Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

When it's OK to break a law/ord.

Notices

When it's OK to break a law/ord.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:52 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,224
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default When it's OK to break a law/ord.

When is it OK to break a law or town ordinance? Give examples.

1 example might be your rushing a sick child to the hospital and using your cell phone to call ahead.

Or your town only allows a 6'X6' shed in your yard without getting a permit, you find one that is the perfect fit for your needs 2nd. hand for $20 on Craig’s list, problem is it's 7'X7', do you get the permit or wing it hoping know one will find out?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:01 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas, y'all.
Posts: 2,901
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by 08087 View Post
When is it OK to break a law or town ordinance? Give examples.

1 example might be your rushing a sick child to the hospital and using your cell phone to call ahead.

Or your town only allows a 6'X6' shed in your yard without getting a permit, you find one that is the perfect fit for your needs 2nd. hand for $20 on Craig’s list, problem is it's 7'X7', do you get the permit or wing it hoping know one will find out?
Not trying to send this to the bilge...

If you a banker or politician and you have access to money that isn't yours, THEN it's OK to break the law...

LOT's of examples of this already in Dockside Chat.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:12 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Michigan
Posts: 10,566
Likes: 0
Received 1,332 Likes on 713 Posts
Default

If a cop stops you for speeding while you rush a sick kid or pregnant wife to the hospital, you'll probably wind up with a police escort so you can get there faster.

Violating a city ordinance about building size is hardly in the same league.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:30 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Downeast, North Carolina
Posts: 6,132
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

It's never "OK".

However, that didn't stop me from driving 120+mph in a rented car a few years back. Or driving ?mph when a friend asked me if I wanted to take his Shelby 500 for a test drive 40 or so years ago.

I have a certain disdain for the city/county getting in my business, so I've never gotten a permit for a shed. I guess there's a reason why I live in an area that doesn't even have zoning (we do have building codes).

So it's up to you if you plan on breaking a law or a city ordinance.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:50 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albemarle Sound Management Area
Posts: 6,237
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

When you can afford the consequences of getting caught.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:53 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Not in Texas
Posts: 10,213
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 08087 View Post
When is it OK to break a law or town ordinance?

When it is unconstitutional. There is a supreme court ruling on this; something to the effect "you can ignore an unconstitutional law as if it never was". If you do, good luck.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:59 PM
  #7  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 2,222
Received 514 Likes on 238 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Crabpot Man View Post
When you can afford the consequences of getting caught.
Funny, I had an old boss (military) that used to say:

"Make whatever choices you feel your career can handle."
Old 12-16-2011, 01:07 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dulcecita Lures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 16,771
Likes: 0
Received 1,526 Likes on 612 Posts
Default

She just seemed like a really nice lady down on her luck and I was only trying to help by giving her $100. How was I supposed to know she'd be so thankful we'd end up naked in the back seat of my car, officer? She's what? A hooker? What in the hell is that?
Old 12-16-2011, 01:22 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,710
Received 494 Likes on 334 Posts
Default

You need to understand the difference between crimes which are malum in se versus those which are merely malum prohibitum. This is explained by Reese Witherspoon shown here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK6Xa1Tz-8w

Coincidentally, the speeding/cell phone call and the oversize shed examples illustrate the difference very well.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:22 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
PLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Snapper Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Republic of West Florida - the ORIGINAL lone star state
Posts: 17,830
Received 1,100 Likes on 488 Posts
Default

I would never, ever, consider breaking the law.


Big Al
Old 12-16-2011, 01:39 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,224
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Snapper Head View Post
I would never, ever, consider breaking the law.


Big Al

I can oly hope your joking. we all have crossed against a light once in our lives, made a right on red when it wasn't allowed, gone a bit fast in a no wake zone through a hail storm, walked a dog without a leash.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:42 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
PLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Snapper Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Republic of West Florida - the ORIGINAL lone star state
Posts: 17,830
Received 1,100 Likes on 488 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 08087 View Post
I can oly hope your joking. we all have crossed against a light once in our lives, made a right on red when it wasn't allowed, gone a bit fast in a no wake zone through a hail storm, walked a dog without a leash.
I would never consider any of the horrific violations that you list.

No wake zones?: only lunatic idiots would violate those. They are sacred.


Big Al
Old 12-16-2011, 01:51 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NC/GA
Posts: 5,914
Likes: 0
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

something to the effect "you can ignore an unconstitutional law as if it never was".

Except you don't get to decide what is Constitutional and what is not! When that happens, the Constitution is worthless and anarchy reigns ... ;?
Old 12-16-2011, 01:58 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Naples/Ft Myers
Posts: 1,415
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dulcecita Lures View Post
She just seemed like a really nice lady down on her luck and I was only trying to help by giving her $100. How was I supposed to know she'd be so thankful we'd end up naked in the back seat of my car, officer? She's what? A hooker? What in the hell is that?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:51 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southeast Florida
Posts: 12,197
Received 1,072 Likes on 641 Posts
Default

Most of us jaywalk and drive faster than the speed limit with impunity.

Enuf said.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:55 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,224
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Snapper Head View Post
I would never consider any of the horrific violations that you list.

No wake zones?: only lunatic idiots would violate those. They are sacred.


Big Al

I have met Mr. Wonderful! Never crossed outside a cross walk? Wow!
Old 12-16-2011, 03:55 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, NC
Posts: 1,581
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pez Vela View Post
You need to understand the difference between crimes which are malum in se versus those which are merely malum prohibitum. This is explained by Reese Witherspoon shown here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK6Xa1Tz-8w

Coincidentally, the speeding/cell phone call and the oversize shed examples illustrate the difference very well.

Do your clients know that you watch movies like that?

What's next, using the case law of Finders Keepers vs. Losers Weepers?

You're hired.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:41 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 6,626
Received 1,521 Likes on 713 Posts
Default

Whenever a law is created to protect stupid people from themselves. Of course the problem with this is that stupid people don't usually know they are the stupid people.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:59 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Schmaltz~Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cruising Lake Titikacka On My 18' Bayliner~Soon Upgrading to a 45' SeaVee With Quint 450's
Posts: 17,856
Received 1,168 Likes on 600 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
If a cop stops you for speeding while you rush a sick kid or pregnant wife to the hospital, you'll probably wind up with a police escort so you can get there faster.

Violating a city ordinance about building size is hardly in the same league.


err, you'll end up with a citation.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:38 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 22,003
Received 1,586 Likes on 858 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 08087 View Post
I can oly hope your joking.
He's not. Blow and hookers are legal in Miss.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.