Notices

Freeze Dried Blue Crabs

Old 12-19-2011, 03:28 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,952
Likes: 0
Received 1,558 Likes on 845 Posts
Default Freeze Dried Blue Crabs

We were at the Core Sound Decoy Festival and the museum had a vendor that freeze dried blue crabs and then airbrushed them. I bought one because I was amazed how "alive" they look. I had never heard of such a thing but the pics don't even do them justice. He does fish and shrimp too but crabs are his specialty.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with them except as a customer.


http://www.bluecrabartworks.com/
Old 12-19-2011, 06:39 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Edgewater, Florida
Posts: 849
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Pretty cool
Old 12-19-2011, 06:56 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Not in Texas
Posts: 10,213
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Shag View Post

We were at the Core Sound Decoy Festival and the museum had a vendor that freeze dried blue crabs and then airbrushed them. I bought one because I was amazed how "alive" they look.

Does he do small, noisy, children?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:25 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: A store where the people meet
Posts: 4,443
Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Are they for sale, or just for temporary occasions? If the first choice, does the freeze drying process dehydrate the innards so there is no foul odor....maybe after being freeze dries the sealing process takes care of the remaining odor?

Either way, they DO look ALIVE! VERY cool. Thanks for posting this...I like!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,952
Likes: 0
Received 1,558 Likes on 845 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Eyeball View Post
Does he do small, noisy, children?
Not sure about small kids but he wouldn't do my 25 and 26 year olds but they were bigger than him.

Originally Posted by AGENT86 View Post
Are they for sale, or just for temporary occasions? If the first choice, does the freeze drying process dehydrate the innards so there is no foul odor....maybe after being freeze dries the sealing process takes care of the remaining odor?

Either way, they DO look ALIVE! VERY cool. Thanks for posting this...I like!

Apparently the freeze dried part takes out the odor, meat, etc. It was new to me.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:52 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: gloucester
Posts: 360
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Pete is a good friend of mine and his work is incredible.

The crabs will last forever (?) as long as you don't get them wet. You also shouldn't expose them to direct sunlight for extended periods.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:04 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: N.E. Florida
Posts: 2,280
Likes: 0
Received 153 Likes on 72 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rheist View Post
Pete is a good friend of mine and his work is incredible.

The crabs will last forever (?) as long as you don't get them wet. You also shouldn't expose them to direct sunlight for extended periods.

How about feeding them after midnight? That cool?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:36 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hampstead N.C.
Posts: 867
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rheist View Post

The crabs will last forever .
Nightmares are made of this...
Old 12-20-2011, 02:38 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,510
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Good one unclebobJHC!

Gizmo caca!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.