Notices

Nassau and Freeport??

Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Low Country,South Carolina
Posts: 927
Default Nassau and Freeport??

My wife and I are going on a Carnival cruise right here out Charleston the first of May. I know we won't be on the islands long. Just curious if any of you had any must see or must do's on the islands. I would love to go fishing, but I'm sure that'll be outrageous.
Drippin Wett is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,657
Default

Are thet actually stopping in Freeport? Not my idea of a vacation destination. If you want to pay the entry fee Atlantis is spectacular in Nassau if you take advantage of the lazy river and water areas. The fish tanks are unbeleivable also. It is very pricey, expect to pay $8.50 for a bottle of water.
gameon is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 PM
  #3  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adirondacks, NY/Palm Beach
Posts: 5,401
Default

In Nassau take a taxi over to Potters Cay under the bridge to Paradise Island. There is a dock where the fishing boats tie up in the afternoon. There are about 20 shacks there that prepare the local catch that comes off their boats. Get some cracked conch, cracked lobster and conch salad. There is fish on the menu as well but I think these are the best. The area looks like a dump and looks like it should be condemned but it's where the locals go to eat and it's the best food on the island. Whenever I am in Nassau I eat there. Atlantis is also amazing. It's a must see.

Freeport just sucks! It's a commercial port.
ThreeLittleFish is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 10:14 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 9,260
Default

There is nothing in Freeport except the tourist trap right next to the dock. If all you are looking for are expensive cheeseburgers, nasty Kalik beer, and an overpriced t-shirt it may be right up your alley.
CaptKennyW is offline  
Old 03-06-2012, 10:47 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Default

In Nassau, visit Atlantis (huge hotel with a nice waterpark), downtown (tourist trap), the straw market - and Potters Cay, Arawak Cay or the Poop Deck (for a taste of local food). If you have time, take a cab or rent a scooter.
You're right about the fishing, but you can start here - http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas-direc...&search=Search

Last edited by digitallc; 03-06-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: change
digitallc is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 12:01 AM
  #6  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adirondacks, NY/Palm Beach
Posts: 5,401
Default

Originally Posted by digitallc View Post
In Nassau, visit Atlantis (huge hotel with a nice waterpark), downtown (tourist trap), the straw market - and Potters Cay, Arawak Cay or the Poop Deck (for a taste of local food). If you have time, take a cab or rent a scooter.
You're right about the fishing, but you can start here - http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas-direc...&search=Search
My friend is a local and he says the restaurants at Arawak Cay (aka fish fry) serve frozen conch and fish. I asked him to take me to the best seafood on the island and he took me to Potters Cay. Fish Fry is good place for drinks though and to feed the stray dogs.
ThreeLittleFish is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 04:05 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Charleston, SC, USA!
Posts: 2,185
Default

The Freeport snorkel/fish feeding excursion was cool.
Reelescape1 is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 04:15 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 20,692
Default

I took a short bus ride over and went on this boat.
It was offered by the cruise line.
I just wanted to get out on the water.
Bottom fishing is usually affordable and it's a day fishing.
The boat was not crowded and the Captain and Mate were very friendly.
Attached Images      
240 LTS is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 04:41 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Between Richmond and Williamsburg
Posts: 2,964
Default

Nassau is ghetto. The only thing there worth seeing is the straw market. Atlantis is not on Nassau, it is on Paradise Island, and thats the side of the bridge you want to be on. You don't want to venture outside the "tourist areas" in either Freeport or Nassau. And from what I've seen, 95% of the charter fleet is just a ripoff. They are beautiful places to visit, as long as you stay on the beaten path. Just my $.03
twobyfour is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 04:51 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,290
Default

Has Nassau changed that much in the 12 years since I was there? I didn't think it was a ghetto. The shopping area, I think s Bay St, was nice. The straw market was cool. The Cuban cigars were great... The food was lousy except for a few local places though. Paradise island and the Atlantis are worth checking out. We went to some little zoo that was nothing special but showcased the local flora and fauna. What happened in 12years?
NJFISH is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 05:29 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,657
Default

Originally Posted by ThreeLittleFish View Post
In Nassau take a taxi over to Potters Cay under the bridge to Paradise Island. There is a dock where the fishing boats tie up in the afternoon. There are about 20 shacks there that prepare the local catch that comes off their boats. Get some cracked conch, cracked lobster and conch salad. There is fish on the menu as well but I think these are the best. The area looks like a dump and looks like it should be condemned but it's where the locals go to eat and it's the best food on the island. Whenever I am in Nassau I eat there. Atlantis is also amazing. It's a must see.

Freeport just sucks! It's a commercial port.
I would be very careful eating at any of these places. Most of the food is swarmed with flies at some point or another.
gameon is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
allureobx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: kitty hawk north carolina
Posts: 3,650
Default

we were ther two years ago with a rental car explored the island ,on the north side down this long ass two lane road we came across the nicest damn place bahamma bay ,I think,wow it was beautiful and the guard at the gate was very friendly and pointed out the restraunt which had the best conch ever and a killer dock full of million dollar yachts and was a pleasure to stroll the dock.this is the place john travolta has on the beach,when we got home a week or two later saw on the news where travoltas son had fallen there and passed away very sad
allureobx is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 01:37 PM
  #13  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adirondacks, NY/Palm Beach
Posts: 5,401
Default

Originally Posted by gameon View Post
I would be very careful eating at any of these places. Most of the food is swarmed with flies at some point or another.
Not at these places. The food is still on the boats in the same form it came out of the ocean. If you want cracked conch they go on the boat and grab a conch and break it open. It's as fresh as it gets.
ThreeLittleFish is offline  
Old 03-07-2012, 01:44 PM
  #14  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adirondacks, NY/Palm Beach
Posts: 5,401
Default

Originally Posted by allureobx View Post
we were ther two years ago with a rental car explored the island ,on the north side down this long ass two lane road we came across the nicest damn place bahamma bay ,I think,wow it was beautiful and the guard at the gate was very friendly and pointed out the restraunt which had the best conch ever and a killer dock full of million dollar yachts and was a pleasure to stroll the dock.this is the place john travolta has on the beach,when we got home a week or two later saw on the news where travoltas son had fallen there and passed away very sad
Yeah.... Old Bahama Bay, The landscape looks like your driving on the moon on the road there. The biggest resport in the world called Ginn Sur Mer is planned to be opened there. I don't know if the plans are to go through with it or not. but they alrerady cut out the marina basin from the limestone and leveled the property. Old Bahama Bay was to be the first part.

ThreeLittleFish is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 02:58 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Low Country,South Carolina
Posts: 927
Default

Thanks for the info guys. I'm sure at Freeport we will find a beach and do a little drinking. Will definitely check out Potters cay.
Drippin Wett is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 04:39 PM
  #16  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adirondacks, NY/Palm Beach
Posts: 5,401
Default

Here are some pics I found of Potters Cay.....









ThreeLittleFish is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 05:56 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 1,909
Default

I just did that cruise last Oct. While I can't tell you what to do, I can tell you what not to do. Don't take the pirate tour on Nassau and don't do the bottom fishing at Freeport. Stay on the boat.
nanjemoycat is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread