Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

West Marine just lost my business.

Notices

West Marine just lost my business.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:31 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Turks and Caicos Island
Posts: 7,537
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default West Marine just lost my business.

Well, I decided to try West Marine. Of course I've been in their stores over the years, bought stuff like that. But now I really need a good marine supply house that carries a lot of different stuff, that I can establish my shipping and billing details with, and order stuff on a regular basis. I need a bunch of stuff for our new skiff, and was just about to put the order in with West Marine.

Oh, one of the reasons I chose West was because I saw that they offer International Shipping. This is good. I live on an island 700 miles south of Miami. Just the other side of the Bahamas. UPS and Fed Ex deliver here.

Well, I got my list together this morning. A VHF, antenna, Fulton swing hinge for the trailer, four cleats, swim ladder, paddles, and backrest.

Then I went through the Shopping Cart thing to determine my total, and to Checkout....and the merchandise total came to $ 797.10.

Well, okay. I was expecting something expensive, so there it is. THEN I look at the next line, and West has totalled up the shipping and handling charges as:

$1,245.70.

Is that insane, or what? West expects me to pay them twelve hundred dollars shipping and handling to send 8 hundred dollars worth of overpriced marine hardware an hour south of Miami?

What hurts is that Fed Ex is the only shipping option they give me. I suspect this should all cost about $ 200 via UPS, but that's not an option.

UPS gets stuff here in 24 hours from Florida. Fed Ex, well, three days would be at their peak efficiency.

So I ain't gonna be buying stuff from West Marine.

Do you guys know any other marine supply houses that might have this stuff?
Old 03-26-2011, 02:35 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: louisville Ky
Posts: 2,390
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Try iboats.com
Old 03-26-2011, 02:53 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Coast of America
Posts: 7,269
Received 202 Likes on 101 Posts
Default

I always had good luck with Boaters World, especially on pricing. They ship internationally also:

http://www.boatersworld.com/help/international.htm
Old 03-26-2011, 02:57 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albemarle Sound Management Area
Posts: 6,224
Likes: 0
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Defender does international shipping.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:56 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,307
Likes: 0
Received 201 Likes on 115 Posts
Default

You need to find someone you can trust to make the purchase then go elsewhere to ship for you at a reasonable cost.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:56 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: illinois
Posts: 333
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Just bought several items from hodge marine. selected the cheaper land shipping, was here in three days. They had the best prices of all the sellers I looked at.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:06 PM
  #7  
SIM
Senior MemberVendorCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Washington Island,Wi USA
Posts: 13,904
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Knowing how websites can work for calculating shipping charges, I would highly suggest calling West Marine and asking if that is accurate.

Our websites have a shipping calculator configured into them, but with international shipments its so far off, its ridiculous. We turned that feature off and we will email a quote for shipping after the order is placed. The customer has the option to cancel the order if they want then. Not convenient, but it works.

I think Jim at BOE sells that kind of stuff too.

EDIT: You have heavier items, and I think those VHF antenna's can be a pricey shipping item too.

Andy
Old 03-26-2011, 04:12 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,424
Received 2,650 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Default

I don't know if West's shipping program is right or not. But I can tell you one thing for 20 years of experience. People have exactly ZERO idea of how expensive it is to ship things. Even more so if you want it shipped properly.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:16 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Davie / Islamorada
Posts: 12,374
Likes: 0
Received 1,014 Likes on 475 Posts
Default

My buddy Adam owns this company.... Just send him email and he will do the rest - tell em Andrew (Triple Net) sent you..

http://www.clairesmarineoutfitters.com/
Old 03-26-2011, 04:16 PM
  #10  
gf
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 13,069
Received 285 Likes on 215 Posts
Default

Try Hamilton Marine in ME or Defender in CT. They are used to shipping stuff everywhere.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:34 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,307
Likes: 0
Received 201 Likes on 115 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
I don't know if West's shipping program is right or not. But I can tell you one thing for 20 years of experience. People have exactly ZERO idea of how expensive it is to ship things. Even more so if you want it shipped properly.
You got that right, especially when "air" is involved.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:41 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 8,781
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SIM View Post
I think Jim at BOE sells that kind of stuff too.

EDIT: You have heavier items, and I think those VHF antenna's can be a pricey shipping item too.

Andy








As usual, Andy is right on!

Yeah, 8' VHF antenna's (or anything else that long... fishing rod for example) are $$$ to ship...

Good luck!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:42 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Turks and Caicos Island
Posts: 7,537
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Thanks for the ideas. All I really need is someone who can just ship UPS, as a normal way of doing business. The shipping forms are almost the same as the domestic ones, couple more lines for information. Easy.

I tried iBoats; they don't ship here. I had a huge problem with them last year. I specified (and paid for ) UPS. They shipped USPS. it took three weeks. I was just glad it made it. They stopped talking to me, after I complained that they charged me $ 40 shipping for UPS, when they shipped for $ 14 with the US Post office, after I specifically told them NOT to use mail under any circumstances. they kept my extra $ 25.

I tried Boaters World. They only list 34 countries out of about 200 in the world. This isn't one of them.

tell ya what hurts.....after I finally get the stuff shipped here, in addition to the UPS charges ( I am guessing around $ 200 or so for this shipment) I then have to pay the local gov't another 40% of the invoice value for import duty. ouch.

I'll work my way through the other ones.

I wanted to fit the two paddles and a VHF antenna in the same shipment. I am going for one of the little three foot steel whip antennas. I don't really have a good spot for a big fiberglass whip.

The boarding ladder/swim platform will be a few pounds. The Taco leaning post back is bulky, but not heavy.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:43 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 2,129
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Well, I decided to try West Marine. Of course I've been in their stores over the years, bought stuff like that. But now I really need a good marine supply house that carries a lot of different stuff, that I can establish my shipping and billing details with, and order stuff on a regular basis. I need a bunch of stuff for our new skiff, and was just about to put the order in with West Marine.

Oh, one of the reasons I chose West was because I saw that they offer International Shipping. This is good. I live on an island 700 miles south of Miami. Just the other side of the Bahamas. UPS and Fed Ex deliver here.

Well, I got my list together this morning. A VHF, antenna, Fulton swing hinge for the trailer, four cleats, swim ladder, paddles, and backrest.

Then I went through the Shopping Cart thing to determine my total, and to Checkout....and the merchandise total came to $ 797.10.

Well, okay. I was expecting something expensive, so there it is. THEN I look at the next line, and West has totalled up the shipping and handling charges as:

$1,245.70.

Is that insane, or what? West expects me to pay them twelve hundred dollars shipping and handling to send 8 hundred dollars worth of overpriced marine hardware an hour south of Miami?

What hurts is that Fed Ex is the only shipping option they give me. I suspect this should all cost about $ 200 via UPS, but that's not an option.

UPS gets stuff here in 24 hours from Florida. Fed Ex, well, three days would be at their peak efficiency.

So I ain't gonna be buying stuff from West Marine.

Do you guys know any other marine supply houses that might have this stuff?
Cleats and Swing Hitch are heavy--very heavy so that's part of problem. They also figure in Customs Duties and special packaging htat drives up total shipping cost. $1200 is high but wonder how much the Customs charge are ??
Old 03-26-2011, 04:45 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 2,129
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Also check Boat Owner Warehouse in Miami for your destination.. http://www.boatownerswarehouse.com/ ..
Old 03-26-2011, 05:13 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Turks and Caicos Island
Posts: 7,537
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by NoFearEyes View Post
Cleats and Swing Hitch are heavy--very heavy so that's part of problem. They also figure in Customs Duties and special packaging htat drives up total shipping cost. $1200 is high but wonder how much the Customs charge are ??

Well, the cleats are six inches long and plastic. yeah, the swing hitch should weigh a few lbs.

There's no customs duties included in their prices. Vendors in the USA do not collect customs duties for foreign governments. I will pay another 40% of the invoice price when it gets here. I pay that directly at this end.

There's no special packaging. You package up two radios. You put them both on the UPS truck. They put them on two identical Boeing airplanes. One goes to Seattle. One goes to Providenciales. Nothing to do with packaging.

now I've tried Defender ( they don't carry some of the stuff) and I tried Claires Marine ( nope) and Hamilton Marine. Also struck out there.

Still looking.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:20 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Coast of America
Posts: 7,269
Received 202 Likes on 101 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Crabpot Man View Post
Defender does international shipping.
Another good company to do business with.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:17 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location:
Posts: 1,927
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Defender Industries in Waterford, CT.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:09 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,301
Likes: 0
Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts
Default

Sent you a PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:10 PM
  #20  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Posts: 16,359
Received 1,054 Likes on 591 Posts
Default

$1245..lol..that's just stupid.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.