Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

This is a good product to bring to America...

Notices

This is a good product to bring to America...

Old 03-03-2012, 08:12 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
fidhhook54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 21,113
Default This is a good product to bring to America...

http://nutritionwonderland.com/2008/11/purple_tomatoes/

Europe already has them everywhere...
fidhhook54 is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 08:26 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Not in Texas
Posts: 10,213
Default

Run, don't walk, away from anything GMO (genetically modified organism).

While I am not one ot pay the higher price for "organic" vegetables, I will if that is what it takes to avoid GMO.
Eyeball is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 08:29 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
fidhhook54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 21,113
Default

But GMO is Monsanto,
is American...

You are telling me to run from American products???

I belive in Berrys more than I do in Purple tomatoes,
I have my own purple "tomatoes",
Woman like them!!!
fidhhook54 is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 01:20 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,725
Default

Originally Posted by Eyeball View Post
Run, don't walk, away from anything GMO (genetically modified organism).

While I am not one ot pay the higher price for "organic" vegetables, I will if that is what it takes to avoid GMO.
Shhhh... GMO is great. The more people that don't care about what they eat, the better chance that Social Security will survive and I'll have gas money. LOL.
OldPete is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 01:23 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 3,063
Default

Newsflash:
All organisms are genetically modified. It's called "evolution".......
Ray Zor is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 08:12 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chapel Hill and PKS, North Carolina
Posts: 6,614
Default

Originally Posted by Ray Zor View Post
Newsflash:
All organisms are genetically modified. It's called "evolution".......
Evolution is driven by gene mutation, WITHIN THE SPECIES.
GMO is driven by gene transplants, FROM OTHER SPECIES.
glacierbaze is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 10:08 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: seattle, wa
Posts: 5,934
Default

Originally Posted by glacierbaze View Post
Evolution is driven by gene mutation, WITHIN THE SPECIES.
GMO is driven by gene transplants, FROM OTHER SPECIES.
So what? Your genes are similar to some genes in all living things on Earth. Crops have been GMO since farmers have been crossing different strains together - since the invention of agriculture.
miike is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Not in Texas
Posts: 10,213
Default

Originally Posted by Ray Zor View Post
Newsflash:
All organisms are genetically modified. It's called "evolution".......

There is no such thing as "evolution" ... at least not as it is proposed. Only a complete and total idiot would buy into that Darwinian crap that even Darwin stepped back away from before his death.

Newflash (just for Ray Zor): there is a little,tiny string of molecules that are a naturally occurring amino acid. It is 100% impossible for that amino acid to have evolved. We know that -- it is not a subject of dispute. Where, how, when it arrived in our "reality" is unknown. The only absolute certain "known" is that amino acid did not evolve.

Until that amino acid is accounted for, the THEORY of evolution is dead.
Eyeball is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 11:11 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chapel Hill and PKS, North Carolina
Posts: 6,614
Default

Originally Posted by miike View Post
So what? Your genes are similar to some genes in all living things on Earth. Crops have been GMO since farmers have been crossing different strains together - since the invention of agriculture.
I believe that agriculture is a little older than 1973

History

This section requires expansion. The general principle of producing a GMO is to add new genetic material into an organism's genome. This is called genetic engineering and was made possible through the discovery of DNA and the creation of the first recombinant bacteria in 1973; an existing bacterium E. coli expressing an exogenic Salmonella gene.[4] This led to concerns in the scientific community about potential risks from genetic engineering, which were first discussed in depth at the Asilomar Conference in 1975. One of the main recommendations from this meeting was that government oversight of recombinant DNA research should be established until the technology was deemed safe.[5][6] Herbert Boyer then founded the first company to use recombinant DNA technology, Genentech, and in 1978 the company announced creation of an E. coli strain producing the human protein insulin.[7]
In 1986, field tests of bacteria genetically engineered to protect plants from frost damage (ice-minus bacteria) at a small biotechnology company called Advanced Genetic Sciences of Oakland, California, were repeatedly delayed by opponents of biotechnology. In the same year, a proposed field test of a microbe genetically engineered for a pest resistance protein by Monsanto Company was dropped.
In the late 1980s and early 1990s, guidance on assessing the safety of genetically engineered plants and food emerged from organizations including the FAO and WHO.[8][9][10][11]
Small-scale experimental plantings of genetically modified (GM) plants began in Canada and the U.S. in the late 1980s. The first approvals for large-scale, commercial cultivation came in the mid 1990s. Since that time, adoption of GM plants by farmers has increased annually.
glacierbaze is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chapel Hill and PKS, North Carolina
Posts: 6,614
Default

Originally Posted by Eyeball View Post
There is no such thing as "evolution" ... at least not as it is proposed. Only a complete and total idiot would buy into that Darwinian crap that even Darwin stepped back away from before his death.

Newflash (just for Ray Zor): there is a little,tiny string of molecules that are a naturally occurring amino acid. It is 100% impossible for that amino acid to have evolved. We know that -- it is not a subject of dispute. Where, how, when it arrived in our "reality" is unknown. The only absolute certain "known" is that amino acid did not evolve.

Until that amino acid is accounted for, the THEORY of evolution is dead.
Eyeball, you're going to have to provide some citation. And Rick Santorum is not an acceptable source.
glacierbaze is offline  
Old 03-04-2012, 01:03 AM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Posts: 65
Default

Evolve.
smtdvm is offline  
Old 03-04-2012, 05:11 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 3,063
Default

Originally Posted by glacierbaze View Post
Evolution is driven by gene mutation, WITHIN THE SPECIES.
GMO is driven by gene transplants, FROM OTHER SPECIES.
I happen to subscribe to the theory of universal common descent.
Ray Zor is offline  
Old 03-04-2012, 05:15 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 3,063
Default

Originally Posted by glacierbaze View Post
Eyeball, you're going to have to provide some citation. And Rick Santorum is not an acceptable source.
I stopped responding to Eyeball many moons ago........
Ray Zor is offline  
Old 03-04-2012, 10:47 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Thornton's Ferry,NH,USA
Posts: 10,657
Default

yum?


Kamper is offline  
Old 03-04-2012, 11:15 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Not in Texas
Posts: 10,213
Default

Originally Posted by glacierbaze View Post

Eyeball, you're going to have to provide some citation.
I read about it on a scientific news website a couple of years ago. When I get a chance I will do some Googling for it.



Originally Posted by Ray Zor View Post

I stopped responding to Eyeball many moons ago........

But Eyeball is still responding to you.
Eyeball is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread