Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

email software? had it with outlook

Notices

email software? had it with outlook

Old 12-12-2011, 08:01 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: sebastian FL
Posts: 2,064
Default email software? had it with outlook

title says it all, who has a recommendation for decent, preferably simple email software for winblows. I have had it with outlook's quirks and lock ups.
My Turn is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 08:02 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
PLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Snapper Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Republic of West Florida - the ORIGINAL lone star state
Posts: 17,785
Default

C'mon, you mean Outlook 2010 isn't the greatest thing ever?

Bill Gates deserves a kick in the nads.


Big Al
Snapper Head is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 08:06 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 1,901
Default

Originally Posted by My Turn View Post
title says it all, who has a recommendation for decent, preferably simple email software for winblows. I have had it with outlook's quirks and lock ups.
I've been using Thunderbird mail......from the folks who do FireFox browser.

It's opensource freeware. Just d/l and install. You do need to use some plug-ins for calendar and actions and IMO it pays to use Google for integration.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
capecuddy is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 08:21 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dulcecita Lures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 16,765
Default

Google mail? Free.
Dulcecita Lures is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 926
Default

Originally Posted by capecuddy View Post
I've been using Thunderbird mail......from the folks who do FireFox browser.
x2 been using it for years. I dumped outlook as soon as thunderbird came onto the horizon.
scboatman is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 09:38 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SEC Penna
Posts: 8,780
Default

Originally Posted by scboatman View Post
x2 been using it for years. I dumped outlook as soon as thunderbird came onto the horizon.
+2 on Thunderbird
kone is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 09:39 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas, y'all.
Posts: 2,900
Default

Gmail...

And X2 for kicking Bill Gates in the nads.
swifty is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 11:12 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 3,124
Default

Gotta say, I've been using outlook for the past 10 years and manage a company with 150 users and can't recall the last time Outlook locked up on me or anyone else here.
What version are using? Is it up to date? Any strange plugins that may be causing an issue?
paulyjsob is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 11:14 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 3,315
Default

x3 on Thunderbird
Software is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 11:43 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 11,288
Default

Been using Outlook since 97, without nay major troubles, but 2010 is definitely slower than molasses in the wintertime. It's an email client for god's sake. It shouldn't require a quad core box with 8gb ram just to read email.
jobowker is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 11:59 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 22,073
Default

I've been using outlook for years. I think it's about 2000 or 2003. Just recently I started having lockup problems. I should consider something else.
rwidman is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 05:13 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 1,901
Default

I was able to tolerate the old Outlook Express, but they killed that with Windows 7 and that's when I found Thunderbird. It is kinda like Outlook Express but with the ability to sync to Google Calendar and Tasks via a few plug-ins.

Sync with Google Calendar works surprisingly well and faster than I ever experienced with Lotus Notes for example in corp IT.

It's free, so give it a shot......worst you have to do is delete.
capecuddy is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 05:57 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: sebastian FL
Posts: 2,064
Default

tried thunderbird on 2 machines and it won't import my outlook 2000 address book or message folders. Yes outlook is the default email program when I am trying to do the import. Did a google search and could not find a solution, just a lot of techno jibber jabber, so thunderbird is out for me.
My Turn is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 06:29 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,968
Default

I gave up using outlook or any email program that pulls the set of messages (and attachments/files/pictures) off a server and stores them on my PC. No reason to do that with gmail or the ability to read emails in a browser window (yahoo mail, etc).

Read the emails on the server, gmail. Delete the spam automatically (never get to your PC). Delete other junk mail with a few clicks.
ericinmich is online now  
Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Between Buzzards Bay and Narragansett Bay
Posts: 1,327
Default

You don't need an email program at all. Just keep your email in the cloud. I've been using Fastmail.fm for years with a whole load of email addresses, aliases, etc. Google Mail (gmail) is also cloud based with a nice web interface. Yahoo! mail is okay but not as good. What I like about keeping my mail in the cloud is that I get my mail on my laptop at home, office computer, iPhone, and anywhere else. I'm not tied to a particular computer in order to access email. In my opinion, Outlook as an email interface is sooooo old fashioned now. Cloud based email setups are much better. If for some reason you MUST have a dedicated email program on your computer, then try Thunderbird or make sure you have the newest Outlook. My office has the newest Outlook and it's fine. It syncs automatically with Google Calender into the cloud thereby automatically updating the calendar on my iPhone. I also have it set up to simply put my office emails into Outlook but NOT to delete them from the cloud server. This way, I can retrieve my emails from anywhere in the world using my iPhone or any computer sitting around because my emails haven't been permanently downloaded to Outlook and erased from the cloud server. I would dump Outlook altogether but my office has one industry-specific program that can only sync to Outlook. It is not advanced enough to work with cloud based applications. As soon as it can, Outlook will be gone. It's a dinosaur.
auntiepaula is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 07:47 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 539
Default

Email software? What's that......oh ya I rember now I used that stuff back in the 90s. All my stuff is in the clouds now.
falkon is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 11:45 PM
  #17  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adirondacks, NY/Palm Beach
Posts: 5,401
Default

Outlook has been replaced with Windows Mail. It's free. Go to the Microsoft website and download it.
ThreeLittleFish is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 11:48 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 2,114
Default

Originally Posted by ericinmich View Post
I gave up using outlook or any email program that pulls the set of messages (and attachments/files/pictures) off a server and stores them on my PC. No reason to do that with gmail or the ability to read emails in a browser window (yahoo mail, etc).

Read the emails on the server, gmail. Delete the spam automatically (never get to your PC). Delete other junk mail with a few clicks.
gMail is IMO best overall email application. Even available on iPhone and Android. I've got it setup to grab all my Outlook accounts an others.

No need to worry about losing emails or not having all past emails

Just a suggestion based on my experience
NoFearEyes is offline  
Old 12-13-2011, 04:26 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 22,073
Default

Originally Posted by auntiepaula View Post
You don't need an email program at all. Just keep your email in the cloud. I've been using Fastmail.fm for years with a whole load of email addresses, aliases, etc. Google Mail (gmail) is also cloud based with a nice web interface. Yahoo! mail is okay but not as good. What I like about keeping my mail in the cloud is that I get my mail on my laptop at home, office computer, iPhone, and anywhere else. I'm not tied to a particular computer in order to access email. In my opinion, Outlook as an email interface is sooooo old fashioned now. Cloud based email setups are much better. If for some reason you MUST have a dedicated email program on your computer, then try Thunderbird or make sure you have the newest Outlook. My office has the newest Outlook and it's fine. It syncs automatically with Google Calender into the cloud thereby automatically updating the calendar on my iPhone. I also have it set up to simply put my office emails into Outlook but NOT to delete them from the cloud server. This way, I can retrieve my emails from anywhere in the world using my iPhone or any computer sitting around because my emails haven't been permanently downloaded to Outlook and erased from the cloud server. I would dump Outlook altogether but my office has one industry-specific program that can only sync to Outlook. It is not advanced enough to work with cloud based applications. As soon as it can, Outlook will be gone. It's a dinosaur.
How long will your emails remain in the "cloud" (somebody's server)? A few months? A year? A few years? Forever?

I've thought of changing so I wouldn't be tied to a single ISP (Comcast) but changing an email address is a PITA. And the good, simple ones are already taken.
rwidman is offline  
Old 12-13-2011, 05:24 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 5,050
Default

Originally Posted by ThreeLittleFish View Post
Outlook has been replaced with Windows Mail. It's free. Go to the Microsoft website and download it.
Go to live.com and download the essentials suite. It has email and calendaer etc. And it works with live.com email (which btw was reviewed and scored higher than gmail).
keithelder is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread