Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Giving out tickets by camera yet?

Notices

Giving out tickets by camera yet?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:41 AM
  #121  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,356
Default

Originally Posted by Seacat FL View Post
What constitutional right do you have to run red lights?

No warrant is needed to take a photograph in a public place that proves a violation has occurred.

I am surprsied that you haven't figured it out yet Sparky, that the argument isn't about running red lights, it's about the due process the constitution grants you upon acusal.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 09:42 AM
  #122  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,356
Default

Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
People who run red lights are a hazzard to other motorists and passengers. If people didn't run red lights, there would be no need for enforcement.

Now the choice is - cameras or live LEOs. As a taxpayer, do you really want to fund enough additional LEOs to watch all the intersections where red light running is a safety issue?

I would hope not. Cameras are a more efficient use of resources and taxpayer money.

I would offer that the most effective choice is simply a 2 second delay between when one light turns red and the other turns green. Most accidents occur in those two seconds.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 09:50 AM
  #123  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,295
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
I am surprsied that you haven't figured it out yet Sparky, that the argument isn't about running red lights, it's about the due process the constitution grants you upon acusal.
Funny. The courts and legislature in Florida find it legal.
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:04 AM
  #124  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,356
Default

Originally Posted by Seacat FL View Post
Funny. The courts and legislature in Florida find it legal.
And in other jurisdictions parts of the system or process has been ruled unconstitutional. When something treads that closely to violating the constitution, freedom lovers often take offense. That's what people are complaining about here. Nobody has even come close to asserting that they have a constitutional right to run a traffic light and I think you are being either disingenuous or plain damn dumb for suggesting so.

My biggest heartache is that redlight cameras are installed under the guise of safety. A two second delay is the BEST way to improve safety and it doesn't cost anything to make that happen. Yet in jurisdictions that have installed redlight cameras, one intersection will have a camera and the next one down the road won't have a camera or time delay. That's nonsensical to me.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:04 AM
  #125  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Not in Texas
Posts: 10,213
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post

... that the argument isn't about running red lights, it's about the due process the constitution grants you upon acusal.

Most traffic law violations are infractions. Someone accused of an infraction does not enjoy the same due process available to someone accused of a misdemeanor or a felony; e.g. someone accused of an infraction does not necessarily have the right to trial by jury.
Eyeball is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 AM
  #126  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake Murray, SC
Posts: 4,234
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
And in other jurisdictions parts of the system or process has been ruled unconstitutional. When something treads that closely to violating the constitution, freedom lovers often take offense. That's what people are complaining about here. Nobody has even come close to asserting that they have a constitutional right to run a traffic light and I think you are being either disingenuous or plain damn dumb for suggesting so.

My biggest heartache is that redlight cameras are installed under the guise of safety. A two second delay is the BEST way to improve safety and it doesn't cost anything to make that happen. Yet in jurisdictions that have installed redlight cameras, one intersection will have a camera and the next one down the road won't have a camera or time delay. That's nonsensical to me.
Good post!
jrolin1 is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:12 AM
  #127  
aln
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: West America
Posts: 3,642
Default

Originally Posted by Eyeball View Post
Most traffic law violations are infractions. Someone accused of an infraction does not enjoy the same due process available to someone accused of a misdemeanor or a felony; e.g. someone accused of an infraction does not necessarily have the right to trial by jury.
I'm glad someone finally pointed this out. Some are equating red light cameras to jackbooted thugs pulling you out of your home in the middle of the night and hauling you off to the gulag..
aln is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:15 AM
  #128  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,356
Default

Originally Posted by Eyeball View Post
Most traffic law violations are infractions. Someone accused of an infraction does not enjoy the same due process available to someone accused of a misdemeanor or a felony; e.g. someone accused of an infraction does not necessarily have the right to trial by jury.
You just made my point. Jurisdictions created a DIFFERENT process for camera infractions than the process people are afforded for traffic violations witnessed by an officer. They did this through changing the legalese associated with the offense.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:31 AM
  #129  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 1,675
Default

What does Seacat do for a living?
PROFINITY is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 AM
  #130  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 8,781
Default

Originally Posted by Seacat FL View Post
Get sued for what?

Enforcing the law?








Cities have been involved in lawsuits as a "contributing factor" in collisions that have caused injuries where the camera's have been installed.

Of course, as we all know, the cities are the ones that usually settle quickly out of court.

And that has been the case.

I'm not saying that it is right, I'm just saying...
ABoater is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:59 AM
  #131  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake Murray, SC
Posts: 4,234
Default

Originally Posted by PROFINITY View Post
What does Seacat do for a living?
He sells traffic cameras.
jrolin1 is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 AM
  #132  
TSA
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: St Pete/Islamorada
Posts: 6,123
Default

Originally Posted by Seacat FL View Post
Funny. The courts and legislature in Florida find it legal.


no, they do not. the majority of tickets are thrown out when contested.

the cameras were pitched to FL cities as a revenue stream to shore up loses from decreased revenue from property taxes. safety is not a driving factor behind the installation of cameras. case and point, several cities are losing money because of the cameras once that happens the cameras go bye bye.
TSA is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 AM
  #133  
aln
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: West America
Posts: 3,642
Default

Originally Posted by TSA View Post
no, they do not. the majority of tickets are thrown out when contested.

the cameras were pitched to FL cities as a revenue stream to shore up loses from decreased revenue from property taxes. safety is not a driving factor behind the installation of cameras. case and point, several cities are losing money because of the cameras once that happens the cameras go bye bye.
You make great point for the people concerned with losing civil liberties from traffic cameras, by summarizing that cities could care less about this issue. They care more for the money, as always.

The camera don't lie. Courts recognize this.
aln is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 11:51 AM
  #134  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NC/GA
Posts: 5,914
Default

I would offer that the most effective choice is simply a 2 second delay between when one light turns red and the other turns green.

Yeah, that's the ticket (pun intended). No way motorists would figure out they have 2 more seconds to run the light ...

I would offer the most effective control is to make the consequences more unpleasant than the gratification derived. Then again, I'm one who thinks DWI laws should have teeth ...
Curmudgeon is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 11:56 AM
  #135  
TSA
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: St Pete/Islamorada
Posts: 6,123
Default

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I would offer that the most effective choice is simply a 2 second delay between when one light turns red and the other turns green.

Yeah, that's the ticket (pun intended). No way motorists would figure out they have 2 more seconds to run the light ...

I would offer the most effective control is to make the consequences more unpleasant than the gratification derived. Then again, I'm one who thinks DWI laws should have teeth ...

most of the major intersections around here have countdowns posted and visible as you approach, so changing the delay sequence of the light really isn't a factor.
Attached Images  
TSA is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 03:06 PM
  #136  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 254
Default

Originally Posted by Seacat FL View Post
It must good thing because all you guys who run red lights don't like it.
You are quite a sanctimonious soul, aren't you? Mine was dismissed, because as stated very clearly I did not run the light, the camera was in fact wrong but the corporation still demanded my money and forced me to take it up with the municipality.

The real answer to preventing people from running red lights is to lengthen the yellow and increase the price and points of a LEO issued situation. Giving a low cost, no point camera ticket option will likely only increase light running because it is a trivial penalty. Of course that is counter to your point so you will likely disagree with that too.
WildSideFL is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 05:34 PM
  #137  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 22,780
Default

So" Boca Raton" is getting red light cameras? Why am I NOT surprised? Boca is the poster child for a slimey, greedy community. If Boca is FOR the cameras, that's all the more reason to NOT want them.

Thanks for the insight, Seacat. If you feel Boca is representative of a progressive, decent community, you haven't lived in Florida very long.
billinstuart is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 06:26 PM
  #138  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 1,675
Default

Boca Raton = Home of the Maggot Mile!
PROFINITY is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 07:45 PM
  #139  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,295
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
I am surprsied that you haven't figured it out yet Sparky, that the argument isn't about running red lights, it's about the due process the constitution grants you upon acusal.

Here is part of a Central Florida City's Red Light Camera Law:

**********************************************

What to do if you receive a Notice of Violation?


Why did I receive this Notice of Violation?
Based upon images captured by the automated system, your vehicle was determined to have failed to comply with a steady red signal. As the owner of the vehicle, the Notice of Violation is mailed to you. For every violation captured by the cameras, the images and video are reviewed and approved by the Cocoa Beach Police Department before a Notice of Violation is issued and mailed to the vehicle’s registered owner.



Where can I view information on the Notice of Violation?
Visit http://www.ViolationInfo.comto view information about your Notice of Violation. You will be asked to enter your Notice and PIN numbers, found on the front of the Notice of Violation, in the upper right corner, inside the red box.


What happens if I ignore the Notice of Violation?
If you fail to respond, a Uniform Traffic Citation (“UTC”) will be issued to you, THE FINE AMOUNT UNDER THIS STATUTE FOR THE STATED INFRACTION WILL INCREASE PER STATE STATUTE and you may become responsible for court fees and costs. Upon issuance of a UTC, you shall have the remedies specified in Florida Statutes § 318.14, which include the right to have a hearing before a designated official, who shall determine whether an infraction has been committed. If the official concludes that no infraction has been committed, no costs or penalties shall be imposed. If the official concludes that an infraction has been committed, the official may impose an additional civil penalty not to exceed $500 and court fees and costs.
http://www.cityofcocoabeach.com/gove...entProgram.htm
**********************************************

You have a right to a hearing. How are you rights violated?
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 08:45 PM
  #140  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 1,675
Default

SC- Give it a rest. If you want to play ball then why not tell us what you do for a living? Let's start with some form of accountability. The majority of folks do NOT agree with you. Deal with it. You want govt. to control our lives and there are those of us who don't. Deal with it. Sooner or later the general public is going to have their fill of this type of crap and things will change. Society is becoming more violent with time for a reason. Police are subjected to more violence against them for a reason. Masturbate this stuff all you want, I'm going to go do the horizontal Cha-Cha with the Mrs.
PROFINITY is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread