Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

More guns - A Little Steel Shooting

Notices

More guns - A Little Steel Shooting

Old 05-07-2011, 01:58 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Marlin009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast FL
Posts: 15,650
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Default More guns - A Little Steel Shooting

My daughter and I went to the steel match at the Hernando Sportsman's Club today.
We were shooting in the rimfire open pistol class with my Ruger Mark III with a Tru-Glo Red Dot sight.

This was only the fourth time she has shot this gun and only the second time shooting for speed and accuracy.
She has only been shooting for a year.

Morgan beat me in two of the four stages but I did manage to beat her overall time for the tie-breaker.
I was pretty impressed with her shooting.

You shoot four stages of five targets, five runs each stage. Drop the slowest time of the five runs and total the rest.
She had 78.07 and I had 68.29. I'm interested to see how we placed.

I forgot that I had the camera until she was up to shoot the last stage.
I did manage to get the last four runs in that one. The yellow plate is the stop plate, you shoot that last.
The back target is just under 20 yards and the closest one is about 15.

To top off what was already a great day for a dad,
one of the guys I've been shooting with was selling his three week old Sig522 OD Green with a Tru-Glo 4 reticle Red Dot,
two 25 round mags, foregrip and side rails. I love the holidays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvx1D8kyWC4
Old 05-07-2011, 02:23 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern , Ontario
Posts: 247
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

My daughter could never quite catch up to me shooting IPSC
Old 05-07-2011, 03:39 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Charleston, SC, USA!
Posts: 2,407
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts
Default

Awesome. Congrats to both of you!!
Old 05-07-2011, 05:12 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Marlin009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast FL
Posts: 15,650
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GeorgeRapai View Post
My daughter could never quite catch up to me shooting IPSC
We have a little rivalry going here. I'm going to need to step it up, she's catching on quickly. Must be the young eyes.

Originally Posted by Reelescape1 View Post
Awesome. Congrats to both of you!!
Thanks. We had a great time.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:15 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NoneYa
Posts: 4,509
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Did not watch the whole video but she sure went through those clips fast.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:13 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern , Ontario
Posts: 247
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

They are magazines or mags.
RO or range officer was slack as well as the range commands , IMO.
She needs more dicipline on the range and so do the RO's.
5 hits on steel at that range , she did well at her level .
Draw was at a tip down , not a draw. I have timed shooters from a holster , double tap 4 targets at under 2 secs , regular basis. I see natural talent .X2
She should take IPSC qualification , competition level , custom gun , 9 mil or something in "minor , junior , " as a gitgo , a soft minor 40 as a step up or a production model , which is small , handleable , but technically challenging , but a reasonable cal. for her age and grip/control .
MO , look into it for her , it is a great aspect of sport shooting , plus she could excell at her " niche" of shooting and you might enjoy it as well , a sort of bonding plus , there is a lot of accessment , analysis , tacticts etc.you could discuss , banter ,test , time etc. Plus , reloading is a quality time for technical discussion , testing loads , powders , it goes on & on.
I know rim fire is fun & cheap and what I'm suggesting can be a bit costly , but , she will kick your butt , so go talent/tech development and your her pappy .
Old 05-08-2011, 07:50 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Marlin009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast FL
Posts: 15,650
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Did not watch the whole video but she sure went through those clips fast.
It was only 1 minute and 3 seconds long. Did you fall asleep.


Originally Posted by GeorgeRapai View Post
They are magazines or mags.
RO or range officer was slack as well as the range commands , IMO.
She needs more dicipline on the range and so do the RO's.
5 hits on steel at that range , she did well at her level .
Draw was at a tip down , not a draw. I have timed shooters from a holster , double tap 4 targets at under 2 secs , regular basis. I see natural talent .X2
She should take IPSC qualification , competition level , custom gun , 9 mil or something in "minor , junior , " as a gitgo , a soft minor 40 as a step up or a production model , which is small , handleable , but technically challenging , but a reasonable cal. for her age and grip/control .
MO , look into it for her , it is a great aspect of sport shooting , plus she could excell at her " niche" of shooting and you might enjoy it as well , a sort of bonding plus , there is a lot of accessment , analysis , tacticts etc.you could discuss , banter ,test , time etc. Plus , reloading is a quality time for technical discussion , testing loads , powders , it goes on & on.
I know rim fire is fun & cheap and what I'm suggesting can be a bit costly , but , she will kick your butt , so go talent/tech development and your her pappy .
George, I appreciate the compliments.

I agree she has some natural talent and could be very good with some practice. Of the 20 runs she shot, three were in the 3 second range and 8 were in the 4 second range.
She's a full time student at UF so our opportunities to shoot are limited.

I'm curious what you saw in the video that indicated a lack of discipline on her part. I'm always willing to learn from more experienced shooters and will pass it along.

As far as the RO, the only thing I noticed was he was not saying "shooter ready" before saying "stand-by" and hitting the timer.
Prior to starting the stage, they do ask "do you understand the COF" and give the "load and make ready" command, but it happened before I got the camera going.

As far as moving up in competition, she has a Glock 19 and is pretty good with it but we've just been target shooting working on the basics. That may come down the road. She really enjoys it.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:14 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
ladyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lake champlain vermont
Posts: 30,179
Likes: 0
Received 781 Likes on 496 Posts
Default

good shooting keep it in the ten ring!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.