Notices

hot tub shock

Old 06-10-2011, 05:22 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,284
Default hot tub shock

My son and his friend were in the HT. I went out to check on them and put my hand in the water and I felt a shock, more like a constant current. It was very mild, somewhat like touching a 9v battery to your tongue but not even that strong. They didn't feel it in the water but I guess because I was grounded it was going through me. What's the story, maybe insulation got chewed off somewhere...there are chipmonks that I see going under it all the time?
NJFISH is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 05:47 PM
  #2  
tjr
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Mattituck, New York
Posts: 166
Default

You need to get a tech/electrician out to find what is leaking voltage to ground. Test gfci to see if it trips. Also any structure arond spa needs to be bonded. What brand spa do you have?
Tom
tjr is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 05:55 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,284
Default

It's a Maxx/Coleman Tahoe. Today was the 1st I felt this. I'll call my electrician tomorrow.
NJFISH is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 05:58 PM
  #4  
tjr
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Mattituck, New York
Posts: 166
Default

Most likely the chipmunks chewed the wires going to the circ pump or heater etc. A good way to keep them out is to throw a handful of mothballs in the equipment compartment.
tjr is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 06:43 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 9,087
Default

That's scary - do you have a gfi breaker on it???
Flot is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 07:31 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,982
Default

The hot tub is supposed to have a GFI. Mine has a 220V / 501 GFI breaker.

That would prevent a shock as you've described.
wingless is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 07:44 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,596
Default

Heyyyyyyyy...............

Ranger88 is offline  
Old 06-11-2011, 03:31 AM
  #8  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 18,516
Default

Kind of funny you mention that, was reading somewhere the other day that you GFI breakers can go bad and they need to be checked especially on hot tubs.

I always worry about ours but heck it sits out there running and I keep checking water and chemicals but nobody ever uses damn thing
tprice is offline  
Old 06-11-2011, 04:21 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bright Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,502
Default

Had a customer who removed a hot tub once but never eliminated the electrical feed . He accidentally turned on the breaker which sent power into the ground near his pool. Someone who was swimming grabbed the metal ladder to exit and got electrocuted. Get it checked out immediately.
Mine Now is offline  
Old 06-11-2011, 05:39 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,284
Default

Electric is to code, it has a gfci. I just checked it and the GFCI is working. When the rain stops I'll remove the panels to see if I can find any chaffing or chewing... How can I check for current leak?
NJFISH is offline  
Old 06-11-2011, 05:42 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,069
Default

Originally Posted by NJFISH View Post
Electric is to code, it has a gfci. I just checked it and the GFCI is working. When the rain stops I'll remove the panels to see if I can find any chaffing or chewing... How can I check for current leak?
If electric was to code you wouldn't be getting a shock.
gort is offline  
Old 06-11-2011, 05:45 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Downeast, North Carolina
Posts: 6,131
Default

Tell them they need to turn off their electric "toys" in the hot tub.















Electric boats and such, what were you thinking?
davedowneast is offline  
Old 06-11-2011, 05:53 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Downeast, North Carolina
Posts: 6,131
Default

BTW, there are different GFCI's and they need to be properly wired. A good 240V GFCI is expensive.
Attached Images  
davedowneast is offline  
Old 06-11-2011, 06:08 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Daytona, Fl
Posts: 1,075
Default

sounds like a bad ground somewhere davedownsouth is right but they must have exposed some wires
ozzyaa is offline  
Old 06-11-2011, 07:07 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,350
Default

I am a do it yourselfer - but this is when I call a licensed pro.....
LI Sound Grunt is offline  
Old 06-11-2011, 07:18 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mt. Pleasant SC
Posts: 1,040
Default

A defective heater is about the only place water could get to a power source. Ez to check. turn off heater stick hand in water.If you had shoes on or were on a carpet or matt you could have been getting a lot more voltage than you felt.
Lyle29464 is offline  
Old 06-11-2011, 07:55 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 1,675
Default

Hopefully you removed your son and friend from the hot tub in immediate fashion. Do not use it until the issue is resolved. Why chance it?
PROFINITY is offline  
Old 06-11-2011, 07:58 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,284
Default

Originally Posted by PROFINITY View Post
Hopefully you removed your son and friend from the hot tub in immediate fashion. Do not use it until the issue is resolved. Why chance it?
Absolutely. Got them right out and have since shut the breaker.
NJFISH is offline  
Old 06-11-2011, 08:29 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 1,675
Default



GOOD DAD!
PROFINITY is offline  
Old 06-12-2011, 02:49 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,284
Default

I just used my multi-tester with the pos lead in the tub and the neg in the ground and got a reading of 0.4v.
NJFISH is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread