Notices

Freedom in the 50 States

Old 06-09-2011, 10:02 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Not in Texas
Posts: 10,213
Default Freedom in the 50 States

How free are you in your state?

This is an evaluation and ranking of economic and personal freedom for each of the 50 states.

See and read about the evaluation here: http://mercatus.org/freedom-50-states-2011

Individual state ranking are listed here, the most free state is shown as number 1; the least free state is number 50. Click on a state to read more details about it:

State Freedom Rankings
Eyeball is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 01:12 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sharon Springs, NY
Posts: 4,515
Default

Wow Joe (if I remember correctly) you've been AWOL for some time.
And by the way, thank you for reminding me that my state sucks!
Mike Boehler is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 01:43 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dulcecita Lures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 16,758
Default

Hmmm. I'm surprised we're middle of the pack. We've got the most liberal gun laws in the country. We must suck in other areas!
Dulcecita Lures is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 01:58 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,095
Default

Originally Posted by Dulcecita Lures View Post
Hmmm. I'm surprised we're middle of the pack. We've got the most liberal gun laws in the country. We must suck in other areas!
I think VT and AK got you beat on gun laws...as far as i know there are the only two left that allow concealed carry without a permit. NH legislature tried to repeal ours this year but it failed so now we have to pay the $15 or whatever it is for a 5 year "license".
Qb1rdman is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 02:08 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Not in Texas
Posts: 10,213
Default

Originally Posted by Dulcecita Lures View Post
Hmmm. I'm surprised we're middle of the pack. We've got the most liberal gun laws in the country. We must suck in other areas!

You gotta click on a state and read. For AZ:

Freedom Rankings

  • #22 Overall
  • #22 Economic
  • #25 Personal

Analysis

Arizona is decent on both economic (#22) and personal (#26) freedom, ending up at number 22 overall, but dropping nine places from 2007. The state does particularly well on gun laws, alcohol regulations and taxes, home- and private-school regulations, labor laws, and its liability system, but it has changed dramatically for the worse in government spending, smoking bans, the taking of DNA from some felony arrestees without a conviction, and employer verification of legal-resident status. As of this writing, Arizona’s “clean elections” law is under judicial review. Although of course not appearing in our index, Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s antics have attracted unfavorable nationwide attention.36 Also not covered by the period of our index is the controversial stop and-identify law.
Eyeball is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 02:09 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Not in Texas
Posts: 10,213
Default

Originally Posted by Mike Boehler View Post

... And by the way, thank you for reminding me that my state sucks!

Yeah, sorry about that.
Eyeball is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 02:12 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dulcecita Lures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 16,758
Default

Originally Posted by Qb1rdman View Post
I think VT and AK got you beat on gun laws...as far as i know there are the only two left that allow concealed carry without a permit. NH legislature tried to repeal ours this year but it failed so now we have to pay the $15 or whatever it is for a 5 year "license".
Nope. As of this past year, you can concealed carry here. No permit, no license, no fee. They used to make you get a silly permit and attend a two day class, but that got axed. That's why I was kind of surprised where we are on the list. Many Americans view that as a top personal freedom! (well, not libs, but most rational Americans).

No surprises on the bottom three, though.
Dulcecita Lures is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 02:18 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dulcecita Lures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 16,758
Default

Originally Posted by Eyeball View Post
Although of course not appearing in our index, Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s antics have attracted unfavorable nationwide attention. Also not covered by the period of our index is the controversial stop and identify law.
Liberal poll -- blaaaahhhhhh!!!! Maybe all the illegals will go to Alabama now and protest, being that their Governor just passed the toughest illegal immigration bill in the country today! Well, one can hope! They say it doesn't "appear in the poll," but you know damned well SB1070 and our other actions against the flood of illegals in this state had a BIG part in dropping us that 9 points!!!
Dulcecita Lures is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 02:32 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,095
Default

Originally Posted by Dulcecita Lures View Post
Nope. As of this past year, you can concealed carry here. No permit, no license, no fee. They used to make you get a silly permit and attend a two day class, but that got axed. That's why I was kind of surprised where we are on the list. Many Americans view that as a top personal freedom! (well, not libs, but most rational Americans).

No surprises on the bottom three, though.
Qb1rdman is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 03:52 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 7,828
Default

VA dropped 2 points.....but we're still #9.

Conceal carry requires a 3-4 hour class and a $50/5 year fee. Sign the form at the station and they mail it back to you 10-20 days later.
t500hps is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 04:19 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,649
Default

Here's what it says about Sweet Home:

Alabama has a strangely restrictive alcohol regime, with the second-highest beer taxes and highest spirits taxes in the country.

In addition, Alabama’s marijuana laws are unusually punitive: A three-year mandatory minimum sentence exists for all marijuana cultivation or sale convictions, by far the highest in the country, and the maximum sentence for a single cultivation or sale conviction is life in prison.

Furthermore, Alabama’s court system is one of the worst in the country according to the Chamber of Commerce survey


Heck, I might as well move to Haiti and get free...........
bamaboy473 is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 04:27 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 20,654
Default

Originally Posted by Mike Boehler View Post
Wow Joe (if I remember correctly) you've been AWOL for some time.
And by the way, thank you for reminding me that my state sucks!
X's 2 for my state!

Eyeball,
Everything OK?
Haven't seen you much lately.

.
240 LTS is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:18 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dulcecita Lures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 16,758
Default

Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Here's what it says about Sweet Home:

Alabama has a strangely restrictive alcohol regime, with the second-highest beer taxes and highest spirits taxes in the country.

In addition, Alabama’s marijuana laws are unusually punitive: A three-year mandatory minimum sentence exists for all marijuana cultivation or sale convictions, by far the highest in the country, and the maximum sentence for a single cultivation or sale conviction is life in prison.

Furthermore, Alabama’s court system is one of the worst in the country according to the Chamber of Commerce survey


Heck, I might as well move to Haiti and get free...........
Or move to AZ and down just a couple notches? My brother's in Huntsville and I thought I was going to end up like a man in a round room looking for a corner to piss in when I went out trying to find a bottle of booze. Hell, at least many Circle K's and any grocery store here sells booze. According to my brother (who's as full of crap as anybody), he said they didn't want to encourage the trailer park trash to sit around and drink all damn day!

All those tough drug laws don't seem to stop the meth heads that live in the trailer down the hill from his house, either. He's always bitchin' about them!
Dulcecita Lures is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread