Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Pythons wiping out Everglades mammal population

Notices

Pythons wiping out Everglades mammal population

Old 01-30-2012, 01:31 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22,727
Likes: 0
Received 1,503 Likes on 765 Posts
Default Pythons wiping out Everglades mammal population




Right, that is what I want to run into with a 14' jon boat.

Link to story:
http://news.yahoo.com/pythons-appare...201541112.html


This is a python after eating a deer..



Link:
http://www.inquisitr.com/155467/16-f...da-everglades/

Last edited by semperfifishing; 01-30-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:40 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft Lauderdale Fl
Posts: 6,030
Received 175 Likes on 108 Posts
Default

I just read this today. Open season on the dam things. As it is now they have a sort of controlled hunt. Forget the controlled hunt and just kill the freakin things if you see them.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:46 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vero Beach
Posts: 2,872
Likes: 0
Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bumster View Post
Forget the controlled hunt and just kill the freakin things if you see them.
X2
Old 01-30-2012, 01:57 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Davie / Islamorada
Posts: 12,640
Received 1,222 Likes on 564 Posts
Default

I live way too friggin close to that.......
Old 01-30-2012, 02:11 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: bay shore ny us
Posts: 5,301
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by bumster View Post
I just read this today. Open season on the dam things. As it is now they have a sort of controlled hunt. Forget the controlled hunt and just kill the freakin things if you see them.
thank god living in NY I don't have to worry to much about them my buddy down in delay beach snapped a pic of one about that big a few days ago it was along the side of the road looking around
Old 01-30-2012, 02:12 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Jacksonville, FL.
Posts: 11,143
Likes: 0
Received 970 Likes on 464 Posts
Default

This is their study method?

For the study, researchers drove 39,000 miles along Everglades-area roads from 2003 through 2011, counting wildlife spotted along the way and comparing the results with surveys conducted on the same routes in 1996 and 1997.

Driving around looking for animals? Maybe all the possums and raccoons were hiding behind trees?
Old 01-30-2012, 02:22 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft Lauderdale Fl
Posts: 6,030
Received 175 Likes on 108 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by strikerthree View Post
thank god living in NY I don't have to worry to much about them my buddy down in delay beach snapped a pic of one about that big a few days ago it was along the side of the road looking around
Did he kill it?
Old 01-30-2012, 02:24 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft Lauderdale Fl
Posts: 6,030
Received 175 Likes on 108 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JAGSARE1 View Post
This is their study method?

For the study, researchers drove 39,000 miles along Everglades-area roads from 2003 through 2011, counting wildlife spotted along the way and comparing the results with surveys conducted on the same routes in 1996 and 1997.

Driving around looking for animals? Maybe all the possums and raccoons were hiding behind trees?
It was a little more involved than that. it took into account dead animals as well and if you drive an area and see animals every where and then you do it a few more times and see fewer animals one would conclude that animals are no longer there in the same numbers.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:28 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 2,517
Likes: 0
Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

They need to put a bounty on their heads. They put a $5 per tail bounty on Nutria here in La. and the coonasses have been hammering them.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:31 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dulcecita Lures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 16,769
Likes: 0
Received 1,526 Likes on 612 Posts
Default

Chef Prudhomme or somebody needs to come up with a new and popular way of cooking python. Look at what it did for redfish (blackened).
Old 01-30-2012, 02:36 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,734
Likes: 0
Received 652 Likes on 358 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dulcecita Lures View Post
Chef Prudhomme or somebody needs to come up with a new and popular way of cooking python. Look at what it did for redfish (balckened).
I know that rattlesnake tastes like chicken (no...really...it does!)

If somebody could come up with some recipes for python, then a lot of hungry people would do a snake hunt. Heck, have a python festival with that British guy as the MC!

great idea, Lures
Old 01-30-2012, 02:39 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 254
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by big money View Post
They need to put a bounty on their heads. They put a $5 per tail bounty on Nutria here in La. and the coonasses have been hammering them.
I have been saying this for a while. Make it $20. It will pay for gas for all the swamp buggies and air boats. Population of snakes wouldn't stand a chance and I might get some new boots.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:17 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Coast of America
Posts: 7,275
Received 202 Likes on 101 Posts
Default

Hurricanes, gators, silver hairs, jelly fish, sharks, home price reductions, giant roaches, heat, humidity.............now add pythons.........yeah I really want to move to Florida.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:21 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 22,727
Likes: 0
Received 1,503 Likes on 765 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dulcecita Lures View Post
Chef Prudhomme or somebody needs to come up with a new and popular way of cooking python. Look at what it did for redfish (blackened).

http://www.beastfeaster.co.uk/2008/0...-and-mash.html

http://wildlifetrapper.com/2009/08/python-recipes/
Old 01-30-2012, 05:38 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gulf Breeze, Florida
Posts: 1,346
Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by osudaddy View Post
Hurricanes, gators, silver hairs, jelly fish, sharks, home price reductions, giant roaches, heat, humidity.............now add pythons.........yeah I really want to move to Florida.
Let's not forget that beautiful Lionfish either!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:41 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gulf Breeze, Florida
Posts: 1,346
Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

And the typical lame ass Fed. response is to create a law that prohibits importation of Burmese Python's just last year. Too little too late.

All exotic species should never have been allowed into the country in the first place. I hate that we need more laws to protect dumbass people from themselves, but it just seems that there are way to many dipshits with no commone sense.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:15 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: st augustine fl
Posts: 7,734
Likes: 0
Received 738 Likes on 402 Posts
Default

Osudaddy...thinking of going surf fishing this week, or maybe down to the inlet to catch some rays or head out on my motorcycle to some out of the way joint for a burger or maybe down to my son's place to catch some snook/reds or maybe just hang out in old town St Augustine...it's been 70 degrees or more for days....great sun and fun times on the beach....what you been doing?....shoveling snow?....
Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Coast of America
Posts: 7,275
Received 202 Likes on 101 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by slickster View Post
Osudaddy...thinking of going surf fishing this week, or maybe down to the inlet to catch some rays or head out on my motorcycle to some out of the way joint for a burger or maybe down to my son's place to catch some snook/reds or maybe just hang out in old town St Augustine...it's been 70 degrees or more for days....great sun and fun times on the beach....what you been doing?....shoveling snow?....
Nope.........a nice 55 degrees predicted for tomorrow.

I do have to agree that your Gulf side is nice to visit, most especially Sanibel....but I would not like to live there.

I believe there is a saying (perhaps in the Bible) that says in order to enjoy the beauty of spring and summer one has to endure a winter. Very true.

Have you ever snow boarded or snow skied?

Oh, BTW......we have the largest source of fresh water in the world.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:22 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MS gulf coast
Posts: 669
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I have a Hamster that ate one of those snakes,

Had to wrap it's stomach wit duct tape so it could pass

the dam thing, it almost killed him and he is pissed off.

Ya'll keep your dam snakes or I'm going down there and unleash

a hord of pissed off hamsters on ya....

I'm only going to warn ya once!!

rowbear
Old 01-30-2012, 07:38 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: bay shore ny us
Posts: 5,301
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by bumster View Post
Did he kill it?
No someone called fish and game he said

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.