Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

My 5 year old daughter is SO smart.

Notices

My 5 year old daughter is SO smart.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:46 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 3,088
Default My 5 year old daughter is SO smart.

She can hear a song on the radio and a week later sing it back to you. She kicks my butt in memory games like you wouldn't believe. Learned her alphabet at a young age and picked up reading and simple math really quick.

Yet EVERY TIME she goes to the bathroom, she forgets to flush the toilet, wash her hands and turn off the light... EVERY time.
Every morning she throws her pajamas in the hamper instead of putting them back into her bed for the next night. Every night she forgets to put her clothes in the hamper instead of the middle of the floor... Every 2 minutes she forgets that its NOT OK to smack her little brother...

Oy... the fun of being a parent of a 3 and 5 year old...

Good times.
paulyjsob is offline  
Old 08-19-2011, 06:06 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas, y'all.
Posts: 2,900
Default

Great story! Smacking her brother....same here for my 2 kiddos. She's a bit older than him and finds it "funny" to pick on him. Poor lil guy...until he gets her back by eating all the fruit in the house. My son ate the last nanner last night and I thought she was going to lose it!

Good times for sure!
swifty is offline  
Old 08-19-2011, 06:16 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,360
Default

Never had the hitting thing but can relate to the rest. They say we all cna develop our memories to a much greater extent with the right techniques..... Its somehting we are born with and then lose due to lack of practice - and use of alternate tools to rote playback memory.

Enjoy
LI Sound Grunt is offline  
Old 08-19-2011, 06:48 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 3,068
Default

Oh man, I can totally relate to this. My daughter is now 9 but when she was 3-6 years old I never really understood how such a young mind could perminently retain so much data so quickly yet some of the most common sense issues would completely escape her. Fortunately, her common sense is improving immensly and yet she still has a fantastic memory. I am now oficially the old man who relies on his child for info I forget!!!
Ray Zor is offline  
Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 AM
  #5  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,111
Default

If you really want to discover the REAL meaning of fast learning....

Put a 5-7 YO and a PC on the same room and see what happens.....

Now... turning the light off when you leave the room seems to be part of astrophysics 101 for them....LOL
emudryj is offline  
Old 08-19-2011, 08:02 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,162
Default

Originally Posted by paulyjsob View Post
She can hear a song on the radio and a week later sing it back to you. She kicks my butt in memory games like you wouldn't believe. Learned her alphabet at a young age and picked up reading and simple math really quick.

Yet EVERY TIME she goes to the bathroom, she forgets to flush the toilet, wash her hands and turn off the light... EVERY time.
Every morning she throws her pajamas in the hamper instead of putting them back into her bed for the next night. Every night she forgets to put her clothes in the hamper instead of the middle of the floor... Every 2 minutes she forgets that its NOT OK to smack her little brother...
Actually you just discribed a real bitch. You know, the kind we learn to HATE. Enjoy it now, because the grey hairs are coming.
Garett is offline  
Old 08-19-2011, 09:36 AM
  #7  
CJS
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Adrift
Posts: 5,842
Default

As far as the memory goes, it's simple:

1. She hasn't completely clogged up her brain with a lot of useless crap.
2. She has not discovered beer or boys.

And as far as the other stuff is concerned, you aint seen nothin yet.
As soon as she becomes a "tweener", her brain will completely shut down
to all forms of reason or logic. This condition will last until some time after
she graduates from college, at which point it will start to fade, slowly.

Why do you think fathers of girls are bald or gray, have ulcers, a propensity
towards alcholism, and can frequently be seen walking around just shaking
their heads and mumbling incoherently to themselves?

I got 2, I know of what I speak........
CJS is offline  
Old 08-19-2011, 11:23 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 3,088
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
because the grey hairs are coming.
I skipped the grey hair part and went straight to balding..
paulyjsob is offline  
Old 08-19-2011, 03:12 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 2,083
Default

Nope...she owns you and she knows it just like my 2 year old son owns me. Kids are smarter in a nurturing household. More than we give them credit for sometimes.
hybrid is offline  
Old 08-19-2011, 03:46 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dauphin Island, AL
Posts: 2,184
Default

Guys, your missing the real issue. Their mothers are teaching them SELECTIVE hearing, listening, memory, and obeying skills. We have twin 5yr olds. Boy and girl. My daughter is smart, gorgeous, and cunning, exactly like my wife (except for the smart part). My son is cool like me! They will amaze you sometimes.
DLG4354 is offline  
Old 08-19-2011, 06:35 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The left coast.
Posts: 1,881
Default

You'll be thanking her in the future while she positions the blanket on your lap and wipe up your drool.
the good life is offline  
Old 08-19-2011, 07:46 PM
  #12  
CJS
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Adrift
Posts: 5,842
Default

Originally Posted by the good life View Post
You'll be thanking her in the future while she positions the blanket on your lap and wipe up your drool.
That's if she doesn't drop you off at the racetrack with a note that says "Take care of Dad" pinned to your shirt first.

CJS is offline  
Old 08-20-2011, 04:44 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Thornton's Ferry,NH,USA
Posts: 10,659
Default

My 7 y/o grandson was eating alone and spilled some cereal. We told him he needed to clean it up before he could play Wii. His response?

"Why do I always have to clean up everybody's mess!?"
Kamper is offline  
Old 08-20-2011, 05:39 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,787
Default

Ha! I've got a 1 year old girl and a 3 year old boy. My boy can't seem to "remember" how to pull up his underwear... yet he can remember that he was the same office building months ago ONCE and tell you what he did there.

Keep in mind the two kids, the dog, and the wife all come to work with every day! (Except when my boy is in school/camp).

It's all good. It's all good. I'm certain they will both be potty trained before college. LOL.
OldPete is offline  
Old 08-20-2011, 02:08 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 3,068
Default

Originally Posted by CJS View Post
As far as the memory goes, it's simple:

1. She hasn't completely clogged up her brain with a lot of useless crap.
2. She has not discovered beer or boys.

And as far as the other stuff is concerned, you aint seen nothin yet.
As soon as she becomes a "tweener", her brain will completely shut down
to all forms of reason or logic. This condition will last until some time after
she graduates from college, at which point it will start to fade, slowly.

Why do you think fathers of girls are bald or gray, have ulcers, a propensity
towards alcholism, and can frequently be seen walking around just shaking
their heads and mumbling incoherently to themselves?

I got 2, I know of what I speak........
Good lord!! This describes me to a T!
"..fathers of girls are bald ( I AM BALD) or gray, have ulcers, a propensity
towards alcholism (I AM DRINKING RIGHT NOW), and can frequently be seen walking around just shaking their heads and mumbling incoherently to themselves?(MY DAUGHTER IS CONSTANTLY ASKING ME WHY I TALK TO MYSELF SO MUCH)
Ray Zor is offline  
Old 08-20-2011, 04:54 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Posts: 2,018
Default

I have two, and I'm bald. Oyeah I talk to my other self too! When the voices in my head say it's ok?
C Dave is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread