Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Bermudians need 300 more signatures to BAN LONG LINERS

Notices

Bermudians need 300 more signatures to BAN LONG LINERS

Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,884
Default Bermudians need 300 more signatures to BAN LONG LINERS

I received an email from a friend in Bermuda requesting help....

Below I copied and pasted the narative and link to help these guys out. This really affects all of us, and not just Bermuda. Some foreign government is in the pockets of some Bermuda officials if they are willing to even consider this.... or they're are just stupid. They only need 1000 total signatures to get their attention and they already have 750 ish.

Thanks for the help THT -


Action:

This petition is about protecting our marine environment.

That's why I signed a petition to Bermuda Government, which says:

"The Bermuda Government has started talks aimed at licensing foreign fishing vessels that catch fish in Bermuda’s 200-mile maritime exclusive economic zone. These fishermen often use long-lines to catch fish. This method of fishing reaps indiscriminate, wholesale destruction upon our fragile marine environment. We believe that Bermuda would be far better off if it managed its marine environment with the aim of developing eco-tourism. We conclude that the economies of eco-tourism far outweigh the economies of long-line fishing. We therefore ask that the Bermuda Government take a stand on the side of our marine environment and pass legislation which bans long-line fishing."

Will you sign the petition too? Click here to add your name:

http://signon.org/sign/ban-long-line...d&r_by=3092946
pinnaclemarine is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 08:42 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kill Devil Hills N.C.
Posts: 808
Default

Everyone wants to visit or live in a fishing village, but no one wants to smell the fish...It makes me sick to see Anti Commercial Fishing Groups...What Happens when ALL FISHING IS BANNED? Do you support that too...Might be coming to a Village near you.....
Gene Ashton is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:30 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: RI
Posts: 6,440
Default

Originally Posted by Gene Ashton View Post
Everyone wants to visit or live in a fishing village, but no one wants to smell the fish...It makes me sick to see Anti Commercial Fishing Groups...What Happens when ALL FISHING IS BANNED? Do you support that too...Might be coming to a Village near you.....
I guess I am not everyone. Haven't eaten swordfish in years as it is primarily a long line caught species. Long line fishing in fact indiscriminately kills and is rather destructive to the billfish fishery in general.
BACKTOTHESEA is online now  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:57 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kill Devil Hills N.C.
Posts: 808
Default

Any hook can indiscrimiately kill a Non Targeted fish.......Whats the difference? A Hooks a Hook...I'm just saying, look whats happened to other fish species when Sportfishermen wanted them to be Banned to Commercial fishing...Now some are Banned to Sportfishing too...Better Watch what you ask for............JMO
Gene Ashton is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:02 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
triumphrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Masaryktown, Fla.
Posts: 17,124
Default

Originally Posted by Gene Ashton View Post
Everyone wants to visit or live in a fishing village, but no one wants to smell the fish...It makes me sick to see Anti Commercial Fishing Groups...What Happens when ALL FISHING IS BANNED? Do you support that too...Might be coming to a Village near you.....
They have to start somewhere...

You should have heard the ruckess in Florida back in '94 when we passed the Ban the Nets initiative...

Before it was passed, all those guys at all those little fishing villages were out there with their families crying their tale of woe...

Their daddys had done it, their grandaddys had done it...

I'll tell you what I had seen them do for over ten years i lived on the intercoastal in Englewood, Fl.

I saw them come thru at night blocking the whole end of the canals...gill netting everything in their way. They moved their boats quickly and power loaded...taking every fish they netted. Nope, no culling going on. Except when it was mullet roe season.

Then the bastards just gutted the mullet for the roe, and left the carcasses for us to wade thru to launch our boats...

Oh yeah, they cared all right. They cared when they got caught, and the good 'ol boy network kicked in and they faced those huge $200 fines...

We don't miss the Florida gill netters.

Commercial fishing is a $700 million dollar industry in our state.

Recreational fishing is a $3 BILLION dollar industry.

I bet the Bahamas won't miss the long liners...
triumphrick is online now  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:07 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: lakemango fl
Posts: 164
Default

I signed
mangoinboard is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:31 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,884
Default

Just to clarify....The petition is not to ban long-lining everywhere, just within the "Bermuda’s 200-mile maritime exclusive economic zone"

I would be a liitle disturbed if I had a Japanese flagged vessel / longliner crew waving at me when I am out pulling up Yellowfin on my favorite floater here in the Gulf. When that gets ready to happen, I will be submitting my own petition.
pinnaclemarine is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:37 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kill Devil Hills N.C.
Posts: 808
Default

Originally Posted by triumphrick View Post
They have to start somewhere...

You should have heard the ruckess in Florida back in '94 when we passed the Ban the Nets initiative...

Before it was passed, all those guys at all those little fishing villages were out there with their families crying their tale of woe...

Their daddys had done it, their grandaddys had done it...

I'll tell you what I had seen them do for over ten years i lived on the intercoastal in Englewood, Fl.

I saw them come thru at night blocking the whole end of the canals...gill netting everything in their way. They moved their boats quickly and power loaded...taking every fish they netted. Nope, no culling going on. Except when it was mullet roe season.

Then the bastards just gutted the mullet for the roe, and left the carcasses for us to wade thru to launch our boats...

Oh yeah, they cared all right. They cared when they got caught, and the good 'ol boy network kicked in and they faced those huge $200 fines...

We don't miss the Florida gill netters.

Commercial fishing is a $700 million dollar industry in our state.

Recreational fishing is a $3 BILLION dollar industry.

I bet the Bahamas won't miss the long liners...




WAS A 3 billion Industry...........FUZZY MATH...
Gene Ashton is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 01:17 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mass.
Posts: 5,584
Default

Originally Posted by Gene Ashton View Post
Any hook can indiscrimiately kill a Non Targeted fish.......Whats the difference? A Hooks a Hook...I'm just saying, look whats happened to other fish species when Sportfishermen wanted them to be Banned to Commercial fishing...Now some are Banned to Sportfishing too...Better Watch what you ask for............JMO
Seriously dude?

Your comparing longlining to single hook rod and reel. You must be joking.
On The Edge 1 is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 01:47 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
triumphrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Masaryktown, Fla.
Posts: 17,124
Default

Originally Posted by Gene Ashton View Post
WAS A 3 billion Industry...........FUZZY MATH...

Great retort...if that's all you have then I'm not too worried about you boys coming back with your gill nets......

But every year you try. Seine nets and cast nets can still be used; but there are size limits.

What you folks keep doing every year is trying to get that 50' long cast net approved.

Or you try and get that seine net size moved up to around 2.5"...and now it has become a gill net.

But the same grass roots organization that fought so hard back in the 90's is still very wary of you folks today. So, knowing that you will never stop trying keeps us ever vigilant.
triumphrick is online now  
Old 03-09-2012, 03:25 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kill Devil Hills N.C.
Posts: 808
Default

Originally Posted by On The Edge 1 View Post
Seriously dude?

Your comparing longlining to single hook rod and reel. You must be joking.



Dude, Both Commercial and Sport Fishermen KILL FISH....The only difference sometimes is the type Gear....You guys get way to serious..And the Commercial Guys aren't trying to put you out of work.....
Gene Ashton is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 04:59 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mass.
Posts: 5,584
Default

you talk like a typical longliner.
On The Edge 1 is offline  
Old 03-14-2012, 11:46 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kill Devil Hills N.C.
Posts: 808
Default

Originally Posted by On The Edge 1 View Post
you talk like a typical longliner.



Your all wet............Never Long Lined, only watch the show...But I do see Sporties like yourself led astray by the CCA and other groups to try to put Commercial Guys out of Business....The ECO-NUTZ also want SportFishing stopped too....By Spliting the 2 user groups up it makes it much more easy...Both fisheries KILL FISH............More than you admit to...We'll all be eating Imported Seafood before long...

Keep up your "GOOD WORK"
Gene Ashton is offline  
Old 03-15-2012, 05:39 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mass.
Posts: 5,584
Default

Originally Posted by Gene Ashton View Post
Your all wet............Never Long Lined, only watch the show...But I do see Sporties like yourself led astray by the CCA and other groups to try to put Commercial Guys out of Business....The ECO-NUTZ also want SportFishing stopped too....By Spliting the 2 user groups up it makes it much more easy...Both fisheries KILL FISH............More than you admit to...We'll all be eating Imported Seafood before long...

Keep up your "GOOD WORK"
Sporties like me? As if you knew anyting about who i am or what i do. I happen to fish the comm side. The fact that you think Sport and PLL are the same for the simple fact that both kill fish only shows your true lack of knowledge and reason. Comparing rec sport fisherman or Comm R&R to PLL is like comparing A 10 year old on the dock to Sporties.
On The Edge 1 is offline  
Old 03-15-2012, 08:05 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bermuda
Posts: 892
Default

I live in Bermuda and any help we can get for this petition is appreciated.
edale99 is offline  
Old 03-15-2012, 12:56 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kill Devil Hills N.C.
Posts: 808
Default

Originally Posted by On The Edge 1 View Post
Sporties like me? As if you knew anyting about who i am or what i do. I happen to fish the comm side. The fact that you think Sport and PLL are the same for the simple fact that both kill fish only shows your true lack of knowledge and reason. Comparing rec sport fisherman or Comm R&R to PLL is like comparing A 10 year old on the dock to Sporties.




Let me guess You Commercial fish out of a Sportfishing rig for the tax deduction?
I bet you long line too....
Gene Ashton is offline  
Old 03-15-2012, 01:52 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mass.
Posts: 5,584
Default

Originally Posted by Gene Ashton View Post
Let me guess You Commercial fish out of a Sportfishing rig for the tax deduction?
I bet you long line too....

You guess to much, and know to little.

You could not be further from the truth on both counts.
On The Edge 1 is offline  
Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bass River & Boston
Posts: 2,772
Default

The problem is 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish, with MY tax dollars. Do it with no hand outs, more power to ya.
Tbrodes is offline  
Old 03-16-2012, 04:43 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 742
Default

F#ck long lining, netters or any other commercial outfit. They are the reason the oceans fish populations are in the dump. I signed this, and so will my friends, and their families.

Any idiot saying sport vs. commercial is comparable has no idea what the hell they are talking about. I've never seen a sport boat senselessly kill this magnitude of sea creatures.
dickiedoo is offline  
Old 03-19-2012, 05:37 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bermuda
Posts: 892
Default

The Bermuda government has backed down and now will not license foreign owned long liners in the region. Thanks for all the help and the petition was actually mentioned in their statement on the subject.
edale99 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread