Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

What is wrong with people?? Another angle.

Notices

What is wrong with people?? Another angle.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:11 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The left coast.
Posts: 1,881
Default What is wrong with people?? Another angle.

I decided to start another topic as reading the original one reminded me of this and trying to live an honest living.

I worked with a guy who started receiving a military disability tax free monthly check from the VA for hearing loss due to military service. He applied for it thirty years after discharge.

He also applied for workman's comp disability via a specialty lawyer AFTER retiring claiming an on the job injury causes him pain. He does admit to having really bad back pains but geez, the rest of the crew sort of carried him through his remaining years at work. Nice guy, but..............
the good life is offline  
Old 08-18-2011, 09:32 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: texas coast
Posts: 1,122
Default

Sounds to me like you think your co-worker is an undeserving scam artist. I assume
you're privy to the medical reports concerning this issue in which case you have little
else to do but blow your whistle on him as a concerned citizen. BTW, which branch of
the military did you say you served our country in?
boat user is offline  
Old 08-18-2011, 09:57 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: one bridge south of Clearwater Beach
Posts: 4,562
Default

I have to agree with the OP. First, I want to thank anyone who has served or is currently serving in the military. However, this is not a military issue, it is an issue with society in general. Workers Comp and disability are there for the people who need it to replace/supplement their income while they are unable to work, or limited in work duties, due to an injury or disability. It should not continue after the age of retirement, no matter what happened to who, in the private sector or government. It should stop at whatever the age the government deems to be legal retirement age for that person (for Social Security & Medicare benefits). If you buy a disability policy for yourself from an insurance company, they will not pay benefits past age 65.
runabout is offline  
Old 08-18-2011, 10:14 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Not in Texas
Posts: 10,213
Default

Originally Posted by the good life View Post

I worked with a guy who started receiving a military disability tax free monthly check from the VA for hearing loss due to military service. He applied for it thirty years after discharge.

Sounds (pardon the pun) about right. I think severe hearing loss comes on somewhere around 20-years after the event. It is very likely his hearing loss is the result of the time he served in the military. A lot of what is know about hearing loss is the product of years of study funded entirely by Coors...yeah, that Coors.
Eyeball is offline  
Old 08-18-2011, 10:23 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hockesssin, DE
Posts: 1,113
Default

There has to be some level of proof/evidence to get coverage under either. Neither the Govt. or Comp carrier are just going to start writing checks because you say you are hurt. And trust me - both do not want to write checks. There are time limitations, doctors reports, testing and other safetys in place that (sure there are going to be some scams) keep everything in check. So, as long as he has gone through the process and they agreed they are responsible for the injuries I think it is fair game. JMO
Port Monster is offline  
Old 08-18-2011, 11:35 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Struggleville
Posts: 7,525
Default

My body is fugged up as chinese arithmetic. I can barely walk and somedays can't. Declared disabled by the VA and Private DR's. MS and severe diffuse idiopathic skeletal hypertosis. No check for me. VA gives me enough drugs to keep me marginally comatose. Wife works and sons help pay the bills. What a wonderful world it has become. I see a bullet in my near future. No need to burden my family and suffer. Enough is enough.
Bugbuster is offline  
Old 08-18-2011, 11:42 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas, y'all.
Posts: 2,900
Default

Originally Posted by Bugbuster View Post
My body is fugged up as chinese arithmetic. I can barely walk and somedays can't. Declared disabled by the VA and Private DR's. MS and severe diffuse idiopathic skeletal hypertosis. No check for me. VA gives me enough drugs to keep me marginally comatose. Wife works and sons help pay the bills. What a wonderful world it has become. I see a bullet in my near future. No need to burden my family and suffer. Enough is enough.
Don't know you Sir but please erase the last 3 lines of your post. Your family loves you and I don't even know them but dammit they do and would be much worse off without you in their lives. Please consider what some suggested in another post you made...please.

Praying for you from Texas....
Jeff
swifty is offline  
Old 08-18-2011, 01:38 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: texas coast
Posts: 1,122
Default

Originally Posted by runabout View Post
I have to agree with the OP. First, I want to thank anyone who has served or is currently serving in the military. However, this is not a military issue, i
DUDE! This IS a military issue! My service was almost 40 years ago and I've had hearing
problems I can trace back that far, to a particular night, to a particular Howitzer. Hearing
problems are alot like smoking problems....you get shorted at the back end NOT up
front. Nerve endings die and never come back, no big problem when you are young cause
you got plenty more, but start losing them to the aging process and you start going deaf
years earlier than you should have. Scam my azz........
boat user is offline  
Old 08-18-2011, 01:54 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NE
Posts: 1,047
Default

There are people who are ACTUALLY disabled that can't get benefits.......why is that? Because of scam artists and greedy insurance companies.

People embellish their injuries all the damn time to get a check......makes me sick.......it's a reflection of the entitlement mentality rampant in our culture......"he gets paid, why shouldn't I?" Dishonesty and greed are the evil undercurrent sinking good ol' Americana.

And one last thing......our soldiers are NOT mercenaries......they fight for our freedoms because they love this country and get paid to do it......and I thank them since I can't do it now.
HDTBC is offline  
Old 08-18-2011, 02:27 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Raleigh & Surf City, NC
Posts: 12,846
Default

Originally Posted by boat user View Post
BTW, which branch of
the military did you say you served our country in?

Your question makes it sound like you are ok with veterans working the system at the taxpayers expense. Please tell me you are not stupid enough to think that. Hopefully I misunderstand the point of your question.

To all the legit veterans and currently serving, thanks for your service.
baypro21 is offline  
Old 08-18-2011, 04:21 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,350
Default

I have applied for hearing loss disability also. It was very easy to document my exposure and they admit that - however the reason for denial was that I had a slight loss upon entry into the service - based on a scientific beep beep test that is normally used - don't know the name of the test. When I was discharged I do not remember any test but they said I passed a "whisper" test and came out with no loss. My ear doctor declared it a miracle saying he has never heard of anyone's hearing improve after exposure to a year of combat firefight noise (grenades, B-40 rockets, machine guns, LAWS and other light weapons infantry stuff. Anyway I did not appeal just because the whole experience was depressing time consuming and not worth the effort to appeal.

Now catch this - although they did NOT give me compensation they qualified me for a free hearing aid. (I am eligible for hospital benefits as I do receive a small compensation for an Agent Orange related illness). I haven't gotten one yet but if my hearing gets much worse I will definitely take them up.

Sure some folks scam the system, but they do have a pretty sophisticated screening system and I suppose they make occasional errors both ways. the VA seems to have improved drastically with the appointment of Shinseki.

I think the artillery guys would have the highest risk but maybe they used hearing protection?
LI Sound Grunt is offline  
Old 08-18-2011, 05:29 PM
  #12  
TSA
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: St Pete/Islamorada
Posts: 6,123
Default

To the OP and LI Sound Grunt.........while I am currently retired, I was a VA decision-maker (GS-13) who worked in the Federal Building/benefits office granting and denying VA disability claims. I can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that the veteran described in the OP is not receiving service connected compensation for hearing loss. While he is likely 0 percent service connected for bilateral HL, he is receiving 10 percent SC disability ($100 approx per month) for "tinnitus" more commonly called ringing in the ears.

FWIW CFR which is set by congress has placed the threshold for compensable hearing loss so incredibly high that the majority of those with service connected HL are at the 0 percent level. A practical example of this threshold would be that if you can hear any sound at all from a normal conversation in a telephone headset, you would still not quite meet the threshold for compensation. You must be nearly completely deaf to establish a compensable level of disability. There are a few disabilities I think are unfairly compensated and HL is one of them. Additionally, believe it or not, with modern equipment, hearing loss is nearly impossible fake.

Yes, the VA will give you free hearing aids which sooner or later you will need. My father has been using the free hearing aids for some time now, and at 76 he is so deaf, he is now compensable, but it is a moot point as he is terminal w/prostate CA which is 100 percent service connected.

So, if you were exposed to combat, gunfire, aviation, or other noisy military occupation, and your ears are ringing constantly, go fill out a claim. There is no test for tinnitus other than self report. If you have it, don't feel guilty about receiving compensation for it. You earned it.

Please....no PMs. I'm retired.
TSA is offline  
Old 08-18-2011, 06:04 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 939
Default

A few years back I was at a Houston Astros game with my son and we were setting next to a guy who looked very familiar. After a while I struck up a conversation with him and sure enough we served in the same Company in Korea. In that conversation he showed me a pair of new glasses and his new hearing aid and said that the VA had given them to him.............I told him that I knew they were not a result of a "Service Related" injury and he said that he had served three years on active duty and they gave them to him........He said that all you had to do was make an application over the internet, get a number, get a appointment at the VA hospital in Houston and they would just give youe these items and a provide medical care. The fact that these medical problems were not service related made no difference.............

I stewed on that for over a year and said what the hell. I made an application over the internet and in in about 8 weeks my non service related problems were rejected because I made too much money.

I don't care and they are right I probably make too much money whatever that means. The problem I have is that apparently there are a lot of people out there getting a lot of money/services/etc. from the VA for what ever health issue they have that is not service related and the test is how much money you make. So what we have here really is another Government run social program..........Looking at the big picture how many dollars are being given away that really do not need to be.......
Picaroon is offline  
Old 08-18-2011, 06:21 PM
  #14  
TSA
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: St Pete/Islamorada
Posts: 6,123
Default

Originally Posted by Picaroon View Post

I don't care and they are right I probably make too much money whatever that means.
Two types of benefits.

Service connected (related to service) income has no bearing on compensation

Non-Service connected (disabilities not related to service) otherwise called NSC Pension. This is for low income disabled vets who served during wartime. If your income exceeds a certain threshold (very low) you would not qualify for compensation. For Picaroon, this was the case.

Last edited by TSA; 08-18-2011 at 06:53 PM.
TSA is offline  
Old 08-18-2011, 06:44 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SE NC
Posts: 125
Default

Don't post much but had to chime in.

Bugbuster - Your family needs you. I just started mine at a ripe age of 32 and I am 32. Even if most are grown up you will never know how much they rely on you for love and support. Please feel free to PM me at anytime for anything(or call, I am located in Wilmington NC). Please look at the other thread for an ease to your pain. Screw the gov as you only have one person to answer to! Everyone is here for you and your time of need!
Maticuls is offline  
Old 08-18-2011, 08:11 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The left coast.
Posts: 1,881
Default

Maybe I'm jealous or maybe it just doesn't sound right, but he got away with it.

He was an Army crew chief on helicopters in Vietnam and claimed that the noise from the helicopters ruined his hearing. I worked on B52s, KC135s, C5s, C130s which by the way were the noisiest plane I ever worked on, etc. Ear muffs were available but never used them.

As far as the work related disability, he injured his back in another work group then transferred into our work group because it was supposedly "physically easier". We still had to do the same physical work and then some as his previous work group, but he and a few others somehow managed to not have to do the added physical work (thank you union). I think his previous work group didn't want him as he would probably lower their work productivity which was very important to them. AFTER RETIRING, he hired a well known Social Security disability law firm to represent him. The first hearing on his disability was denied by Social Security but then second hearing granted him benefits.

I don't hate him, in fact we still keep in touch via emails. I just don't think it's fair to others who really need these benefits. It's not like he's really disabled, just old like me!
the good life is offline  
Old 08-18-2011, 11:44 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Not in Texas
Posts: 10,213
Default

Originally Posted by TSA View Post

My father ... at 76 ... is terminal w/prostate CA which is 100 percent service connected.
Sorry about your father. I'm wondering about your claim of "100% service connected" since an estimated 100% (e.g. every) male has prostate cancer by age 80 anyways. Any man that reaches age 80 WITHOUT prostate cancer is an exception.
Eyeball is offline  
Old 08-19-2011, 04:38 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,350
Default

Originally Posted by Port Monster View Post
There has to be some level of proof/evidence to get coverage under either. Neither the Govt. or Comp carrier are just going to start writing checks because you say you are hurt. And trust me - both do not want to write checks. There are time limitations, doctors reports, testing and other safetys in place that (sure there are going to be some scams) keep everything in check. So, as long as he has gone through the process and they agreed they are responsible for the injuries I think it is fair game. JMO
Yes - I think they do a good job overall although I have seen errors both ways. Ground combat Nam Vets have a very easy threshold for Diabetes and various cancers and some forms of heart disease presumed to be related to agent orange. Its almost automatic if you have those things and many get the 30% level - which allows you to use their facilities for everything.

Originally Posted by Bugbuster View Post
My body is fugged up as chinese arithmetic. I can barely walk and someways can't. Declared disabled by the VA and Private DR's. MS and severe diffuse idiopathic skeletal hypertosis. No check for me. VA gives me enough drugs to keep me marginally comatose. Wife works and sons help pay the bills. What a wonderful world it has become. I see a bullet in my near future. No need to burden my family and suffer. Enough is enough.
I am so very sorry to hear this. Hopefully there are professional counselors at the VA or otherwhere that you could talk to. I now its hard and I can't imagine your pain but as said above by swifty, your family loves you - we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. You are not alone and people do care.


Originally Posted by TSA View Post
To the OP and LI Sound Grunt.........while I am currently retired, I was a VA decision-maker (GS-13) who worked in the Federal Building/benefits office granting and denying VA disability claims. I can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that the veteran described in the OP is not receiving service connected compensation for hearing loss. While he is likely 0 percent service connected for bilateral HL, he is receiving 10 percent SC disability ($100 approx per month) for "tinnitus" more commonly called ringing in the ears.

FWIW CFR which is set by congress has placed the threshold for compensable hearing loss so incredibly high that the majority of those with service connected HL are at the 0 percent level. A practical example of this threshold would be that if you can hear any sound at all from a normal conversation in a telephone headset, you would still not quite meet the threshold for compensation. You must be nearly completely deaf to establish a compensable level of disability. There are a few disabilities I think are unfairly compensated and HL is one of them. Additionally, believe it or not, with modern equipment, hearing loss is nearly impossible fake.

Yes, the VA will give you free hearing aids which sooner or later you will need. My father has been using the free hearing aids for some time now, and at 76 he is so deaf, he is now compensable, but it is a moot point as he is terminal w/prostate CA which is 100 percent service connected.

So, if you were exposed to combat, gunfire, aviation, or other noisy military occupation, and your ears are ringing constantly, go fill out a claim. There is no test for tinnitus other than self report. If you have it, don't feel guilty about receiving compensation for it. You earned it.

Please....no PMs. I'm retired.
Thanks for chiming in. I am very sorry to hear of your father. This is a very good explanation. I can appreciate the problems with hearing loss as we all eventually get it. Personally I do know it was never the same since Nam and heck - carry on troop - every job has dangers and affects you somehow. I really think those copymachione and printer fumes and computer screens are going to one day be found to have cause at least mental disorders.... Anyway as for hearing, Maybe they did provide the explanation you gave and presented in some real technical mumbo jumbo that I ignored... Now I am glad I did not appeal because I can indeed hear normal conversations - background noise seems overwhelming and discerning consonants is very difficult with many words.
LI Sound Grunt is offline  
Old 08-19-2011, 06:23 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 974
Default

Sorry to be way off topic, LI Grant, do you use the VA Hospital in West Haven?
IMPLiberty is offline  
Old 08-19-2011, 06:42 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,350
Default

Originally Posted by IMPLiberty View Post
Sorry to be way off topic, LI Grant, do you use the VA Hospital in West Haven?
This is not off topic. I went there for my hearing test. The people were very nice. Before that I have only gone to Newington which is much closer. WEest Haven is a longer ride for me.
LI Sound Grunt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread