Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Freedom 50, how does your state rank.

Notices

Freedom 50, how does your state rank.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:42 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: LOBX/Bahamas
Posts: 1,795
Default Freedom 50, how does your state rank.

http://mercatus.org/freedom-50-states-2011/CA

Interesting site, take a look at your state, here in NC we are ranked 18th.
Huntersun is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 09:42 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Poquoson, VA
Posts: 4,235
Default

11 for FLA
Mardi-Gras is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 PM
  #3  
dht
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fairhope, Alabama
Posts: 528
Default

19 for alabama! I don't go with their recommendations for more freedom though..

Repealing a law to make people wear helmets on motorcycles? repeal a law that make bicyclists wear helmets?
dht is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 03:21 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
ladyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lake champlain vermont
Posts: 30,178
Default

what kinda freedom up here we are a free carry state some of the study must be weighted different
ladyjane is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 04:37 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,654
Default

Alabama just passed the most punitive Immigration law in the country, so we can boast of the toughest boating laws, toughest immigration, toughest alcohol/drug laws and we tax people on food. This is the most repressive state in the union for poorer people; its confusing that we're not at 49 or 50.

What puts Alabama much higher up the ladder is the amount of business freedom allowed. Around here, large land owner and timber interests pay almost nothing in taxes.

Last edited by bamaboy473; 06-10-2011 at 04:58 AM.
bamaboy473 is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 04:46 AM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: coconut creek
Posts: 36
Default

Missouri #5 I do agree with the right to work suggestion
Fishfry23 is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 04:59 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 1,516
Default

Mississippi #24, Good place to grow and smoke weed! Haha
swampu is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 05:20 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,134
Default

#9 in the Old Dominion.

While this is fun, what does it mean to be the most free in a Country of slaves.

It would be interesting to see a graph starting in 1776 till now showing the loss of freedoms.
mobjack22 is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 05:44 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NoneYa
Posts: 4,507
Default

Originally Posted by Fishfry23 View Post
Missouri #5 I do agree with the right to work suggestion

The Right to Work laws failed in the 80's when it came to the vote. Wonder if it will the next time it goes on the ballad.

Our pot laws are too restrictive? So if our pot laws are weak we are more free? Weird bias in this study.
Mr. Paul is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 05:58 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: atlantic coast
Posts: 176
Default

just another " the sky is falling article "

we have travelled to a lot of places in the world and we always feel safer and free-er when back in the USA.
GMTA is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 06:33 AM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: coconut creek
Posts: 36
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
The Right to Work laws failed in the 80's when it came to the vote. Wonder if it will the next time it goes on the ballad.

Our pot laws are too restrictive? So if our pot laws are weak we are more free? Weird bias in this study.
agreed
Fishfry23 is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mobile, Al.
Posts: 1,448
Default

Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Alabama just passed the most punitive Immigration law in the country, so we can boast of the toughest boating laws, toughest immigration, toughest alcohol/drug laws and we tax people on food. This is the most repressive state in the union for poorer people; its confusing that we're not at 49 or 50.

What puts Alabama much higher up the ladder is the amount of business freedom allowed. Around here, large land owner and timber interests pay almost nothing in taxes.
The auto industry is flocking here too.
Joe Dirt is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 10:13 AM
  #13  
dht
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fairhope, Alabama
Posts: 528
Default

Originally Posted by GMTA View Post
just another " the sky is falling article "

we have travelled to a lot of places in the world and we always feel safer and free-er when back in the USA.
I wouldn't wanna live anywhere else.
dht is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 10:14 AM
  #14  
dht
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fairhope, Alabama
Posts: 528
Default

Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
The auto industry is flocking here too.
Thats a good thing for the state.
dht is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 240
Default

ny the worst in the country, go figure, if they can't tax it, license it, regulate it. they make it illegal, boat and truck registration is not that bad. the dec (dept of conservation) does a bang up job. they are in every aspect of your life waterfront house they claim juridiction of the first 25 feet above the high water mark. about cutting your lawn? commercial fisherman buy a license, then a quota so they can work. our politicians are fine upstanding, or should i say erect individuals.try leaving the state with a truck and trailer. taxes, tolls utilites, we are out of control. a recent poll stated 75 percent of the baby boomers were planning on leaving within the next 6 years. who is going to pay for this states out of control budget
eendreno is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread