The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   Plumbing estimate sticker shock (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/342624-plumbing-estimate-sticker-shock.html)

tcontic 04-06-2011 10:12 AM

Plumbing estimate sticker shock
 
I'm remodeling a half bath in my home and need some plumbing work done:

1) Remove and Install Toilet
2) Replace toilet shutoff valve
3) Change from pedestal to wall mounted sink
a. Move two supply lines over 2 inches
b. Move drain over two inches
c. Mount sink
4) Install sink & faucet

I received three estimates, $850, $750 and $650.

It's been a while since I've done any plumbing work, do these seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

bamaboy473 04-06-2011 10:17 AM

What are the drain and water lines made out of, and how easy are they to access? How old is the system? It seems like the plumbers are expecting a full day's job or maybe a bit more than a day ( if there are surprises).

tcontic 04-06-2011 10:21 AM


Originally Posted by bamaboy473 (Post 3663484)
What are the drain and water lines made out of, and how easy are they to access? How old is the system? It seems like the plumbers are expecting a full day's job or maybe a bit more than a day ( if there are surprises).

All supply and drain lines are copper, original to the house about 30 years old. All pipes are exposed and accessible, room is gutted. Pipes seem solid, all estimates are to use existing copper pipes.

bamaboy473 04-06-2011 10:24 AM

I'm not plumber (as another thread proves :grin:) but I bet that the cost of copper has a good bit to do with the estimate if that's a labor/material price.

RI Builder 04-06-2011 10:32 AM


Originally Posted by tcontic (Post 3663471)
I'm remodeling a half bath in my home and need some plumbing work done:

1) Remove and Install Toilet
2) Replace toilet shutoff valve
3) Change from pedestal to wall mounted sink
a. Move two supply lines over 2 inches
b. Move drain over two inches
c. Mount sink
4) Install sink & faucet

I received three estimates, $850, $750 and $650.

It's been a while since I've done any plumbing work, do these seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

Where are you, because here, those prices would be on the low side for materials+labor.

bjm9818 04-06-2011 10:34 AM

700 isn't a bad price. If the place is gutted he will have to be there twice(rough in and then install) Install a sink and vanity can be a PITA depending on what faucet you go with.

tcontic 04-06-2011 10:35 AM


Originally Posted by RI Builder (Post 3663534)
Where are you, because here, those prices would be on the low side for materials+labor.

Long Island, NY

tcontic 04-06-2011 10:36 AM


Originally Posted by bjm9818 (Post 3663541)
700 isn't a bad price. If the place is gutted he will have to be there twice(rough in and then install) Install a sink and vanity can be a PITA depending on what faucet you go with.

Yes, he'll have to be on site twice. Complete rough in and cap off pipes, then finish installation.

RI Builder 04-06-2011 10:39 AM


Originally Posted by tcontic (Post 3663546)
Long Island, NY


Materials and labor - low

Labor only, in line and decent prices.

They are factoring in 2 visits to site and if no GC probably a little PITA cushion for dealing directly with a home owner acting as GC.

Flot 04-06-2011 11:53 AM


Originally Posted by tcontic (Post 3663551)
Yes, he'll have to be on site twice. Complete rough in and cap off pipes, then finish installation.

Split the job into two pieces and $650 seems fairly reasonable. The "real" plumbing work looks pretty minor, it's more the hassle of coming back twice and then doing things like hanging a wall mounted sink etc.

Of course, it does seem like pretty simple work that a 'handyman' type might do for $250-350.

ladyjane 04-06-2011 12:14 PM

up here those prices would be low

Ft Myers Ken 04-06-2011 12:48 PM

Pick the guy in the middle, call him up and tell him the lower bid was $650 but you like him best.... and you'd like to give him the job for $700. He'll probably say yes. If not- hire him anyway!

Mist-Rest 04-06-2011 12:55 PM

I wouldn't bitch.


I also don't know any poor plumbers.:grin:

bsh102 04-06-2011 12:56 PM

Those estimates seem pretty low considering most service companies are going to charge approx. $70 to $100 per hour for labor and he has to make two trips to complete job.

LI Sound Grunt 04-06-2011 01:14 PM

Yea I think it has nothing to do with padding it for a direct customer. The guy wants a days pay and 2 trips - seems fair to me. And sure a handy man with no overhead can do it for less- but you gotta know the right guy. The fact that they are close tells you its probbaly a decent fair price. Just had a 500 buck euro style hi capacity radiator installed to replace a small baseboard and had new circuator pump gaskets, a new air removal system (forget what they are called) and 4 new brass faucet/bleeders for the 4 different zones and associated parts and bleeding for 1600 P and L. 2 guys here for the better part of a day.

twobyfour 04-06-2011 01:39 PM

For new work, my plumber gets $350 to $450 per fixture, not including the fixture, depending on the house. A fixture is a toilet, sink, , shower, tub, washing machine, pretty much anything that requires a hot and cold waterline and drain to be run to it. In this case, you have 2 fixtures. But this is not new work, and its hard to compare to normal pricing, but I'd say they are all inline. The last thing you want is some jack leg to hook the stuff up.. If you've done any plumbing before, I don't see why you couldn't do this.

Mr. Demeanor 04-06-2011 01:47 PM

I would pay myself the money and do it. Nothing to tough there.

DoubleO7 04-06-2011 02:03 PM


Originally Posted by tcontic (Post 3663471)
I'm remodeling a half bath in my home and need some plumbing work done:

1) Remove and Install Toilet
2) Replace toilet shutoff valve
3) Change from pedestal to wall mounted sink
a. Move two supply lines over 2 inches
b. Move drain over two inches
c. Mount sink
4) Install sink & faucet

I received three estimates, $850, $750 and $650.

It's been a while since I've done any plumbing work, do these seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

Take out the 2 inch move and you could save a bunch.

tcontic 04-06-2011 02:15 PM


Originally Posted by DoubleO7 (Post 3664082)
Take out the 2 inch move and you could save a bunch.

Not an option as the exposed plumbing would not be centered on the wall mounted sink. My plumbing skills are poor at best, solder and fire are not my friends I know my limitations.

Tom

dahlbebop 04-06-2011 02:22 PM

Those prices are not expensive, I would trust the one for $850.00. Plumbing and electrical are usually the most expensive sub on any project. Sounds reasonable for my area. Hell, I don't leave the house for less than $500.00 a day to cover fuel, overhead, experience, insurance, plus material and he has already been there once just to bid the job.etc,etc,etc


Originally Posted by tcontic (Post 3664102)
Not an option as the exposed plumbing would not be centered on the wall mounted sink. My plumbing skills are poor at best, solder and fire are not my friends I know my limitations.

Tom



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.