Identity Protection Experts?

Old 11-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sharon Springs, NY
Posts: 4,515
Default Identity Protection Experts?

Anyone know the ins and outs of checking the identity protection of child?

I suspect that our little girl's social has been used by someone of no authority. I would like to have her credit report checked as well as some investigation into whether anyone has accessed her credit for any reason.

I don't want to use the kazillion companies that spend billions advertising on TV. I'm too skeptical to use them. Those companies can't be as clean as they appear.

What say you on the proper method?
Mike Boehler is offline  
Old 11-07-2011, 04:45 AM
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Thornton's Ferry,NH,USA
Posts: 10,727

Check with the IRS and Social Security Administration to see if anyone has applied for a job, benefits or used her SSN as an exemption. Bring her birth certificate, original SS card and your ID with you. Probably won't hurt to bring your tax return that shows her being claimed as your dependent.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline  
Old 11-07-2011, 04:52 AM
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,849

Who to contact for a copy of your credit report

P.O. Box 105873
Atlanta, GA 30348-5873

Experian Information Solutions
P.O. Box 949
Allen, TX 75013-0949

P.O. Box 390
Springfield, PA 19064-0390

Where to report Identity Theft

Equifax Credit Bureau Fraud Department

Experian Information Solutions

TransUnion Credit Bureau Fraud Department

Federal Trade Commission

What to do if you become a victim of Identity Theft

- Contact all creditors, by telephone and in writing, to inform them of the problem.

- File a police report

- Contact the Federal Trade Commission (1-877-IDTHEFT) to report the problem.

- Call each of the three credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion) fraud units to report identity theft. Ask to have a 'Fraud Alert/Victim Impact' statement placed in your credit file asking that creditors call you before opening any new accounts.

- Alert your banks to flag your accounts and contact you to confirm any unusual activity. Request a change of PIN and a new password.

- Keep a log of all your contacts and copies of all your documents.

- Contact the Social Security Administrator's Fraud Hotline (1-800-269-0271).

- Contact the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles to see if another license was issued in your name. If so, request a new license number and fill out the DHSMVs complaint form to begin the fraud investigation process.

All the best Mike, if you need any further advice PM me
Cracker is offline  
Old 11-07-2011, 05:18 AM
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sharon Springs, NY
Posts: 4,515

Thanks guys, this should be easy. I'll get a credit report first, if all is in order its the end of the story, if not, I will proceed based on what's on it.

Ridiculous that we have to worry about this for a six year old, but people suck. The sooner the world learns this the better.
Mike Boehler is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread