58 PM
  #9  
gf
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 12,975
Default

Move along, 1rider. I don't think anyone here finds this ridiculous. I do find it surprising that you can't remember what type of trouble you got in with the law when you were in your teens.
gf is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 08:17 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gloucester, Ma.
Posts: 955
Default

Originally Posted by hottoddie View Post
Hey Rider

The reason they want the stamp on the envelope is if they supplied stamps then the state employees would have access to an endless supply of stamps to steal and take home or sell.
Very true!
1rider is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 08:49 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gloucester, Ma.
Posts: 955
Default

Originally Posted by gf View Post
Move along, 1rider. I don't think anyone here finds this ridiculous. I do find it surprising that you can't remember what type of trouble you got in with the law when you were in your teens.
GF, I don't know what your problem is but I think it is you who needs to move on. I will never understand why people like who have nothing good to say have to make these toxic posts that are nothing but offensive, just MOVE ON.

It is very presumptuous of you to speak for others on here, "I don't think anyone here finds this ridiculous". To that point I think the contrasting example I made of my paying for these items as a life long taxpayer when our fine state hands out our tax dollars to illegal immigrants is a good example of ridiculousness, if you do not, well....

As to your surprise, it was a long long time ago and it is the sort of thing, at least for me that I try to leave behind me, it was not a good stretch in my life. Could I name the charges, probably but I don't know specific dates which is what the coast guard requires, SPECIFIC or automatic denial.

Thanks for your contribution.
1rider is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 'Questa, FL
Posts: 3,111
Default

I guess since everyone else get's a free handout you should too?

It's only $25.39 You could always a private investigator 50 bucks to do it if it makes you feel any better.

FWIW it's only 24 bucks down here with no stamp so... HA
aiian is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gloucester, Ma.
Posts: 955
Default

Nope don't want anything for free, I have paid state income tax my entire working life, however as I said its not the money it's the principal.
1rider is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 03:16 AM
  #14  
CJS
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Adrift
Posts: 5,842
Default

Originally Posted by gf View Post
Move along, 1rider. I don't think anyone here finds this ridiculous. I do find it surprising that you can't remember what type of trouble you got in with the law when you were in your teens.
17 thru 21 are a complete blur to me. I'm still waiting for the
flashbacks they promised I would have.
CJS is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 04:40 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 6,197
Default

Anything that needs a stamp now is a pia..I needed to actually mail something the other day, just the act of getting a stamp was a such an annoyance.

On MA taxes, they are a bunch of crooks. Living in NH, working in MA I am not thrilled to pay income tax for the pleasure of sitting on 128. Still don't know what happened to no taxation without representation. I don't now how they justify taking my money. But they do.
Boat Hound is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 05:27 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,360
Default

I also would say just let it go. You are gonna have many much bigger battles to choose to get juiced over. The trend in Government to reduce costs to all taxpayers is to charge for more services that not everyone uses. A as a taxpayer user fees are fine with me.
LI Sound Grunt is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 05:47 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Because Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PA & NJ
Posts: 5,939
Default

You're going to bitch about a stamp and envelope? Christ, I'll send you a stamp and a blank envelope if times are that tough for you. Just forward me a SASE so that I can send it to you.
Because Boat is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gloucester, Ma.
Posts: 955
Default

Originally Posted by Because Boat View Post
You're going to bitch about a stamp and envelope? Christ, I'll send you a stamp and a blank envelope if times are that tough for you. Just forward me a SASE so that I can send it to you.
Does anyone read anymore!! For the final time I don't give a crap about the fee as it says in my initial post!! It is the principal of government hand outs to non residents and a taxpayer being charged for every little piece of paper.
Sorry I posted this, it was merely a rant, nothing more.
1rider is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:13 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Because Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PA & NJ
Posts: 5,939
Default

Originally Posted by 1rider View Post
Does anyone read anymore!! For the final time I don't give a crap about the fee as it says in my initial post!! It is the principal of government hand outs to non residents and a taxpayer being charged for every little piece of paper.
Sorry I posted this, it was merely a rant, nothing more.
Yes, we all read it.

Originally Posted by 1rider View Post
So I want to get my captains license and one of the things the coast guard requires is your criminal history, if any.
I got into some minor trouble in my late teens but for the life of me I can't remember the charges or when they occurred.
I know that the coast guard will give me the license based on the list of "acceptable" offenses and time required to have passed since said offenses occurred. I also know that if I don't disclose fully and accurately these items it will result in immediate refusal of my license app.

So I need to get this information from my fine state, which I have been a tax paying citizen my whole life, my criminal history report.
They want $25.00 for the record, I think o.k. no surprise there. Then I read further down I must provide a self addressed stamped envelope! WTF!!!It's not the money, obviously as boaters if we dont have $25.00 to spare then we shouldn't be boating. It's the principal behind the whole thing. I mean come on we give free food stamps, health care and housing to illegal, no tax paying immigrants in this F-ing state!
You are ok with the $25, but then you throw out a "WTF!!!" after the part about the SASE.
Because Boat is offline  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,629
Default

Isn't this a conundrum.

Complain that you're taxed too much, demand lower taxes.

State decides to no longer supply stamps and envelopes for applications since taxpayers didn't want to pay for them.

Now taxpayer wants state to pay for his stamps and envelopes yet still complains about too-high taxes.

And you compain about people wanting stuff for free.....
uncljohn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread