Notices

S**t-uation at work..

Old 03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,070
Default S**t-uation at work..

My coworker was out today and I have to take on his responsibilities. Ok great I get to work at my own constant pace. Over an hour into the day a 50ish yr old man comes over and says he is going to help with my project but he has to learn the ins and outs. Ok still. An hour or so later my supervisor asks me why he isn't contributing. "He said he wasn't comfortable with it". An hour or so later my supervisor's bosses boss comes and asks the samething and gets the same answer. I ask my brand new old helper what he planned to do and he made it clear he's planning on not doing anything. I'm now doing the job of myself and two other people. Great! The older man has worked here a very long time.

I'm 21 and am in a good position but I still don't feel like I should be the one to put a 50 something to work.

Any suggestions? (Besides telling management to do their freaking job)

Last edited by THT Mod 7; 03-07-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: profanity editied from title
notgottaboatyet is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 09:29 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Hammond, LA
Posts: 17,418
Default

i would bring the airsoft pellet machine gun to the office, then ask if anyone has any suggestions for you
cgrand is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 09:53 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Aberdeen, NJ
Posts: 1,637
Default

Here is the safest recommendation. Don't do or say anything other than do everything you can to get the job done. Take a deep breath and paste a smile on your face. Tomorrow is another day and hopefully your co-worker will be back in the office.
dlevitt is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:06 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 620
Default

Learn to delegate and stop worrying about the age difference if you are in charge of the work. This could be an oppourtunity for you to show what you can do. If you can't manage one person what is the outlook for you moving up in the company?
straps57 is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,917
Default

Nottgottaboatyet, you are to provide the blood, sweat and tears for other mens dreams. Work as hard as you can keep your head down and dont make waves, and hope for a .50 an hour raise this year. Or open up your own buisness. Those are your choices. The wheels at your workplace obviously know whats going on and this is their sollution. Every new hire goes throught this in some form or another. The problem is not them but you.
The 50 something years old guy has protection after he turned 40.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_Dis...Employment_Act
alligatorgar is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:13 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DE
Posts: 2,106
Default

Kindly set expectations about what needs to get done and advise your coworker the fair share that you plan to complete and the fair share he is expected to complete. Ask if he has any concerns/suggestions with the plan and work out any compromises.
This leaves it up to him to either be a business partner or hang himself with common understanding between you.
starmonk is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:18 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Downeast, North Carolina
Posts: 6,131
Default

Originally Posted by dlevitt View Post
Here is the safest recommendation. Don't do or say anything other than do everything you can to get the job done. Take a deep breath and paste a smile on your face. Tomorrow is another day and hopefully your co-worker will be back in the office.
X2

When I first started in the HVAC business, I knew I was outperforming the rest of the guys. We had a lot of "older" guys that came with companies through mergers or acquisitions. It took about 2 years before one day the owner and I had "words" about the situation. The result was, I got my independent contractors license and subcontracted for the oil company. A couple years later, I had 6 trucks and ran the service for my region.

Point is, at 21 years old, people don't think you know shet, don't open your mouth and prove them right. Use this opportunity to learn and show what you've got. It might take awhile, but the right people will notice.
davedowneast is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Not in Texas
Posts: 10,213
Default

I suggest keeping your personal problems to yourself when at work, give your employer an honest day's labor for an honest day's pay, and stay out of the politics of who is and who isn't doing what tasks until such time as you are the boss.
Eyeball is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:22 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,131
Default

Don't defend yourself like I would do because you'll only get a ride on the band bus
Garett is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,052
Default

It all pays the same. Do what you are asked to and keep quiet. That should get you noticed. (patience)
MAXIMUM B is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:38 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DE
Posts: 2,106
Default

Originally Posted by Eyeball View Post
I suggest keeping your personal problems to yourself when at work, give your employer an honest day's labor for an honest day's pay, and stay out of the politics of who is and who isn't doing what tasks until such time as you are the boss.
With due respect Eyeball, if Im the boss and I send you a worker and he sits on his ass all day and the job barely gets done with much higher risks because the guy who i sent you doesnt contribute I would ask why I wasnt notified of the issue and hold you responsible for all the above.
It is simple as I said - kindly set expectations and ask if any questions or concerns. Work out any compromises dividing up the work. This way you have put forth a plan.
If the guy want to be a jackass, call the boss and understand his expectations for the guy he sent you. Explain the discussed plan and what his response/reaction was.
I just wouldnt turn my eye on someone who refuses to cooperate and collects a check for it.
starmonk is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 180
Default

Just get it done! A good employer knows who's doing the job. And next time just figure it out instead of complaining to people outide your company. That's the problem with this country, people want to bitch about work, everyone wants to make a million bucks, but many do NOTHING! Just get the job done! at least you have a job!!!
jbuchanan is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,203
Default

Originally Posted by jbuchanan View Post
Just get it done! A good employer knows who's doing the job. And next time just figure it out instead of complaining to people outide your company. That's the problem with this country, people want to bitch about work, everyone wants to make a million bucks, but many do NOTHING! Just get the job done! at least you have a job!!!
really, let the guy get credit for nothing. id give him a chance to contribute or send him packing
Snakebit1 is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,088
Default

Originally Posted by jbuchanan View Post
Just get it done! A good employer knows who's doing the job. And next time just figure it out instead of complaining to people outide your company. That's the problem with this country, people want to bitch about work, everyone wants to make a million bucks, but many do NOTHING! Just get the job done! at least you have a job!!!
If you have the boss's boss's boss stopping by either it's a very small place or they already k ow what's going on. Put your head down, learn everything you can and if things don't get better after a few years find a new job, start your own biz. In your exit conversation of they think you are as good as you say you are they will try and keep you.

My uncle left a job, small "large" company but the owner micro-managed everything. The owner offered anything under the sun to make him stay...even open a office in a different city he could work from. Day one of his new job the ex boss sends the most rediculous gift/fruit basket to my uncle at his new employer. A "I know where you are reminder". It's been six years and the guy still calls my uncle randomly to come back.
bjm9818 is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 11:07 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Mistersippi
Posts: 2,563
Default

Punch the old geezer in the nose.
JCC123 is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kitty hawk,nc.
Posts: 4,175
Default

Originally Posted by notgottaboatyet View Post

Any suggestions? (Besides telling management to do their freaking job)
How about getting off the computer and going to work,do the job and then bitch to the boss.

I'll bet that if you were sent a 20 year old hot blonde all would be good.
jpcanning is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 11:17 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albemarle Sound Management Area
Posts: 6,217
Default

Quit, Obama will take care of you.
Crabpot Man is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 11:22 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,974
Default

The guy making no contribution may negatively impact the perception others have of you since you are in charge.

give the old fart very specific directives as to what, when and how to do things so there is no misunderstanding of the expectations. If he needs training offer it to him. If he doesn't do the work...bite your tongue until the next time they drop him on you and then very politely tell your boss that you appreciate the offer for assistance, but you would rather work alone or with someone else since the old guy wouldn't or couldn't. Do not do anything rash...the old guy could be your boss one day
Shin-Dig is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 11:24 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,815
Default

The supervisors already know what he is doing, that is why they are asking .... Maybe this is your chance to shine and a little bit of a test..... Sometimes if people spend less time bitchin and more time doing, good things will happen... You will be recognized soon enough
Cracker is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 11:39 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,098
Default

Originally Posted by notgottaboatyet View Post
My coworker was out today and I have to take on his responsibilities. Ok great I get to work at my own constant pace. Over an hour into the day a 50ish yr old man comes over and says he is going to help with my project but he has to learn the ins and outs. Ok still. An hour or so later my supervisor asks me why he isn't contributing. "He said he wasn't comfortable with it". An hour or so later my supervisor's bosses boss comes and asks the samething and gets the same answer. I ask my brand new old helper what he planned to do and he made it clear he's planning on not doing anything. I'm now doing the job of myself and two other people. Great! The older man has worked here a very long time.

I'm 21 and am in a good position but I still don't feel like I should be the one to put a 50 something to work.

Any suggestions? (Besides telling management to do their freaking job)
Let it slide if it's a situations that is going to resolve itself. If not, you need to learn to "manage up".

Be proactive.

"hey bossman....old fart says this project is beyond his skillset but i want to keep him productive today. do you have another project for him?"
Qb1rdman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread