Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Giving out tickets by camera yet?

Notices

Giving out tickets by camera yet?

Old 06-09-2011, 11:16 AM
  #161  
Senior Member
 
Captain Willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: HAAF
Posts: 25,434
Default

Originally Posted by Eyeball View Post
I think the idea is that folks pulling heavy loads need to be responsible for driving with that load, e.g. they need to drive slower such that they can stop without the need to run a red light, run into a stopped car, run over a old lady crossing the street, etc.
So--there is no discretion. Again--a whole new constitutional problem. This is a low level problem in the scheme of what the Gov should and should not be spending tax dollars on. It is expensive and solves nothing.
Captain Willie is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 11:24 AM
  #162  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 1,675
Default

Slick- This issue is NOT about those who break the law. This issue is about those that are unfairly prosecuted. I know of a few instances where people did NOT break the law and the camera took a picture that appeared they were breaking the law and received a ticket in the mail. A traffic cop (who was NOT in the picture) was directing traffic and instructed the driver to go through the light even though it was red. This is another tax and a sorry ass excuse of police work and public safety. One day, when much of this type of stuff becomes automated, police personnel will NO LONGER be needed to the extent it is today. Maybe the police department will eventually send out robots to take complaints, manage domestics, etc. More people will be unemployed. It may read here to be far fetched to some of you but it is in FACT happening in different industries. The amount of toll collectors is significantly less today than it was years ago because it is now a highly automated process. Think about it. I rather employ people to perform jobs like police work. How about the guy who intentionally runs a red light because he is taking someone to the hospital who is in need of medical attention? If it was your life would you say, "STOP! THE LIGHT IS RED! I CAN WAIT! I DON"T WANT TO DIE BEING A LAW BREAKER AND I DON'T WANT A TICKET"! Life is dynamic, NOT static, and there exists many different circumstances that only a true J.O. will go by the book. Human interaction is usually best. Most people do NOT want government to continue to invade our lives. Some people enjoy this sort of thing like my neighbor and IMO, these type of people, like my neighbor, live a solitary life and are not socially well adjusted from what I have observed over the years. Anyone who enjoys this sort of thing should move to Russia or China, you type of folks will fit right in!
PROFINITY is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 AM
  #163  
TSA
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: St Pete/Islamorada
Posts: 6,123
Default

Originally Posted by Eyeball View Post
.......... If guys pulling heavy boats can't stop safely for red lights, they shouldn't be towing heavy boats.
there can be a myriad of reasons and conditions affecting a heavy tow vehicle's ability to react to a yellow and not breach a red light. these are factors that only a LEO at the scene can consider when deciding whether a ticket is warranted. and therein also lies the major difference between camera enforcement at tolls and red lights. red lights require judgement, tolls do not.
TSA is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 11:31 AM
  #164  
Senior Member
 
Captain Willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: HAAF
Posts: 25,434
Default

You have an absolute right to stand up and challenge any charge brought by government. This is a fundamental US citizen right.

Those of you that say you should not exercise your Constitutional rights are full of sh!t. If you sit down and shut up the day will come when:

GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT.
Captain Willie is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 11:45 AM
  #165  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 1,675
Default

Originally Posted by Capt.Willie View Post
You have an absolute right to stand up and challenge any charge brought by government. This is a fundamental US citizen right.

Those of you that say you should not exercise your Constitutional rights are full of sh!t. If you sit down and shut up the day will come when:

GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT.

That day is here NOW!
PROFINITY is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 11:50 AM
  #166  
Senior Member
 
Captain Willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: HAAF
Posts: 25,434
Default

Originally Posted by PROFINITY View Post
That day is here NOW!
We are on the ledge. Yet--we keep crying for more Gov. control. Crazy to screw yourself. But, that is human nature--just look at all the Ron Jeremy's in the room.
Captain Willie is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 12:05 PM
  #167  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
PLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Snapper Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Republic of West Florida - the ORIGINAL lone star state
Posts: 17,791
Default

I am against red light cameras.

In the interest of factual data: this morning the Houston Police Department announced that since disabling all of the red light cameras in the city of Houston (that's a LOT of cameras), collisions at intersections have risen 137%. I believe the period has been 6 months since they were shut off.

I repeat - I am against the things based on the already outlined due process, less government argument made here.

It will be interesting to see what the statistic for thge City of Houston is one year from now.


Big Al
Snapper Head is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 12:11 PM
  #168  
Senior Member
 
Captain Willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: HAAF
Posts: 25,434
Default

Originally Posted by Snapper Head View Post
I am against red light cameras.

In the interest of factual data: this morning the Houston Police Department announced that since disabling all of the red light cameras in the city of Houston (that's a LOT of cameras), collisions at intersections have risen 137%. I believe the period has been 6 months since they were shut off.

I repeat - I am against the things based on the already outlined due process, less government argument made here.

It will be interesting to see what the statistic for thge City of Houston is one year from now.


Big Al

Actually this article says that accidents in Houston dropped by 16% since removing the cameras:

http://blog.chron.com/newswatch/2011...intersections/
Captain Willie is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 PM
  #169  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
PLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Snapper Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Republic of West Florida - the ORIGINAL lone star state
Posts: 17,791
Default

Seems to be some disagreement from the sources themselves, imagine that

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/traf...ase-in-crashes


Big Al
Snapper Head is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 12:23 PM
  #170  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 254
Default

Originally Posted by slickster View Post
What's the basic issue with this lengthy thread anyway?....if you run a red light, endanger others, the camera clicks and a citation is issued to the owner of the car...the owner needs to get a handle on who they let drive their cars....I'd bet most of you would feel differently if you had been t-boned once or twice by someone running the light...I welcome the cameras...seems most of this thread is about beating the rap....a serious traffic offense has occurred often with tragic results....get real..
That's not my issue. I have been t-boned by a lady eating taco bell who ran a red light. Totaled my car and tore tendons in my hand. Yet I still do not agree with the privatization of law enforcement through inaccurate means. If they want to stop light runners raise the penalty, don't decrease it. Turning traffic enforcement into a "toll" like they have by reducing the fine and removing points is what will truly create more dangerous situations. Your argument for reducing red light runners should actually be against light cameras and for stiffer penalties enforced by LEOs.
WildSideFL is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 12:26 PM
  #171  
Senior Member
 
Captain Willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: HAAF
Posts: 25,434
Default

Originally Posted by WildSideFL View Post
That's not my issue. I have been t-boned by a lady eating taco bell who ran a red light. Totaled my car and tore tendons in my hand. Yet I still do not agree with the privatization of law enforcement through inaccurate means. If they want to stop light runners raise the penalty, don't decrease it. Turning traffic enforcement into a "toll" like they have by reducing the fine and removing points is what will truly create more dangerous situations. Your argument for reducing red light runners should actually be against light cameras and for stiffer penalties enforced by LEOs.
And I have no problem with that. Bravo. Then, the system can work.
Captain Willie is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 12:31 PM
  #172  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 1,675
Default

Originally Posted by WildSideFL View Post
That's not my issue. I have been t-boned by a lady eating taco bell who ran a red light. Totaled my car and tore tendons in my hand. Yet I still do not agree with the privatization of law enforcement through inaccurate means. If they want to stop light runners raise the penalty, don't decrease it. Turning traffic enforcement into a "toll" like they have by reducing the fine and removing points is what will truly create more dangerous situations. Your argument for reducing red light runners should actually be against light cameras and for stiffer penalties enforced by LEOs.
There is intelligent life on this site!

WS- Please don't be logical very often. Doing so only confuses many of these folks.
PROFINITY is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 12:40 PM
  #173  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SouthEast Florida
Posts: 4,365
Default

If everyone actually "drive" when they are in the driver seat there would be no accidents. 98% of all these so called accidents are avoidable before it ever happens.

Fender benders are "cause" by folks who can not properly drive (should never gotten a license in the first place) or folks who are distracted (via cell phone, eating, make up, whatever).

fix stupid upfront and there will be no need for stupid enforcements.




here is an example of stupidity and not driving. on a divided highway. there is a fender bender on the south bound lane. obviously the south bound lane is congested. there is absolutely "no" reason why the north bound lane is also congested. instead of driving maintaining traffic on the non fender bender side - folks on the north bound lane slow down to a crawl so they can (look) be entertain by the accident on the south bound lane.
UaVaj is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 01:54 PM
  #174  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,215
Default

Interesting development -

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,2238713.story
23Dorado is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 02:43 PM
  #175  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 23,576
Default

Originally Posted by Seacat FL View Post
That bill failed.

Gert used to it they are coming. Slow down. Take a little time approaching a light. Problem solved.
I resent the implication that I run red lights. In fact, I'm a better driver than you. I'm just NOT a sheeple and do not condone unnecessary and questionable intrusion from our gubment.

I am against our society becoming Orwellian..just because other communities and countries do "it" doesn't make it right. We have certain rights and freedoms..one is the right to excessive intrusion by our government. Sure, I grew up in the '60's..I'm VERY skeptical about government control and even excessive police interference. That doesn't mean I'm a law breaker...I just don't like the course things are taking, and this is a first step.

You poo-poo the information that our vehicles can provide..well, it is used now, and us gearheads are all too aware of the implications. (to be contd)
billinstuart is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:32 PM
  #176  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,306
Default

Originally Posted by TSA View Post
does the camera take into consideration guys towing heavy boats and trailers who were unable to stop safely? these are factors that can justify busting red, and that only police on the scene can consider.
If they are unable to stop safely for the red light they are going too fast to start with.
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:34 PM
  #177  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,306
Default

Originally Posted by billinstuart View Post
I resent the implication that I run red lights. In fact, I'm a better driver than you. I'm just NOT a sheeple and do not condone unnecessary and questionable intrusion from our gubment.

I am against our society becoming Orwellian..just because other communities and countries do "it" doesn't make it right. We have certain rights and freedoms..one is the right to excessive intrusion by our government. Sure, I grew up in the '60's..I'm VERY skeptical about government control and even excessive police interference. That doesn't mean I'm a law breaker...I just don't like the course things are taking, and this is a first step.

You poo-poo the information that our vehicles can provide..well, it is used now, and us gearheads are all too aware of the implications. (to be contd)
You really have no way to backup your claim that you are a better driver than I am. Absurd to claim that.

There is absolutely nothing Orwellian about getting a ticket for running a red light however the crime is observed. Its dangerous.

The highways are for transportation not motorsports.
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:40 PM
  #178  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,306
Default

Originally Posted by WildSideFL View Post
That's not my issue. I have been t-boned by a lady eating taco bell who ran a red light. Totaled my car and tore tendons in my hand. Yet I still do not agree with the privatization of law enforcement through inaccurate means. If they want to stop light runners raise the penalty, don't decrease it. Turning traffic enforcement into a "toll" like they have by reducing the fine and removing points is what will truly create more dangerous situations. Your argument for reducing red light runners should actually be against light cameras and for stiffer penalties enforced by LEOs.

Its absurd to claim that law enforcement is privatized by red light cameras. The programs are administered by local government and you have the right to hearing if you disagree with the charge.

Radar guns are manufactured and maintained by contractors. Traffic signals are installed and maintained by contractors at the direction of the government.

At one time cops patrolled on foot or horseback with no communication devices but a whistle. Technological progress has just enabled newer better and more efficient ways to enforce the law.

Red light cameras are a logical and necessary extension of that progress.
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:41 PM
  #179  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,306
Default

Originally Posted by 23Dorado View Post
So a County Judge issued a ruling. It will be overturned as the other low level decisions have been.
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:43 PM
  #180  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,306
Default

Originally Posted by Capt.Willie View Post
We are on the ledge. Yet--we keep crying for more Gov. control. Crazy to screw yourself. But, that is human nature--just look at all the Ron Jeremy's in the room.
The government has always been in control of automobile traffic safety. Red light laws are very old.

Red light cameras do not expand this authority at all.
Seacat FL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread