Notices

need a new cell phone advice

Old 11-04-2011, 12:54 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston/Sargent, Texas
Posts: 5,324
Default need a new cell phone advice

I need a new phone...I have a Droid II which I hate because I cant type on it. I've had it over a year and still cant type on it. I've downloaded every keyboard app there is...still the same and now that people in my business text me all the time (for work) its beginning to be a problem.

I had a verizon i-phone and loved it but got rid of it after two weeks because it doesnt work at my bay house. My Motorola Droid II (Verizon also) works full 3G at the bay house.

Thinking of going back to an i-phone but here is my hang up:

The Droid has an app, PDAnet that allows me to tether it to my laptop anywhere I have coverage and be fully connected...I can surf full 3g at my bay house with no extra service fees of any sort.

Any advice....I HAVE to do something but not sure what
freedbaby is offline  
Old 11-04-2011, 01:14 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 4,910
Default

I know with AT&T if you have one of these devices:

iPhone 4 and 4S (running iOS 4.3 or higher)
HTC Aria*, Inspire, and Status
Motorola Atrix and Bravo*
Samsung Captivate* and Infuse
LG Phoenix
HP Veer

Then you can sign up for the DataPro Plan and setup your phone as a WiFI hot spot:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/data-plans.jsp

You didn't specify if you wanted to stick with Verizon or not, but maybe they offer something similar.

While you are shopping, don't forget to look at the Windows Phone 7.5 phones, they are super sexy.
keithelder is offline  
Old 11-04-2011, 07:05 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 1,901
Default

Originally Posted by freedbaby View Post
I need a new phone...I have a Droid II which I hate because I cant type on it. I've had it over a year and still cant type on it. I've downloaded every keyboard app there is...still the same and now that people in my business text me all the time (for work) its beginning to be a problem.

I had a verizon i-phone and loved it but got rid of it after two weeks because it doesnt work at my bay house. My Motorola Droid II (Verizon also) works full 3G at the bay house.

Thinking of going back to an i-phone but here is my hang up:

The Droid has an app, PDAnet that allows me to tether it to my laptop anywhere I have coverage and be fully connected...I can surf full 3g at my bay house with no extra service fees of any sort.

Any advice....I HAVE to do something but not sure what
I'm thoroughly confused by your post...

The Droid 2 has a slide out keyboard so I'm struggling to understand why you can't type on it? It's a pretty decent keyboard.

What am I missing?
capecuddy is offline  
Old 11-04-2011, 07:14 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft Lauderdale Fl
Posts: 5,990
Default

I had a BB for years and finally gave it up for an iPhone4. I have no real complaints about this phone at all. it does what its supposed to do and as far as typing goes, I can type faster on the iPhone than i could on the BB
bumster is offline  
Old 11-04-2011, 07:22 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston/Sargent, Texas
Posts: 5,324
Default

Originally Posted by capecuddy View Post
I'm thoroughly confused by your post...

The Droid 2 has a slide out keyboard so I'm struggling to understand why you can't type on it? It's a pretty decent keyboard.

What am I missing?

That keyboard sucks...it's the slowest typing keyboard ever, and my big thumbs can barely get to the keys at the top because they are to close to the top slide
freedbaby is offline  
Old 11-04-2011, 07:43 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,740
Default

I bought an iPhone 4S and use it to tether my iPad. Maybe I'm apple biased, but this phOne is stupid easy to use. Apps are easily available, tech support is amazing and the phones are stylish. I've used others and have always wanted to return to apple. I highly recommend the iPhone 4s above all else!
BCMk31 is offline  
Old 11-04-2011, 08:11 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 1,901
Default

Originally Posted by BCMk31 View Post
I bought an iPhone 4S and use it to tether my iPad. Maybe I'm apple biased, but this phOne is stupid easy to use. Apps are easily available, tech support is amazing and the phones are stylish. I've used others and have always wanted to return to apple. I highly recommend the iPhone 4s above all else!
Who is your carrier?
capecuddy is offline  
Old 11-04-2011, 08:18 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 1,901
Default

Another question....why would the Verizon iPhone not work at your bay house and the Droid2 work at the bay house? They use the same 3G signals, no?

Droid X2 has a big on screen keyboard if that is your issue with Droid2. You might check that out at a Verizon Wireless store. They also have a droid model that has a key board kinda like a blackberry.

Thank you for making me aware of PDANet.....it works spectacularly and with an unlimited data plan it's actually better than my half-speed DSL on Verizon landline. I use the Bluetooth for the PC to Droid connection.
capecuddy is offline  
Old 11-05-2011, 06:35 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,740
Default

Originally Posted by capecuddy View Post
Who is your carrier?
AT&T. When you own an iPhone, AT&T transfers you to the business call center which is much easier to deal with than AT&T standard care. I also contact Apple and schedule an appointment with the genius bar for my tougher issues. So far, most of my issues were phone related, not tower or connection issues. Everyone has an opinion myself included. IMO I wont own another phone unless Apple goes belly up!
BCMk31 is offline  
Old 11-05-2011, 06:42 AM
  #10  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 8,473
Default

Originally Posted by freedbaby View Post
I need a new phone...I have a Droid II which I hate because I cant type on it. I've had it over a year and still cant type on it. I've downloaded every keyboard app there is...still the same and now that people in my business text me all the time (for work) its beginning to be a problem.

I had a verizon i-phone and loved it but got rid of it after two weeks because it doesnt work at my bay house. My Motorola Droid II (Verizon also) works full 3G at the bay house.

Thinking of going back to an i-phone but here is my hang up:

The Droid has an app, PDAnet that allows me to tether it to my laptop anywhere I have coverage and be fully connected...I can surf full 3g at my bay house with no extra service fees of any sort.

Any advice....I HAVE to do something but not sure what
I have used PDA Net on my Iphone for years, I have ATT. To use it you will have to jailbreak your phone, a very easy process. With that said there are better tethering apps out there now. But they are not free like PDA net. I have the new 4s now and I dont know if a jail break is out yet. As far as typing messeges on the new 4s, I hardly ever type anymore, just talk and the phone will type your message, it works very well. and fast.
mikeloew is online now  
Old 11-05-2011, 07:20 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 1,901
Default

Why don't you go with the Verizon iPhone 4S? Best carrier should address your location issues....it's an iPhone which you say you love.....and it's 4G which should be a big speed improvement....FTW
capecuddy is offline  
Old 11-05-2011, 07:39 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,740
Default

Originally Posted by capecuddy View Post
Why don't you go with the Verizon iPhone 4S? Best carrier should address your location issues....it's an iPhone which you say you love.....and it's 4G which should be a big speed improvement....FTW
Not 100 percent sure, but I think the 4S is only 3G.
BCMk31 is offline  
Old 11-05-2011, 07:41 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,751
Default

Stick with Android. Get the service that works at the Bay House. Get the best phone you can afford. GET THE PHONE ROOTED. Get a tethering app (either wired or wireless). Period. End of Story. LOL.
OldPete is online now  
Old 11-05-2011, 05:59 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston/Sargent, Texas
Posts: 5,324
Default

I have Verizon and am thinking of going back with a Droid.

not sure why but a Verizon I-phone will have no bars, sometimes flashing one bar while sitting next to a Verizon Motorola Droid with full 3G...at the bay house. Has something to do with the quality and location of the internal antenna of Motorola products. I-phones have always had reception issues.

PDA net does not require you to root the phone BTW...or at least it didnt when I set it up.

Matter of fact, I am on PDA net right now...with a drink in my hand watching the water go by
freedbaby is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 07:09 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 1,901
Default

Originally Posted by freedbaby View Post
I have Verizon and am thinking of going back with a Droid.

not sure why but a Verizon I-phone will have no bars, sometimes flashing one bar while sitting next to a Verizon Motorola Droid with full 3G...at the bay house. Has something to do with the quality and location of the internal antenna of Motorola products. I-phones have always had reception issues.

PDA net does not require you to root the phone BTW...or at least it didnt when I set it up.

Matter of fact, I am on PDA net right now...with a drink in my hand watching the water go by
How do you do with the widely publicized 2 gigabyte limit that Verizon imposes on its "unlimited" data plan?
capecuddy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread