Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Giving out tickets by camera yet?

Notices

Giving out tickets by camera yet?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:01 PM
  #81  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,295
Default

Originally Posted by Ft Myers Ken View Post
Not true. You are not responsible for your car's "photographed" infractions. These are all getting dismissed on the basis that it cannot be proven who committed the offense.

Camera's are being removed and taken off line as we speak here in Naples.
Sorry but that is just wrong. Florida courts have upheld their use and will continue to. No "right" is violated.

Getting a red light ticket from someone you loan your car to is perhaps the smallest of the problems you could face when loaning your car.

Who do you think will get sued if someone you loan the car to wrecks it and hurts someone else or himself?

The answer is YOU the car owner, whether you were in it or not.
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 06-07-2011, 09:03 PM
  #82  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,295
Default

Originally Posted by PROFINITY View Post
Seacat- No. I rather ride around with my buddies who are in law enforcement and disregard the law just as they do and when I get pulled over they just show their badge and on we go.

This kind of stuff reminds me of a time when a buddy of mine when I was young, around 19, was behind a police officer in his cruiser at a red light. The officer went through the light whilst everyone else had to stay put. There did not appear to be an emergency by the way. My buddy said, F THAT and drove through the red light also. He was pulled over by a very angry officer who chewed his ass and asked him why he went through the light. My buddy said, "Officer, when I saw you go through the light I figured since you did not have any lights or sirens going that the light must have turned green. I figured you of all people would never break the law". The officer just turned away and hopped in his car and sped away.

Can you say TYRANNY?
Tyranny of what? Enforcement of traffic laws? That is just silly.
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 PM
  #83  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,295
Default

Originally Posted by TSA View Post
..............it is blatantly apparent that you know little to nothing about the subject matter of this thread.
Yes a pole owned and maintained by my city on public property by a contractor. So what?
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 02:59 AM
  #84  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 506
Default

Originally Posted by osudaddy View Post
I am not in favor of running red lights but a yellow light tells me to floor it.
stars-N-stripers is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 03:20 AM
  #85  
cjd
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Severna Park Md
Posts: 4,242
Default

Company I work for counts these tickets as if they where regular tickets. I get 2, and I lose my ability to drive my company car. Since we are not allowed to use our own car, that means I lose my job.

I am that arsehole who does 55 mph on the beltway, and slams on his brakes at yellow lights. Course the day I get locked in the box in DC for more then one light cycle is the day I lose my job. Two clicks of the camera = 2 separate tickets = no job.

I have not had a ticket in 8 years, but they are pretty much all I think about now
cjd is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 04:55 AM
  #86  
Senior Member
 
Captain Willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: HAAF
Posts: 25,434
Default

Originally Posted by ABoater View Post
Well, I can't speak for your specific state, so I'll have to let an expert in your area speak on your laws, BUT, here in California, (with the exception of a few Vehicle Code laws like DUI and Hit & Run) traffic violations are infractions, not misdemeanors.

By signing a citation, the violator is authorizing his "release" by promising to appear in court at a later date. If some NIMROD driver refuses to sign the cite, then we can haul his arse down to the jail and hold him for traffic court.

Or, if the NIMROD driver doesn't have any form of ID, then we can haul him in to fingerprint and ID him.

Unless, of course, he is an illegal. And that is a whole other story...



As far as true misdemeanor crimes go, yes, you are correct. We cannot arrest someone for a misdemeanor offense unless we observe it or we have a witness that is willing to state that they witnessed the crime and want to press charges for it (for example, a petty theft at Sear's witnessed by Sear's security).

If that is the case, then we act solely as the booking agency and the criminal action is up to the victim and the court system.

Again, I am only talking about California. Your state may vary...

Actually--If you can do time for speeding, be arrested, or booked it is a misdemeanor crime.

Now: We all complain about what others do. Then we ask for laws to deal with "those" people. Then we complain about loosing our freedoms etc......

The problem is whenever we ask government to get involved to get "those offenders" we end up restricting ourselves as well. You see Government is incompetent, lazy and greedy. Some higher up policy makers are downright evil and DO wish you harm.

PEOPLE ARE FOOLISH TO WISH THIS INTRUSION INTO THEIR LIVES. IT WILL AND HAS BITTEN OUR ARSES.

I should know. I work for Big Government. These traffic light crap contracts go to the lowest bidder meaning: costs overruns because of unrealistic proposals, inferior cameras, inferior software and YES inferior EMPLOYEES. THEN, an incompetent government Contract Officer is in charge and can never see, catch or comprehend the lack of quality, integrity and competence of the "lowest bidder."

People are being screwed by the "Red Light Camera Operators."

They are the Fox guarding the Henhouse. They make a profit on each ticket on the very project they intentionally under-bidded to get the very contract that they should have never been awarded.

You get what you wish for. BUT, when you can no longer enjoy the things you love like boating and fishing because of over-regulation don't come crying to some lawyer. He should piss on you because he warned you. You are phucking your own ass.
Captain Willie is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 05:48 AM
  #87  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Venice, Florida
Posts: 16,865
Default

This is exactly why I only drive stolen cars.
Mr. Demeanor is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 05:52 AM
  #88  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 22,780
Default

Originally Posted by Seacat FL View Post
Making quite a leap there aren't we?
Not really. The last time we had a loaner car for service, we were only allowed to go to certain counties which were programmed into the cars computer. Electronic stop strips are used to kill a cars computer. Cars navigation systems have been used to help prosecute people for crimes. Many vehicles contain a "black box" program that records ALL vehicle before a crash.

Red light cameras have been used in Yurrip for years. However, remember that most of the rest of the world, including Europe, maintain the "Guilty until proven innocent" concept.

It's ALL about money. If the gubment were REALLY concerned about safety, they would time red lights to give more than ample time to stop, and would add some time before the green light came on to allow the intersection to clear.

BTW, don't YOU look both ways before entering an intersection, or are you so busy talking on your phone and listening to the radio that you blithely just start moving when the light turns green? You, as a driver, do have a responsibility to be diligent and observant!
billinstuart is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 06:04 AM
  #89  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 254
Default

Originally Posted by Seacat FL View Post
Just don't run red lights. Slow down a liitle. Be prepared to stop. Problem solved. No ticket.
Except when the for profit corporation issues and collects for something that was never a violation of the law. The issue is not running red lights like you are stuck on. The issue is that now Walmart has legal precedence to issue and collect tickets for violation of their interpretation of laws witnessed by their security cameras. My ticket was computer generated from Arizona for an infraction that never occurred in Florida City, when I said I wanted to fight it I was lied to and told it could result in points and I should just pay it. All in the name of corporate profit. Tell me how that is a good thing? A LEO would not have issued a ticket to me as upheld by the dismissal.
WildSideFL is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 AM
  #90  
Senior Member
 
Captain Willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: HAAF
Posts: 25,434
Default

Red Light news from LA:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/...cameras-in-la/

Last edited by Captain Willie; 06-08-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Captain Willie is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 AM
  #91  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake Murray, SC
Posts: 4,234
Default

From Capt.Willie's link.
The problems for red light cameras go back to 2009 when CBS2/KCAL9 Investigative Reporter David Goldstein found there is no evidence the cameras reduced accidents, deaths or injuries at the intersections where they were placed and in fact, found those numbers actually increased at some intersections.
jrolin1 is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 07:47 AM
  #92  
Senior Member
 
Captain Willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: HAAF
Posts: 25,434
Default

Originally Posted by jrolin1 View Post
From Capt.Willie's link.
The problems for red light cameras go back to 2009 when CBS2/KCAL9 Investigative Reporter David Goldstein found there is no evidence the cameras reduced accidents, deaths or injuries at the intersections where they were placed and in fact, found those numbers actually increased at some intersections.
This is what do gooder's that can't mind their own business achieve for us. Chaos that hides the greedy, swollen, incestious tick called government bureaucracy.
Captain Willie is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 07:47 AM
  #93  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 8,781
Default

Originally Posted by jrolin1 View Post
From Capt.Willie's link.
The problems for red light cameras go back to 2009 when CBS2/KCAL9 Investigative Reporter David Goldstein found there is no evidence the cameras reduced accidents, deaths or injuries at the intersections where they were placed and in fact, found those numbers actually increased at some intersections.









Despite that statement being made by a reporter, (and as I already stated in an earlier post) it is a FACT that the number of collisions increased in quite a few locations where the camera's were installed due to driver's slamming on the brakes in an attempt to not get caught by the camera.

That FACT is brought to you by an LEO in which the dept has monitored the situation.

And yes, the worst intersections resulted in the camera's being removed...
ABoater is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 AM
  #94  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,295
Default

Better get used to them. More on the way. South Florida really needs them. Its a zoo down there.


Boca Raton to install red light cameras


By Rebekah MonsonSun Sentinel
Posted: 6:33 p.m. Monday, June 6, 2011
After months of delay, red light cameras should be operating at five Boca Raton intersections by August.
The city delayed installation to await legal challenges and possible action from the Legislature, but the cameras now will be installed within the next two months, Assistant City Manager Mike Woika said.
“The state did not ban them and a lot of the legal challenges are winding down, so we’re going forward,” he said.
Cameras will be installed at five intersections: Glades Road and NW 15th Avenue, pointing east and west; Glades Road and St. Andrews Boulevard, pointing south, east and west; Yamato Road and St. Andrews Boulevard, pointing north; Yamato Road and Jog Road, pointing west; and Clint Moore Road and Military Trail, pointing east.
Signs will be posted at intersections with cameras, and drivers photographed running red lights will receive warnings for the first 30 days the cameras are operating, Woika said.
After the warning period, fines will be $158, but violation won't include points on the driver's license.
From each fine, the city will get $75; the state, $67.20; and the county, $15.80.


http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/bo...s-1522576.html
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 07:52 AM
  #95  
Senior Member
 
Captain Willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: HAAF
Posts: 25,434
Default

Originally Posted by Seacat FL View Post
[B][I][FONT=Arial][B][SIZE=2]From each fine, the city will get $75; the state, $67.20; and the county, $15.80.


http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/bo...s-1522576.html
That is what it is all about. Not traffic control. Not safety. REVENUE.

Wake up before your pockets get emptied by the next scam comming your way. You are not immune.
Captain Willie is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 07:53 AM
  #96  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 8,781
Default

Originally Posted by Capt.Willie View Post
Actually--If you can do time for speeding, be arrested, or booked it is a misdemeanor crime.








Nope, it's still an infraction. We just do not release the driver on his own signature (promise to appear) and force him to appear in traffic court before he gets to go home...

Traffic court, which is handled by a traffic commisioner (and not a "judge") is for infractions only. Misdemeanors are handled in the municipal court system and by judges.

As I said, this is in CA, your state may vary...
ABoater is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 07:54 AM
  #97  
Senior Member
 
Captain Willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: HAAF
Posts: 25,434
Default

Originally Posted by ABoater View Post
Nope, it's still an infraction. We just do not release the driver on his own signature (promise to appear) and force him to appear in traffic court before he gets to go home...

Traffic court, which is handled by a traffic commisioner (and not a "judge") is for infractions only. Misdemeanors are handled in the municipal court system and by judges.

As I said, this is in CA, your state may vary...
I hear you. Can you get probation and or jail time for speeding in Ca? Most states can. If not then you are correct. Let me know because I am curious.
Captain Willie is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 08:00 AM
  #98  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 8,781
Default

Originally Posted by Capt.Willie View Post
I hear you. Can you get probation and or jail time for speeding in Ca? Most states can. If not then you are correct. Let me know because I am curious.









No. Not for traffic infractions. For example, speeding (reckless driving aside).

Citations result in fines and points on your driving record (traffic school and community service might be offered in lieu of fines and points).

A recent law for juveniles (probationary driver's license) is a little twist on the matter, but the cites are still infractions. It's just that the juvenile can have their license yanked until they are an adult.
ABoater is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 AM
  #99  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,295
Default

Originally Posted by Capt.Willie View Post
That is what it is all about. Not traffic control. Not safety. REVENUE.

Wake up before your pockets get emptied by the next scam comming your way. You are not immune.
I am not worried about getting a red light camera ticket at all.

I stop for red lights.
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 08:07 AM
  #100  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,295
Default

Originally Posted by WildSideFL View Post
Except when the for profit corporation issues and collects for something that was never a violation of the law. The issue is not running red lights like you are stuck on. The issue is that now Walmart has legal precedence to issue and collect tickets for violation of their interpretation of laws witnessed by their security cameras. My ticket was computer generated from Arizona for an infraction that never occurred in Florida City, when I said I wanted to fight it I was lied to and told it could result in points and I should just pay it. All in the name of corporate profit. Tell me how that is a good thing? A LEO would not have issued a ticket to me as upheld by the dismissal.
It must good thing because all you guys who run red lights don't like it.
Seacat FL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread