Notices

Dpms m4

Old 03-08-2012, 04:02 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 9,260
Default Dpms m4

Since we all love guns around here so much I was wondering if you guys had any feedback about them. I know I could build one but I want to buy one first to see what the AR type is about.

Is there a model that is M4 noobie friendly??

Thanks!

CaptKennyW is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 04:26 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,815
Default

I have one of these

http://www.dggtaser.com/p-1451-dpms-...-flat-top.aspx

(it is actually a flat top model even thou the picture shows a handle)

I have about 500 round through it and no issues

I also have an issued DMPS Ar 15 at work...It has had about 2500 rounds through it by me and no issues...
Cracker is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 04:43 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kent Narrows, MD
Posts: 7,090
Default

check out ar15.com

In a few hours of reading you will have a better idea of what you want and don't want
Elusive is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 05:06 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Hammond, LA
Posts: 17,418
Default

they get great reviews and are well priced
if you can find one to buy youre a better man than me
cgrand is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 05:07 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,815
Default

Originally Posted by Elusive View Post
check out ar15.com

In a few hours of reading you will have a better idea of what you want and don't want
Are you saying the DPMS is not a descent rifle? just curious? He asked a specific question?
Cracker is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 05:25 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,930
Default

I have a DPMS on the AR-10 platform and it's a damned fine rifle. If you are looking at a DPMS M4 at the right price go for it. Hard to go wrong.
Shag is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 07:46 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 9,260
Default

M4, AR they are pretty much the same right? The M4 has a shorter barrel being the main difference right?
CaptKennyW is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,815
Default

Originally Posted by CaptKennyW View Post
M4, AR they are pretty much the same right? The M4 has a shorter barrel being the main difference right?

Not 100 percent certain but I think an M4 is capable of rapid fire and semi auto fire.

An AR 15 is the civilian little brother meaning its a semi auto version only.
Cracker is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 12:47 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kent Narrows, MD
Posts: 7,090
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Are you saying the DPMS is not a descent rifle? just curious? He asked a specific question?
His specific question was: "Is there a model that is M4 noobie friendly??"

This question indicates very little understanding of the subject and I suggested a great resource to be able to make a more informed decision


AR-15 refers to a class of firearms with many variations. These variations include different calibers, barrel lengths, stock types, etc. They are semi-automatic and can be purchased and used by civilians

An M4 is a military/LEO weapon that is 5.56 caliber with a collapsible stock and a carbine length barrel. It is capable of fully automatic fire and for purposes of this discussion, not available to civilians.

So the answer to the question is no, there are no noobie friendly M4's.

There are, however, many mfgs of AR-15's with the same characteristics of an M4 in semi-automatic.

The standard by which all AR-15's are measure is Colt. Like boats, there are different levels of quality (tiers). Colt is considered to be upper tier, DPMS is not.

Colt models 6920 & 6921 are examples of AR-15's that are similar to the M4.
Elusive is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 04:32 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Struggleville
Posts: 7,525
Default

Kenny, WalMart is carrying the DPMS now. A friend called me and said that walmart is going black gun crazy. He said the DPMS is going for $550. That is a GREAT deal. Make sure it's not just a 223, you'll want a 5.56 which will shoot both.
Bugbuster is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 08:40 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 9,260
Default

Originally Posted by Bugbuster View Post
Kenny, WalMart is carrying the DPMS now. A friend called me and said that walmart is going black gun crazy. He said the DPMS is going for $550. That is a GREAT deal. Make sure it's not just a 223, you'll want a 5.56 which will shoot both.

The wal mart by me doesnt sell guns, i be in the hood remember??

But Thanks to the above I will check out the AR forums.
CaptKennyW is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:01 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lower Florida Keys
Posts: 3,129
Default

I carry a RRA M4.

I would recommend a RRA A4.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=218
meii is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:38 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,815
Default

Originally Posted by Elusive View Post
His specific question was: "Is there a model that is M4 noobie friendly??"

This question indicates very little understanding of the subject and I suggested a great resource to be able to make a more informed decision


AR-15 refers to a class of firearms with many variations. These variations include different calibers, barrel lengths, stock types, etc. They are semi-automatic and can be purchased and used by civilians

An M4 is a military/LEO weapon that is 5.56 caliber with a collapsible stock and a carbine length barrel. It is capable of fully automatic fire and for purposes of this discussion, not available to civilians.

So the answer to the question is no, there are no noobie friendly M4's.

There are, however, many mfgs of AR-15's with the same characteristics of an M4 in semi-automatic.

The standard by which all AR-15's are measure is Colt. Like boats, there are different levels of quality (tiers). Colt is considered to be upper tier, DPMS is not.

Colt models 6920 & 6921 are examples of AR-15's that are similar to the M4.
Dont get excited....This post was actually what he probably wanted, he did not ask should I check a site... Good response BTW...
Cracker is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread